US Chart Preview: Olly Murs' Right Place, Right Time set to debut with 14-16k

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
Forum Member
I don't know what I feel about this :confused::o:cry:

I mean, even Conor Maynard with 0 songs on Hot 100 debuted with 15k and Olly has had 2 songs on Hot 100 and Troublemaker is almost top 10 on pop radio. omg

Comments

• Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he actually done any US tv promo?
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US thing might not happen for him, it seems. It's not the end of the world when you've got a thriving career in the UK to "fall back" on. Even with success in the US, such is the market out there just now, he'd probably not have sold as many albums out there as he does in the UK!

His single is still gaining a bit, albeit slowly, on pop radio out there so there is still some potential there.
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    That's like Cher's debut except half as much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Has he actually done any US tv promo?

yes, but just on flop tv shows! I wonder if Columbia has something planned for this week? :confused:
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    The US thing might not happen for him, it seems. It's not the end of the world when you've got a thriving career in the UK to "fall back" on. Even with success in the US, such is the market out there just now, he'd probably not have sold as many albums out there as he does in the UK!

His single is still gaining a bit, albeit slowly, on pop radio out there so there is still some potential there.

This. Those I know who bought it said it sounded like a Maroon 5 song (who are huge on pop now).
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »

btw, I just checked! Troublemaker just got to pop radio TOP 10 today and is almost surpassing Cher Lloyd's Want U Back radio peak of 56M, he is with 55M now.
    But at this time Cher was already top 5 on iTunes and he is like #30 or something so idk.
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    btw, I just checked! Troublemaker just got to pop radio TOP 10 today and is almost surpassing Cher Lloyd's Want U Back radio peak of 56M, he is with 55M now.
    But at this time Cher was already top 5 on iTunes and he is like #30 or something so idk.

Not Cher Llegend overcoming patriarchal suppression... by the way her peak was only 30m... and yet................
    Forum Member
    rombod wrote: »
    Not Cher Llegend overcoming patriarchal suppression... by the way her peak was only 30m... and yet................

no, just checked! Her AI peak on overall radio was 56M (Including POP, HOT AC and R)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, but just on flop tv shows! I wonder if Columbia has something planned for this week? :confused:

Wasn't he on 90210?
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least, he is very successfull in the UK.
    I understand that he wants to attempt to crack the US, it's a huge market, but he is lucky enough to not really need it to sustain his career.
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't he on 90210?

That show has been cancelled recently.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this by chance in an article:
    "he will be performing on ABC’s Good Morning America this Friday, after singing on lunchtime show The View yesterday."

Those seem like much better promo slots than the 90210 thing.
    Maybe the sales will rise :)
  • MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh, not really surprised about Olly's album numbers. He is a new artist in the US and while he has a hit song, this isn't enough to sell a lot. So his numbers are quite normal.

One Direction were a different case. Teens and tweens were drawn to them like a moth to a flame the moment they started doing US promo. They are a phenomenon.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    wise-up wrote: »
    That show has been cancelled recently.

Oh for goodness sake, there is so much incorrect info being passed around this thread, this takes the cake though.

1) 90210 is not cancelled YET. It is due to be cancelled but it is still on!
    2) Olly is set to preform on 90210 on 22nd April...so unless some of you have gone into the future, or changed your clocks for some bizarre reason, his performances haven't even happened yet.
    3) He's been in the top 100 with Troublemaker for nearly 14 weeks now and it's still climbing! Again it's not about so much what position you get, it's about how much you sell overall. Also we are not speaking in relative terms here, when Cher got her top 5, not that many hit singles were going on at the same time and the volume of sales was much less. There is much more consumerism happening in the US than back then.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was on The View ( ABC ) another great performance , and the album is in the top 10 on I tunes , doing so well, really proud of him .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also recently did Good morning AMERICA and Live with Kelly & Regis . Trouble maker is getting AirPlay on a mix of radio stations , not just pop radio .
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a very interesting or catchy song. Not even remotely as good as One directions intial hits (and I am NO one direction fan lol) I dont know if it will do well.

Cher Lloyds initial song was very catchy and appealing to the dance crowd as well as the young set, You could easily move along to it, and I'd even hear it at the gym.

rebecca ferguson was another that made the rounds of the morning shows in the US and had great reviews, but we've heard nothing of her since then.

It's hit or miss I admit,
  • MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    It's not a very interesting or catchy song. Not even remotely as good as One directions intial hits (and I am NO one direction fan lol) I dont know if it will do well.

Cher Lloyds initial song was very catchy and appealing to the dance crowd as well as the young set, You could easily move along to it, and I'd even hear it at the gym.

rebecca ferguson was another that made the rounds of the morning shows in the US and had great reviews, but we've heard nothing of her since then.

The song isn't a problem. It was a hit in the UK and Australia and is a hit in the USA. CHR radio is playing it and that says a lot - it's definitely passing all the "catchy song" standards.

Honestly, there are many artists with hit songs that don't sell many albums. Hit songs don't guarantee anything. Olly is a new artist in the US with a hit song and his album is selling in line with that.

One Direction sold better because teens discovered them. They are a different case.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for goodness sake, there is so much incorrect info being passed around this thread, this takes the cake though.

The show was canceled back in Feb. What you are seeing are the last episodes airing until the beginning of May. The show is kaput.

You dont think they're still filming do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »

Chers want u back was massive seller on I tunes before the airplay kicked in, which became pretty heavy , but I think the video really helped the song , it was pure genius . Regarding Rebecca ferguson , she did not get radio AirPlay and she does not work hard like Cher or Olly does . She was in US for a week or two doing promo , Cher had done 10 months and Olly is there now doing tv and live shows .
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2) Olly is set to preform on 90210 on 22nd April...so unless some of you have gone into the future, or changed your clocks for some bizarre reason, his performances haven't even happened yet.
    3) He's been in the top 100 with Troublemaker for nearly 14 weeks now and it's still climbing! Again it's not about so much what position you get, it's about how much you sell overall. Also we are not speaking in relative terms here, when Cher got her top 5, not that many hit singles were going on at the same time and the volume of sales was much less. There is much more consumerism happening in the US than back then.

Even if it is still on, the fact it is due to be cancelled suggests that it is not doing well and won't do much to boost his profile.

I am pleasantly surprised that he is having any success, and I say that as a fan of Olly. I never saw him as the type of artist to go to America, I was shocked when I heard he was touring with 1D so the fact his song is doing well and he has sold any albums is great to see. This is a decent start for a new artist in a new country who isn't tailored to the US market (Like Cher and 1D). I don't think it is right to compare his sales with theirs as 1D did not go over as brand new artists who nobody had really heard of, they went over with a huge fan base who had been waiting months for them to release music over there, the fact that the BTR tour was basically taken over by 1D fans shows this and their album was suited to USA market. Same as Cher's album and her audition had a lot of YouTube hits and she had a lot of attention as she was on the same year as 1D.

How much has Olly sold there (singles) so far?
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he'll be back on Xtra Factor this year then?

I think the whole point of him leaving was because everyone thought he was going to be this big international success story.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    I wonder if he'll be back on Xtra Factor this year then?

I think the whole point of him leaving was because everyone thought he was going to be this big international success story.

but he is a big international success story :)
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    The show was canceled back in Feb. What you are seeing are the last episodes airing until the beginning of May. The show is kaput.

You dont think they're still filming do you?

Honestly...this has nothing to do with any of that! Regardless of whether it has been filmed or not, the actual episodes in which Olly features have not aired yet. There is a difference between aired and filmed.

Also someone else said the fact that 90210 is being cancelled suggests that maybe it's not a good show to promote. WRONG, this is so unbelievably wrong:

1) Do people even realize how popular 90210 is abroad?
    2) Also American shows are big on their DVD boxsets, so Olly's performances will forever be in that and will be watched by generations of Americans.
    3) Many fans of 90210 don't actually watch the aired episode, they would watch it on youtube/iTunes download - so there.
    4) Also 90210 is watched by roughly 1 million viewers - most of whom are in the teen girl demographic. Olly's music caters to that market especially well, because of the Maroon 5 charm and sound. While 1 million may not sound like much compared to other shows, it's the relevant market and it's a popular TEEN show.

90210 will therefore be incontrovertibly the best thing to happen to Olly in America.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Has Olly's 09210 performance actually been filmed? If not, then how can it ever be aired? or watched?

Personally I hope he'll have a successful career in the US, his albums/singles are really good and he seems a really nice guy, so I hope he will open with 20k at least.