ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    I am a Titanic fanatic and from a very young age have read books/ watched documentaries about it.

I remember being very excited (but only 5 at the time!) when Titanic, the 1997 blockbuster, was released. To this day, I only watch the sinking scenes!

Can't wait for this version- but I'd like them to focus on less mentioned aspects of the sinking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ship sinks

:D

I'm looking forward to it but I am keeping an open mind

Boo Hoo I should never have opened that blessed spoiler, now I know the ending....:D:D

It does look ok and I will watch it, even though I dont think it starts until the beginning of April ???? :D
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Titanic. Made in Belfast; a failure before it set sail from a slum of a shipyard that, like the abortion of a statelet, [N ireland] that grew from it and embodied at source the pure hotbed of evil sectarian hatred that it carried on for nearly a hundred years. There's nothing to be proud of or celebrate in the Titanic or the sewer of a city it emerged from.

There's a lot of truth in the above.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    kegsie wrote: »
    I'm expecting it to be terrible.

I can't wait for the inevitable live commentary thread on here tearing it to shreds.

Actually if it turns out to be good I'll be quite disappointed:D

You are right of course. The story has been done to death. You would think that 48 films were enough already. My favourite is called A Night To Remember.
    Some of my ancesters really were aboard as stokers and stewards, one survived, he appears in the Ellis island records. My Grandmother waved her friends off from the dockside at Southampton where she lived.
    Most of the previous films have been based on the ship and crew rather than the passengers.
    Yes, the series will be picked to pieces whether it is good or bad because there has been so much to compare it with. I am expecting it to be a bit like Downton Abbey.
    The ending of James Cameron's film "Titanic." was superb and I doubt it can be topped.
  • billyboy789billyboy789 Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    The story has been done to death. You would think that 48 films were enough already.

Agreed, it's the most famous ship sinking in history, it's been researched, poked, prodded, in forensic detail by people with FAR too much time on their hands, down to the last detail of what company supplied the linen in the Third Class cabins.

ITV is on a roll with pre-war upper class drama these days so it will pander to the tastes of the Downting Abbott demographic.

It will be ruthlessly scanned over by the hordes of Titanic pedants who will bore us all to death with ITVs glaring errors of Titanicology.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm reliably informed" that this will be given the "Downton Treatment" and the reason why no ships came to the rescue, was because all the SOS messages went straight to voice-mail.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are right of course. The story has been done to death. You would think that 48 films were enough already. My favourite is called A Night To Remember.
    Some of my ancesters really were aboard as stokers and stewards, one survived, he appears in the Ellis island records. My Grandmother waved her friends off from the dockside at Southampton where she lived.
    Most of the previous films have been based on the ship and crew rather than the passengers.
    Yes, the series will be picked to pieces whether it is good or bad because there has been so much to compare it with. I am expecting it to be a bit like Downton Abbey.
    The ending of James Cameron's film "Titanic." was superb and I doubt it can be topped.

My favourite part of Cameron's film was the band playing 'Nearer My God to Thee' as the ship went down- incredibly moving.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curious to see this hope its not too much of an over the top pot boiler like the Cameron version from 1997. I dislike that version intensely in my opinion once you have see A night to remember with the great Kenneth More no other ones compare.
  • Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R.Vecchio wrote: »
    No spoilers in here please.

The ship sinks, oops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damien. wrote: »
    The ship sinks, oops.

HE HE!:D
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curious to see this hope its not too much of an over the top pot boiler like the Cameron version from 1997. I dislike that version intensely in my opinion once you have see A night to remember with the great Kenneth More no other ones compare.

Must check it out, I've heard that it's a lot more dignified than Cameron's blockbuster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must check it out, I've heard that it's a lot more dignified than Cameron's blockbuster.

Even "S.O.S Titanic" with David Jansen, Ian Holm and Helen Mirren, I thought better than Cameron's.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Agreed, it's the most famous ship sinking in history
    Apart from the Bismark, the Belgrano and possibly the Marie Rose.
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Damien. wrote: »
    The ship sinks, oops.

OMG, you fell for that story too.....:yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well put it this way there is no over the top romance just human stories of each of the characters. For the budget they had at the time its quite impressive and people who survived the Titanic were able to help giving there accounts to the actors. I highly recommend it.:)
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My mate's great grandad was one of the officers and will be watching to see if he is in it and who plays the part.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    cooperone wrote: »
    Boo Hoo I should never have opened that blessed spoiler, now I know the ending....:D:D

It does look ok and I will watch it, even though I dont think it starts until the beginning of April ???? :D

According to the previews the ship actually sinks four times!:D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Well, they did here.

There's a docutmentary about that Nazi version of the story on Channel 5 on Tuesday night at 8PM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    There's a documentary about that Nazi version of the story on Channel 5 on Tuesday night at 8PM

Talking of Nazis, the loss of life in the Titanic sinking was less than 20% of that with the torpedoing of the Willheim Gustloff, in January 1945, when it's estimated over 9,000 perished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little BTS video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PLjC-vc7L0

(with the lovely Jenna)
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this..the trailers have started on ITV and look good. I think it starts on Sun 25 March at 9pm.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, it's the most famous ship sinking in history, it's been researched, poked, prodded, in forensic detail by people with FAR too much time on their hands, down to the last detail of what company supplied the linen in the Third Class cabins.

ITV is on a roll with pre-war upper class drama these days so it will pander to the tastes of the Downting Abbott demographic.

It will be ruthlessly scanned over by the hordes of Titanic pedants who will bore us all to death with ITVs glaring errors of Titanicology.

Then don't read DS. Simples!
    I for one WILL criticise if they get too many details glaringly wrong.
    I have been fascinated in the RMS Titanic since I read Walter Lord's A Night to Remember when I was 7!
    It's one of the most moving and dramatic stories ever - in spite of the fact that there were fewer lives lost than in other disasters as one FM has pointed out.
    It was the combination of circumstances that makes it unfold like a Greek tragedy that is so endlessly fascinating.
    And the fact that the world started changing so rapidly after it happened with First WW, taxing the rich etc etc....
    As Fellows is writing for popularity and inventing characters I doubt it will bear much resemblance to reality but all the same, I will enjoy it if it's faithful to the gist of the story!
    Instead of carping at people who are genuinely interested in history, why don't you read the comments and learn something?
  • Press_EscPress_Esc Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the Titanic secret? it was carrying a secret Egyptian curse that inevitably contributed to it's demise, or that it's hold was carrying explosives which detonated post-iceberg collision and tearing the ship in two before it sank.
    Unlikely, but knowing ITVs consistency for throwing out god-awful plotlines any conspiracy theory going about the Titanic (including the name swap with the Olympic) is a possibility.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Press_Esc wrote: »
    What's the Titanic secret? it was carrying a secret Egyptian curse that inevitably contributed to it's demise, or that it's hold was carrying explosives which detonated post-iceberg collision and tearing the ship in two before it sank.
    Unlikely, but knowing ITVs consistency for throwing out god-awful plotlines any conspiracy theory going about the Titanic (including the name swap with the Olympic) is a possibility.

There was a good programme on SKY about rumours that Titanic was actually the Olympic, which had been seriously damaged in a collision with a Royal Navy ship.
    Despite the serious damage Olympic carried on in service for many years after Titanic samk.
    This would have made the Titanic sinking effectively an "Insurance job".

This would be a much more interesting drama subject than re-hashing the Titanic sinking yet again.