Sky box - recording and initialising problems

dm1983dm1983 Posts: 71
Forum Member
Over the last few days/week I have had a good few recordings fail due to no signal.

Right now, everything already planned has recorded ok and I can download on catchup, but when I try to add future recordings from the planner I am getting an error saying:

"Your box is still initialising, please return in a short time to use this feature"

I've looked at the back of the box and one of the coaxial cables going into one of the LNB bits seems to be broken and therefore loose. Could this be the cause? And if it is, how easy would it be to fix myself?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,452
    Forum Member
    Easy to fix, simply refit the F connector correctly, or if it's broken (rare, but you do see occasional ones) then fit a new F connector.

See:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm

Ignore the bit about silicon grease though :D
  • dm1983dm1983 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Basically with the connector on, it wont go into the box now.

With the connector removed it seems to stay in and is working for now...
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    That doesn't actually sound too great, I'd love to see a picture of it!
    :)
  • dm1983dm1983 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    That doesn't actually sound too great, I'd love to see a picture of it!

Hopefully this works although not the best of images

mv2rzn.jpg
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    The outer braid is almost certainly not making good contact with the outer screw of the socket as it should do, and the slightest touch it will fall out!
    Please don't leave it like that!
    The F-connectors you have look like the simple screw-on type looking at the other one, and the one you're not now using should just screw onto the end of the lead, until the centre conductor pokes out enough to go into the central hole of the socket.
    The outer braid will need to be pushed back over the outer sleeve, well away from the inner wire.
    It goes without saying that the outer braid and the inner wire must not touch, or be shorted together any other way, for instance by both touching the body of the plug.
    It should be really easy to fit those plugs, what exactly is going wrong when you try to fit it onto the lead?