Options

Facebook Query

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello,

An ex girlfriend of mine sent me a text message last night asking about some photo's I took when we were an item.

I'm happy to let her have them but she wants me to contact her through facebok.

Now I have a facebook profile but I don't use it all that much and I don't really want to be drawn back into her world.

Is it possible for me to send the pictures to her facebook profile without being added as a "friend".

I asked her about email but she uses her work one and isn't allowed to recieve attachments.

Do I have no choice but to add her?

TIA

JaB

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Host it here and email/txt her the link

http://imageshack.us/
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell her you dont use facebook much. Ask her to open a yahoo or hotmail account and send them there. She can then print them off at an interent cafe or library if all she has is work internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    both good ideas.. I'll suggest those altho' she's not very computer wise...

bloody woman... part of me just wants to tell her where to go but its not really my nature.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Hello,

An ex girlfriend of mine sent me a text message last night asking about some photo's I took when we were an item.

I'm happy to let her have them but she wants me to contact her through facebok.

Now I have a facebook profile but I don't use it all that much and I don't really want to be drawn back into her world.

Is it possible for me to send the pictures to her facebook profile without being added as a "friend".

I asked her about email but she uses her work one and isn't allowed to recieve attachments.

Do I have no choice but to add her?

TIA

JaB

'allo Matey - long time no speak :)

Could you not just ask for her home address and post copies to her ? You know, the old fashioned way. I know you know how that works :p

But - am I being cynical here ?

She has access to facebook but does not have a personal email address ?? I find that a bit weird tbh. Maybe she is just using an excuse to get a link on FB :confused:

Strangely though, when I registered on FB I had to do it with my hotmail address as it would not accept my ntl address - I thought that was strange too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could you not just ask for her home address and post copies to her ? You know, the old fashioned way. I know you know how that works :p

She has access to facebook but does not have a personal email address ?? I find that a bit weird tbh. Maybe she is just using an excuse to get a link on FB :confused:

even use the link below for 50 free prints
    http://www.jessops.com/freeprints
    End date 31 December 09
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Strangely though, when I registered on FB I had to do it with my hotmail address as it would not accept my ntl address - I thought that was strange too.

Hello to you... :)

I think I've still got her address somewhere so yeah thats a possible as well. I don't know what her motives are TBH I suspect she just wants the pictures LOL
    In fact I think thats what I'll do... probably easiest cos I think the pictures are archived away on DVD anway. so it would be easiest option anyway.

As for the whole email thing , don't know don't care, would have prefered not to have heard from her at all. There's a whole circle of people in her world that I'd rather not get involved with...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was my thinking too - you have to have an e-mail address to open the FB account, so why can't that be used for the exchange of photos? If she used her work e-mail for it (I couldn't use mine), then she can use her home e-mail for the photos. The fact she wants the OP to send the photos through FB when most people don't want their exes on their FB account unless they're really good friends or they were over years ago makes me think this is either about re-establishing contact with the OP or using the photos via FB as a way of finding out what the OP is up to & who with.

OP, I wouldn't go along with her FB request - I suspect that will bring you headaches you can do without. I'd tell her that if she hasn't got a home e-mail she can use, she can either open a Hotmail account or a GMX one - both are free & both accept attachments. If she's not prepared to do that, then either open an online storage account like Photobucket just so that you can upload the photos to there (don't use it for anything else) & tell her to download them from there or put the photos in the post to her. If none of that's OK with her, then it's likely she does have ulterior motives & will just have to do without them. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was my thinking too - you have to have an e-mail address to open the FB account, so why can't that be used for the exchange of photos? If she used her work e-mail for it (I couldn't use mine), then she can use her home e-mail for the photos. The fact she wants the OP to send the photos through FB when most people don't want their exes on their FB account unless they're really good friends or they were over years ago makes me think this is either about re-establishing contact with the OP or using the photos via FB as a way of finding out what the OP is up to & who with.

OP, I wouldn't go along with her FB request - I suspect that will bring you headaches you can do without. I'd tell her that if she hasn't got a home e-mail she can use, she can either open a Hotmail account or a GMX one - both are free & both accept attachments. If she's not prepared to do that, then either open an online storage account like Photobucket just so that you can upload the photos to there (don't use it for anything else) & tell her to download them from there or put the photos in the post to her. If none of that's OK with her, then it's like she does have ulterior motives & will just have to do without them. :)

Exactly !

She can't want the photos THAT much and why should the OP be the one to make all the bloody concessions :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, I doubt she has any motive beyond getting the pictures but the circles she moves in are full of people I've broken contact with deliberately and they'll all be on her facebook as well.

Despite my earlier comment I don't actually have a problem with her being in touch, its more to do with the people around her.

mind you... I'm doing the 4 peaks challenge next summer so perhaps I could just see them all as extra potential sponsorship :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, I doubt she has any motive beyond getting the pictures but the circles she moves in are full of people I've broken contact with deliberately and they'll all be on her facebook as well.

Despite my earlier comment I don't actually have a problem with her being in touch, its more to do with the people around her.

mind you... I'm doing the 4 peaks challenge next summer so perhaps I could just see them all as extra potential sponsorship :D

Well there you go then - every cloud etc etc

'cept they'll probably all delete you when you start sending them requests for money.

Being asked to add to folks' virtual farms / gardens is tedious ad nauseum - asking for money is a complete no no ;)
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Open a second FB account, send the photos and then forget about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »

Can you do that? thats never even occurred to me!

Clearly I'm far too fundamentally honest :D

well you learn something new every day. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Can you do that? thats never even occurred to me!

Clearly I'm far too fundamentally honest :D

well you learn something new every day. :)

Brilliant Idea.

Would never have occurred to me either - but there is no reason not to - it's not like here on DS where you can only have one active ID.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right... here's my decision.

I've told her she can search and add me a as a friend.
    If she does that, I'll allow it, send the pictures and then delete her. That way no one will really get the chance to have a nose.

Or I'll send them via a DVD. which is about as far as I can be arsed to go.

I'll wait and see what she says / does

cheers everyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    You don't have to be her friend to send her a message. Just find her profile, and click Send <name> a message (below her photo). You can then attach the photos.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you add her then put her on limited profile. You can decide what she can see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She DEFINITELY wants to have a quick facebook stalk and is using the pics as an excuse!
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SourCherry wrote: »
    She DEFINITELY wants to have a quick facebook stalk and is using the pics as an excuse!

That's what I kind of thought. She was making things awfully difficult for someone who wants pics as a favour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being asked to add to folks' virtual farms / gardens is tedious ad nauseum - asking for money is a complete no no ;)
    So those things get on your nerves too - they make my head spin. I don't know why people who know you on there because of one aspect of your life think that now gives them the right to bombard you with loads of silliness. I've blocked some people from sending me these bits of nonsense, & a couple of people have been completely removed. If I was to involve myself in every bit of rubbish I get sent ("Cafe World" is another one of the many), I'd never come off there. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So those things get on your nerves too - they make my head spin. I don't know why people who know you on there because of one aspect of your life think that now gives them the right to bombard you with loads of silliness. I've blocked some people from sending me these bits of nonsense, & a couple of people have been completely removed. If I was to involve myself in every bit of rubbish I get sent ("Cafe World" is another one of the many), I'd never come off there. :)

I don't think they do send them to you though, do they ? I think it is just that what they are doing shows up on your status updates.

Can you block just those bits from showing up ??

I don't want to stop seeing friends updates altogether - just their farms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they do send them to you though, do they ? I think it is just that what they are doing shows up on your status updates.

Can you block just those bits from showing up ??

I don't want to stop seeing friends updates altogether - just their farms.
    When they sign up, they have to allow the program access to their profile & they can also invite people they know to join them. I usually get the invites the same day someone's profile/status updates to show they're signed up for whatever thing it is. I don't mind the update stuff so much as you can block the program - it's the repeated "So & so wants you to join them on their farm/in their cafe/be their neighbour" etc that bug me.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have thought if her work email didn't allow attachments they would have blocked social networking sites too. My work allows attachments, very occasionally they get caught up in the filter, but we don't get access to internet email accounts or social networking.

Why not put them on a USB stick, they're cheap enough off the high street now? And send the USB to her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should the OP have to go to any expense for her, regardless how little it actually costs? She wants the photos, so she should make it as easy as possible for the OP to supply them. If her existing account won't allow attachments, it would take her only a few minutes to set up another one that would. If she asked me for photos but wasn't prepared to do something so simple to get them & expected me to put myself out to help her, she'd have to do without.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SourCherry wrote: »
    ValLambert wrote: »
    That's what I kind of thought. She was making things awfully difficult for someone who wants pics as a favour.

well she'll be out of luck there then... I don't really put much on facebook that isn't already public knowledge... in fact I very rarely use it hence the question in the first place.

Anyway, I've had 2nd thoughts, I'm not going to send the pictures. They're part of my past and have certain feelings attached to them, I don't want her displaying them to all and sundry.. it doesn't feel right to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well she'll be out of luck there then... I don't really put much on facebook that isn't already public knowledge... in fact I very rarely use it hence the question in the first place.

Anyway, I've had 2nd thoughts, I'm not going to send the pictures. They're part of my past and have certain feelings attached to them, I don't want her displaying them to all and sundry.. it doesn't feel right to me.

Oooh ! They're not what might discreetly be called "life art" studies, are they ? ;)