Options

Should Corrie bosses be brave like EE and kill of a legacy character?

Comments

• Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayley , Jack and Vera to name but three
  • Options
    embrascotembrascot Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing brave about Eastenders killing off characters, legacy or not; it is done to boost ratings and not much else, they certainly make for boring storylines as they pad them out to try to better the opposition on the Christmas day edition. They don't even punish the killers.

Saying that, Corrie let off Tracy for murder so no real difference there.

The soaps are on too much these days especially with the extended episodes they like to have every now and again.

Emmerdale had its plane crash, Corrie the tram derailment, now EE should give us a bomb in the Queen Vic and get rid of a whole lot of them. What a programme that is for oversized, interbred families where everyone is angry and no-one ever has any fun.

Sorry, this is probably off-topic but I couldn't stop once I got started.

Anyway, the answer to the original question is No!
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like any good business, when its reviewing its structures and profitability and customer perspective its good practice to look at those ataff who are fee earners as to fee users. In terms of Corrie it boils down to Characters who add value to the storylines and those who don't and are a drain on the overall viewer enjoyment.

IMO Dev the disastrous and Sean the seemly useless should both die in a car crash , both at one followed by Fizz . Also maybe Ken Barlow and Rita having heart attacks when having it of with each other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's not a legacy character but Fiz really needs to go that whiney voice and the gap tooth do my head in. She can take Maria with her too
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Like any good business, when its reviewing its structures and profitability and customer perspective its good practice to look at those ataff who are fee earners as to fee users. In terms of Corrie it boils down to Characters who add value to the storylines and those who don't and are a drain on the overall viewer enjoyment.

IMO Dev the disastrous and Sean the seemly useless should both die in a car crash , both at one followed by Fizz . Also maybe Ken Barlow and Rita having heart attacks when having it of with each other.

So the question is Do Tracey David Nick and Sophie all brung added value and are they likely to continue to do so?
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think EastEnders characters are more popcult than Corrie's. I know many people who don't watch soaps, but could give me a long list of names from Walford.

I totally disagree with that. Sure you've got the likes of Ian, Phil, Dot and Sharon but Corrie have Ken, Dierdrie, Gail, Rita, Sally, Kevin and Audrey. This is just from the current cast.

I doubt many people who don't watch Eastenders could name the likes of Peter Beale
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kill off Sean. he serves no purpose and won't be missed!
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Sophie should leave, and be recast at a later date. It'd be a major mistake to kill off David and weirdly Tracy has grown into one of the best things about the show at the moment.

Totally agree! It seems that sometimes the ones who are not necessarily the best actors make the best characters. Deirdre is another - hopeless actress but the character is fabulous.

Back to the original thing - I never thought Lucy was a great loss to EE anyway - the character was dreadful - always was. I mean if EE were to kill off Ian Beale - then THAT would be brave.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think that would be a popular move rather than a brave move!
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it would just be pedestrian and amateur in line with everything else Blackburn has produced.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Cause EE is the be all and end all. At least around here.

Compared to Corrie it is right now.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We can only but dream.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eastenders have done this before, they killed angie off screen, one of walfords finest.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eastenders have done this before, they killed angie off screen, one of walfords finest.

That was definitely stupid rather than brave
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was definitely stupid rather than brave

Agreed!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    J-B wrote: »
    No, it would just be pedestrian and amateur in line with everything else Blackburn has produced.

I would advocate killing of a legacy character beyond/after the Blackburn era is over.Jason or Sophie for toast anyone?
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    EastEnders killed off legacy character Lucy Beale,daughter of the only original male character left Ian Beale.

Im not neccesarily suggesting Corrie have a legacy character murdrered but killed of.

I guess Im talking about Tracy Barlow,Sophie Webster or David Platt?At a push maybe Jason Grimshaw?

I would be happy to sign a petition to kill off Sean Tully/Anthony Cotton. :p
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please kill Sean, very slowly!
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    Please kill Sean, very slowly!

I would buy tickets to watch that! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would be happy to sign a petition to kill off Sean Tully/Anthony Cotton. :p

Is there enough internet space or enough trees in the world for the signatures for that petition?!;-):D
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Hello ?? Lucy Beale a "Legacy Character" :confused:

Purrrlease excuse me for laughing!

I always thought that a character in soap classed as a "Legacy" would be someone like Ken Barlow, Rita Fairclough, Angie Watts, Dot Cotton, Annie Sugden, Seth Armstrong etc.....

What the F*** is Lucy Beale??? A character in a soap! For a few years!

:o
  • Options
    Forum Member

I always thought that a character in soap classed as a "Legacy" would be someone like Ken Barlow, Rita Fairclough, Angie Watts, Dot Cotton, Annie Sugden, Seth Armstrong etc.....

Your confusing legacy and legend
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member

Like Hildaonpluto said, I think you're confusing the two :) Those characters you mentioned would be classed as legendary, no doubt about it, but a character like Lucy Beale would be a legacy character because of their heritage (in her case, only daughter of Ian Beale).
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be brave, just rather stupid to kill off any of Corrie's 'kids'. I long for the Websters to reunite in full, it's not the same without them all together - and for all the hate Rosie received wasn't it so much better when she was the focus and not Sophie?

The Platts should never, ever be touched. Killing off David or Sarah would be nothing short of sacrilege, particularly David, and I don't like the thought of ending the Tilsley line with Nick either. As for the Barlows - Christ no. We're already running on empty where they're concerned. We can't let the Barlows die with Ken.

No, I'd just rather they found a good storyline that didn't revolve around death. I'd quite happily go back to an entirely murder-free Coronation Street for life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corrie have been brave (well ridiculously stupid in my opinion) way back in 1964 they killed off lynn carol who played martha longhurst. corrie's biggest mistake in its 54 year history.