Options

Channel 5 HD

Comments

• Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Doubt it will happen while there's only a single version of 5-HD.

They would need another four 5-HD channels to cover all the current regional advertising variants they have in SD on 105.
    I know, see post 21 of this thread, where I mention the other four regions.
    Unless Sky are going to do all that for them I wouldn't expect it to move from 171 to 105 anytime soon.
    Well, C5 must be getting something out of any deal they've struck with Sky, and it'd only take an extra Sky transponder to be fired up, and they could launch the other four regions quite quickly. It's all possible, and C5 would steal a lead on the BBC, ITV and C4 with regards to any HD/SD swap.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Which package are you on? If you're a HD customer, you won't have lost 5HD. If you're not a HD customer, you've only lost something you weren't paying for.

And they have lost viewers!

Still, Channel 5 never gave a shit about them.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    H
    Still averaging 15 Mbps during an advert, not much has changed. 4-6% is within error really because it depends what is on the other channels on the transponder.

I think it is notably altered as all the same shows that were never below 5/6% (eg Under the Dome, CSI New York etc) have been lower in the past week than they were in the previous month or two - none now higher than 4%.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if FSFS gets canned. It has failed to disrupt Freesat as hoped, is probably failing to provide the upselling opportunities in the present climate, and is now an enabler for people who want to subscribe to BT Sport without a Sky sub.

Closing FSFS creates a bigger problem for BT than it does Sky.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they will go down the ITV 2 HD, ITV 3 HD and ITV 4 HD route and just be available to Sky subscribers with HD sub.

Why hopefully? Even as a HD pack customer (to get Sky Sports F1 HD) I recognise that it should be HD channels changing to be available for free rather than them changing to being a pay channel.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    Well, C5 must be getting something out of any deal they've struck with Sky, and it'd only take an extra Sky transponder to be fired up, and they could launch the other four regions quite quickly. It's all possible, and C5 would steal a lead on the BBC, ITV and C4 with regards to any HD/SD swap.
    It's possible but not really in Sky's interest, as it's them who would be using up valuable transponder space for no gain.

I'd have thought if anything Sky would be more keen to add 5* & 5USA to their HD portfolio as that would add more value to their HD pack and of course it would mean more income for CH5.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,595
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't be surprised if FSFS gets canned. It has failed to disrupt Freesat as hoped.

It was never intended for anything of the kind, and it considerably predated Freesat - if they wished Sky could easily have killed Freesat off when it first started.

FSFS was forced on Sky by the government, in order to facilitate DSO - Sky never wanted to do it.

Sky even announced the end of FSFS to the ASA's a couple of years ago, but then withdrew and denied it - presumably because it would have breached whatever government agreement created it.

But the FSFS cards have been pretty pointless for a good while now, and this makes them even more so - presumably if Sky aren't allowed to scrap it, making it valueless would serve the same end? :p
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I'd have thought if anything Sky would be more keen to add 5* & 5USA to their HD portfolio as that would add more value to their HD pack and of course it would mean more income for CH5.

I was thinking that myself while reading the posts on this thread.
    I cannot help but think this is part of a wider deal with includes the launch of 5USA HD & 5★ HD.
    Perhaps Sky are tightening their belts when it comes to financial help they offer for HD startup and want more out of it?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if FSFS gets canned. It has failed to disrupt Freesat as hoped, is probably failing to provide the upselling opportunities in the present climate, and is now an enabler for people who want to subscribe to BT Sport without a Sky sub.

Closing FSFS creates a bigger problem for BT than it does Sky.

yes I see it would kill BTs business as they offer channels 'free' with their broadband and that would be stopped unless you have a Sky sub.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May aswell start using an old CRT tv then as soon we won't have any HD channels unless we pay lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    yes I see it would kill BTs business as they offer channels 'free' with their broadband and that would be stopped unless you have a Sky sub.

I take it your tongue is in your cheek :yawn:

FSFS or a Sky Sub is required to receive BT Sport via satellite if you live outside the coverage of the DTT COM MUXes and can't get BT infinity. It also offers HD which DTT does not.

People in this situation can get FSFS and get BT Sport added to their card without needing a Sky sub. Hence it is a useful way for BT to distribute their channels, which need to be encrypted, off the back of the Sky platform.

Now you can argue this is the price Sky needs to pay for engineering a monopoly position in Pay satellite. But if they can ditch FSFS now DSO has passed then they will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was never intended for anything of the kind, and it considerably predated Freesat - if they wished Sky could easily have killed Freesat off when it first started.

FSFS was forced on Sky by the government, in order to facilitate DSO - Sky never wanted to do it.

Sky even announced the end of FSFS to the ASA's a couple of years ago, but then withdrew and denied it - presumably because it would have breached whatever government agreement created it.

But the FSFS cards have been pretty pointless for a good while now, and this makes them even more so - presumably if Sky aren't allowed to scrap it, making it valueless would serve the same end? :p

Although the FSFS launch predates Freesat it was launched following the breakdown of talks with the BBC regarding being part of the Freesat service which was being actively discussed at the time. The BBC even owned the Freesat trademark in 2004.

So I maintain that it was partly Sky's intention to disrupt the BBCs Freesat plans with FSFS, although at the time Freeview was considered the competitor
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I was thinking that myself while reading the posts on this thread.
    I cannot help but think this is part of a wider deal with includes the launch of 5USA HD & 5★ HD.
    Perhaps Sky are tightening their belts when it comes to financial help they offer for HD startup and want more out of it?

That would make sense and it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have SKY+HD Box with a basic Entertainment HD package

Ch5 HD is OK.

However

On my other SKY+HD Box, in bedroom, with no subscription, and no HD subscription, Ch5 HD now indicates I need to upgrade

Ch5 HD was OK on this second box before today.....

Which explains why my Bedroom SKY+HD Box had switched off and gone into standby earlier !!!
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    full Sky package here plus Multiscreen Channel 5 HD works
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, C5 must be getting something out of any deal they've struck with Sky

They get paid by Sky based on the number of HD subscribers just like ITV do for ITV 2HD/3HD/4HD.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have Sky HD EE so can still view it and recorded stuff like UTD.
    But feel sorry for others that have recorded stuff like this and can no longer watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Blame Dirty Des, the Channel funf owner
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 HD - you can't polish a t**d, but you can sprinke glitter over it.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    I notice they haven't been back to answer people on twitter. That's the usual channel 5 response: stick two fingers up at their viewers and ignore them.
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As has been discussed in other threads, Sky are likely to be replacing viewing cards next year. Obviously FSFS cards would have to be replaced as well, if they are still required. As it appears that there is little need for them now, then it looks like they will not go ahead and do so. One thing is for sure, they will not go ahead and replace cards just for the benefit of BT Sport. Anyone using a FSFS card for a BT Sport subscription will have to make an alternative arrangement.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    I notice they haven't been back to answer people on twitter. That's the usual channel 5 response: stick two fingers up at their viewers and ignore them.
    If you dislike Ch5 so much that you feel you have to badmouth it all over multiple threads, why do you care how they're behaving? Just don't watch it!!
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what's left on FTV now?
    These are the ones I've got listed-

Sony Movies
    Sony Movies+1
    Sky Poker.com
    LFCTV
    4Music and Sony TV too, I think.

Don't forget Motors UK TV.

Really can't understand FIve, first not on Freeview HD despite at least two opportunities, now not even FTV.
    Did anyone notice the Walking Dead series three was moved off 5HD to 5*, so SD only part way during the broadcasting of the series. Five why?
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred Smith wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the Walking Dead series three was moved off 5HD to 5*, so SD only part way during the broadcasting of the series. Five why?

Low viewing figures.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Low viewing figures.

will be even lower now that 5 HD is now Subscription rather then FTV