Options

soap cliches that really get on your nerves.

Comments

• Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When a couple get engaged the wedding is nearly always within 2 or 3 months, whilst in real life people wait years to even save up for one.
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Someone has an affair, then the friend finds out and threatens to tell. The person who had the affair targets friend, convincing them to think about what he/she would destroy which leads to the friend giving them another chance. Boyfriend/girlfriend eventually finds out the truth and then ends up not talking to the friend and the cheater. Tears all around!

It's also similar to

"I have something to tell you"
    *other person distracts them by saying something else* then "What were you going to say?"
    "Um..never mind, it can wait"
    *6 months later*
    "YOU DID WHAT?!"
    *Enter full blown argument*

- Soap police arresting the innocent people

- Someone whispers something secret loudly and people who are close don't hear them
  • Options
    misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That if characters are having an affair they will give each other meaningful and flirtatious looks; often in a pub and no one ever notices.
  • Options
    hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    If someone tells a whopping lie about you then the whole community will immediately believe it and shun you, even if they have known you for years and the liar is a known villain.

yer I find that one annoying, Hollyoaks and Corrie are bad for that one.
  • Options
    nostalgic62nostalgic62 Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Job interviews, where people are already lined up in the same room waiting to be interviewed. It's just not like that:mad:
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Job interviews, where people are already lined up in the same room waiting to be interviewed. It's just not like that:mad:

It is sometimes (speaking from experience many years ago).
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    It is sometimes (speaking from experience many years ago).

I was in one a year ago when they interviewed two of us together. That was as much fun as it sounds:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By far it's people taking time off work for no proper reason. Laurel (ED) and Georgia (Neighbours) - I'm looking at you! :mad:
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,398
    Forum Member
    This!

Along with EE's Billy and his endless cycle of "getting sacked/being skint/being treated like crap by Phil yet keeps going back for more" storylines..:yawn:

Random long-lost relatives turning up purely to give (usually dull) characters some point to their continued existence in a show (this also applies to Billy).

Fights consisting of just one or two slaps or punches (with added cartoon-style sound effects) followed by the pair being separated by another character, saying: "Leave them, he or she is not worth it!"

EE is a major offender in these, in fact on the last one, Jack has said it to Max twice in as many episodes!
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    EE is a major offender in these, in fact on the last one, Jack has said it to Max twice in as many episodes!

Jack said it to Max twice in last episode! Carl was smiling at Max at the bar and Jack stopped Max going over to him, saying 'hes not worth it', then he dragged Max away from Carl and said the same thing about 10 minutes later.

Strangely, they let girl fights go on forever. I remember when they had Stacey have tons of cat fights with Janine and Chelsea a few years ago, and the fights used to go on for a good 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This!

Along with EE's Billy and his endless cycle of "getting sacked/being skint/being treated like crap by Phil yet keeps going back for more" storylines..:yawn:

Random long-lost relatives turning up purely to give (usually dull) characters some point to their continued existence in a show (this also applies to Billy).

Fights consisting of just one or two slaps or punches (with added cartoon-style sound effects) followed by the pair being separated by another character, saying: "Leave them, he or she is not worth it!"
    Jack said it to Max twice in last episode! Carl was smiling at Max at the bar and Jack stopped Max going over to him, saying 'hes not worth it', then he dragged Max away from Carl and said the same thing about 10 minutes later.

Strangely, they let girl fights go on forever. I remember when they had Stacey have tons of cat fights with Janine and Chelsea a few years ago, and the fights used to go on for a good 5 minutes.

That's cos they know they will get the male viewers in to watch the girlies wrestle, surprised they don't make them do it in mud.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's cos they know they will get the male viewers in to watch the girlies wrestle, surprised they don't make them do it in mud.

They did in Emmerdale a few years ago. It was between Jo & Sammy, they were fighting over Andy

http://youtu.be/6mUA9VAK1Rk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They did in Emmerdale a few years ago. It was between Jo & Sammy, they were fighting over Andy

http://youtu.be/6mUA9VAK1Rk

:D it's like WWE in the Country! Don't think that's mud though :o:D
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    "What about us? There is no us!" :sleep:

"I'll stick/put the kettle on", like a cup of tea will make everything better. Glad Sinead in Corrie picked up on this tired cliche and didn't know what to do.

"That was a stupid thing to say", well use your brain then. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    randomocityrandomocity Posts: 2,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Characters being too proud/stubborn to accept financial aid when they really need it.

"I'm not a charity case!" is often muttered.
  • Options
    EmrysEmrys Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Where do I begin.

1) Nobody can redecorate a room without throwing paint at each other.

2) No-one ever plans a holiday months in advance. They always go decide to the same day, the day or week after despite work commitments. The boss never refuses, in face they practically push them out the door.

3) I swear in Emmerdale they've been to Australia at a moments notice. And when Pauls boyfriend left for there a few years ago, someone actually said "If you ever want to see him it's only a days travel away".

4) Picking children up when they are evidently too big to be picked up.

5) Receiving a text is always something secret and usually dodgy.

6) Any newcomers never have any parents or friends from their "old" life. And at their wedding / funeral, no-one like that ever turns up!

7) All the kids hate school, and come home for lunch. If they're not skiving in the first place!

8) Making a phone call where the person picks up / a message is left within 2 seconds of dialing the number.

9) Even the newest barmaid / café worker gives someone a pint or a coffee "on the house". That would never happen!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Characters being too proud/stubborn to accept financial aid when they really need it.

"I'm not a charity case!" is often muttered.

:D

Yes!
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    "What can I get you?"
    "Just a pint please, love"

Then the barmaid goes to get a pint using her psychic powers as she doesn't need to ask what they want a pint of.

This doesn't happen so much any more but when people used to get texts off withheld numbers.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Characters abandoning their lives and moving away in the space of one or two days. Even characters who have children, a job and presumably a mortgage to pay can be ready to leave on a one-way ticket to Spain within a few hours. If you've committed a crime you can do so within a matter of minutes. In the real world it takes at least a few weeks to get away like that. If you're emigrating it really should take a couple of months in most cases...
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    "What can I get you?"
    "Just a pint please, love"

Then the barmaid goes to get a pint using her psychic powers as she doesn't need to ask what they want a pint of.

This doesn't happen so much any more but when people used to get texts off withheld numbers.

That was possible, me and my friends used to do it all the time at school. :p
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Previous relatives that have left can conveniently never get flights out to funerals/wedding. Michelle Fowler is a major offender.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    That was possible, me and my friends used to do it all the time at school. :p

Really? How does that work? Never heard of it in my life!
  • Options
    theworldisajoketheworldisajoke Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    felixrex wrote: »
    The whole trying to tell somebody some earth-shatteringly important news shtick that all the soaps must have used a billion times and then some - where the recipient of said news inevitably starts babbling over the news-giver with some banal diatribe (usually something that makes whatever the person is trying to tell them 1000x worse) despite the fact that that the person trying to tell them something is clearly distressed and anybody in that situation would have picked up on this and let them speak before going off on a tangent. Winds me right up. It's especially annoying when the babbler then rushes off, leaving the news-giver behind to huff anxiously into the camera.

Pauline Fowler used to the the Queen of this ^^^^
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way the camera lingers for a few seconds at the end of an exchange on one person watching the other walk away. Either with the evil grin already mentioned or some other predictable facial expression.

Although some of these can be quite funny when you have crappy actors who can't even do that right.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People saying:
    "I'll see myself out."
    I've never heard anyone say that in real life, ever.
    And
    "What's it to you?"
    Or that.

These are soap cliches and really overused but I do hear them in real life from time to time.

Although it's more "I'll LET myself out" when you go to walk them to the door.