Options

advice on new router to replace bt please

wsgwsg Posts: 185
Forum Member
I have bt infinity and have a lot of trouble with it and would like to change it for another make to work with my apple mac book.Any advise on which model would be the best to have ,thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    There must be someone out there who has replaced a bt hub 4 with a better quality router to work with a MacBook?
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are plenty of alternative routers available, including TP-Link models, but to avoid having to use the BT modem, they must be VDSL capable, not just ADSL routers. You can then connect direct to the socket on the wall.

You will need a standard username of "homehub@btbroadband.com" and a password of "BT".

I imagine that your Mac uses normal WiFi, so should work with most, if not all, routers.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    They must also support the multicast protocol if you want to connect a Youview box to watch BT TV.

There is a busy thread over on the BT user forums which discusses alternatives and how to get them to work.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are several manufacturers making BT Infinity compatible modem/routers. I replace my HH5 with the TP-Link Archer VR900, it has been rock solid without any dropping of connections on wifi. The household connects Macgbook, MacBook Pro's, MacMini, iPad's, iPhone's and several other types of device without any problems. It is simple to set up and though relatively expensive has been well worth it for the lack of hassle.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I bought the TP-Link Archer VR900 a few months ago as I wanted a versatile router. I see it is now sold for £100, which is £25 less than I paid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the VR200, currently marketing at around £70. Seems OK, though have not had it too long, but no WiFi failures so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helpful advice guys thank you
  • Options
    BrayBray Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I've been using a ASUS ac router, works great http://pc4u.org/best-wireless-router-buying-guide/
  • Options
    psychopomp1psychopomp1 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Bray wrote: »
    I've been using a ASUS ac router, works great http://pc4u.org/best-wireless-router-buying-guide/

Dude OP was asking about a combined modem router, not a standalone router.

OP, if you can afford it the TP Link VR2600 and Netgear D7800 are currently the best modem routers out there (both 4 stream Mu-Mimo). However the Tp Link VR900 is also very good and i would recommend it if the VR2600 & D7800 are out of your budget.

A full list of current vdsl2 routers here:
    http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Dude OP was asking about a combined modem router, not a standalone router
    No they weren't. Do those devices even work with a fibre connection?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »

Well the OP asked "advice on new router to replace bt please" so that clearly implies they want a like for like replacement for their BT Home Hub, ie all-in-one vdsl2 router. 'Bray' give a list of standalone routers which WILL work on BT Infinity but will also require a vdsl2 modem such as Huawei HG612 or Draytek Vigor 130 in order to get a connection on vdsl2 (FTTC) service. The OP does not appear to be on a FTTP service.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Reading the original post it suggests they are looking for a replacement for the BT HHub which is a combined modem/router. The link above to the Kitz site lists VDSL modem/routers i.e those that work with VDSL specifically. The Asus link seems to be a router only so they would also need a separate modem to o go with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do those devices even work with a fibre connection?

Those routers i linked to on Kitz website are combined vdsl2 routers = for FTTC service = 'fibre router' to the layman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »
    Reading the original post it suggests they are looking for a replacement for the BT HHub which is a combined modem/router.
    That depends upon which model of HH is being used. At least the HH3 and maybe the 4 needed a separate modem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    That depends upon which model of HH is being used. At least the HH3 and maybe the 4 needed a separate modem.

Read post # 2 and then Google it to see if it includes a vdsl2 modem built-in ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read post # 2 and then Google it to see if it includes a vdsl2 modem built-in ;-)
    As far as I can see, as it is a HH4, the answer is that it does not.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before spending money talk to BT about your problem, their router may be faulty or there may be some local issue that will affect any router. I have no problems with a Mac on a TalkTalk router which I have always been told is inferior to the BT one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to have been a recent spate of problems with BT Home Hubs (various versions), particularly affecting their wireless reliability. Many people using wireless seem to have been suffering with regular severe speed reductions and disconnections, leaving Ethernet as the only option for getting to the Hub Manager to sort it out. I don't know of any explanation being confirmed, but perhaps an update at some time has caused it.

BT seem to have washed their hands of it, blaming the local environment. Strange that plenty of people have sorted their problem (in the same environment) by using a differently sourced router altogether.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wsg wrote: »
    I have bt infinity and have a lot of trouble with it and would like to change it for another make to work with my apple mac book.Any advise on which model would be the best to have ,thanks in advance.

What trouble do you have with it and what version of the homehub do you have? Maybe someone on here could help you sort it without you needing to buy a new router unless you want to.
    A mate of mine uses a Home hub 5 and also have a Mac book and it works fine, the only problem he have is with wi-fi calling on his Iphone and for that to work I had to separate the 2.5Mhz band from the 5Mhz and give them separate SSD and make sure the Iphone connect to the 2.5 band only, but that is the only problem.

Maybe try separating the bands if you are having problems
  • Options
    biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    What trouble do you have with it and what version of the homehub do you have? Maybe someone on here could help you sort it without you needing to buy a new router unless you want to.
    A mate of mine uses a Home hub 5 and also have a Mac book and it works fine, the only problem he have is with wi-fi calling on his Iphone and for that to work I had to separate the 2.5Mhz band from the 5Mhz and give them separate SSD and make sure the Iphone connect to the 2.5 band only, but that is the only problem.

Maybe try separating the bands if you are having problems

5 and 2.4GHz
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggyt wrote: »
    5 and 2.4GHz

Yeah, that as well :)

I have no idea why I keep putting 2.5m I know full well it is 2.4, thanks for the correction.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosmote are our phone / broadband supplier here on Rhodes.
    They replaced our router free of charge after 7 years usage.
    Just because the new one would be faster.