Frankie Boyle in hot water over joke

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know this part makes me have to wonder 'I know talentless comedians like Jimmy Carr have a history and reputation of poking fun at people with disabilities, but I never expected it from Frankie Boyle. Not at all'

He didnt expect it from Frankie Boyle? Did this man not actually know of him before seeing him live?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'I know talentless comedians like Jimmy Carr
    Jimmy Carr is the funniest comedians around today - he has imagination and can make a joke out of any situation or word, unlike FB who's gutter humour is one dimensional and uninspired.
    He didnt expect it from Frankie Boyle? Did this man not actually know of him before seeing him live?
    Maybe she didn't do her research....:rolleyes:
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Imo the people this so-called 'comedy' appeals to are probably the ones who point, laugh and perhaps snigger about disabled people in the street.

Childish in the extreme.

oh yes I am constantly walking down the street pointing and laughing at disabled people, sometimes can't move for the laughter.

As has been said before Frankie is there to do a show, he puts an act on on stage, this woman was happy to laugh at all the other offensive things he said and if she was that upset with the DS comments why not just walk out instead of drawing attention to herself by talking in the front row
  • LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    oh yes I am constantly walking down the street pointing and laughing at disabled people, sometimes can't move for the laughter.

Don't take things so literally, because you've just made yourself look silly. ;)
    As has been said before Frankie is there to do a show, he puts an act on on stage, this woman was happy to laugh at all the other offensive things he said and if she was that upset with the DS comments why not just walk out instead of drawing attention to herself by talking in the front row

And how do you know she wasn't offended by other things that were said? If you look back at my previous posts you'll see that I have said that if the woman knew what Boyle was like, why did she buy a ticket to the show, but that doesn't negate her strong feelings about DS people having the pi$$ taken out of them.
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    It's all about what's socially acceptable to take the mick out of at any given time in history. 30 years ago, jokes based on race were perfectly acceptable and were even seen on prime time TV. However, had Mr Boyle been making "N word" style jokes instead of jokes about disabled people, he would have rightly been hounded out of the building. Why then is it right to make fun of somebody because of their disability but not because of the colour of their skin?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MickEden wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr is the funniest comedians around today - he has imagination and can make a joke out of any situation or word, unlike FB who's gutter humour is one dimensional and uninspired.

Uh. Yes. I love Jimmy Carr, hence why ive seen him live. That was a quote of something she said. I thought I had read it was the father but if it was the mother that complained then alreet I was wrong there.
  • kpmfankpmfan Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    It's all about what's socially acceptable to take the mick out of at any given time in history. 30 years ago, jokes based on race were perfectly acceptable and were even seen on prime time TV. However, had Mr Boyle been making "N word" style jokes instead of jokes about disabled people, he would have rightly been hounded out of the building. Why then is it right to make fun of somebody because of their disability but not because of the colour of their skin?

It's not. The truth is, far from being edgy or dangerous he's actually a lazy excuse for a comedian and a coward to boot, and the only reason he picks on disabled kids and not say black people or muslims is they're an easy target, and up to now he's been getting away with it and not been challenged.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »
    My neice has Down's and neither she nor I were offended by this joke. Frankie doesn't know her, he wasn't mocking her, it was a joke. It may have been in bad taste but life is too short to get worked up by such things.

I'm sorry but that shows a lot of ignorance about Down's. Down's is like any other disability, it has various different levels. My neice, for example, can certainly defend herself. If someone gives her grief she'll give grief back. I'm not sure where the idea that Down's sufferers are all helpless and child-like but it's simply not true. Extreme cases are, but most aren't.

And that is the crux of it all.
    Many of us 'defending' FB are doing so because:

We know that Frankie does NOT believe the content of his jokes, because they are just jokes, and like any performer, he has an IMAGE to live up to and thus his joke, AND his reaction to the woman not laughing etc. is PART of his act.

Many of the people attacking him are doing so because they are ignorant enough to think that the content of his jokes about Downs *may* be accurate descriptions of what many clearly see as children without the use of a working mind and mouth.

I for one was educated in a mixed physical and mental ability school.
    Many kids were 'super bright', many were disabled with conditions like CP, and many were kids with Down's who attended the school next door mostly, but had lessons with us too - that school was called 'Mapledown' (a name which should giv ea clue as to what kind of school it is).
    That, and having my eyes open as an adult, means that I for one realise that kids/people with Down's are NOT imbeciles unable to defend themselves, or unable to laugh, or understand most concepts (like humour).

In some ways, thiose ATTACKING Boyle for 'picking on the defenceless' are more ignorant than they are accusing him of being.
    Forum Member
    kpmfan wrote: »
    It's not. The truth is, far from being edgy or dangerous he's actually a lazy excuse for a comedian and a coward to boot, and the only reason he picks on disabled kids and not say black people or muslims is they're an easy target, and up to now he's been getting away with it and not been challenged.

And he doesn't also pick on the able bodied, rich, white, lawyer backed up people too?
    Like the Queen for instance? She is about the LEAST vulnerable person in the country, yet he is not afraid to make jokes about her as well as other people NOT considered vulnerable, or in a minority etc.

Such selective sight going on from people who, as I said before, cannot separate the ACT from the MAN, and choose to hate the man and only see the bits that offend them.

Your loss.
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »

i used to love Jim Davidson's "Chalky" jokes
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBHM wrote: »
    And that is the crux of it all.
    Many of us 'defending' FB are doing so because:

We know that Frankie does NOT believe the content of his jokes, because they are just jokes, and like any performer, he has an IMAGE to live up to and thus his joke, AND his reaction to the woman not laughing etc. is PART of his act.

Many of the people attacking him are doing so because they are ignorant enough to think that the content of his jokes about Downs *may* be accurate descriptions of what many clearly see as children without the use of a working mind and mouth.

I for one was educated in a mixed physical and mental ability school.
    Many kids were 'super bright', many were disabled with conditions like CP, and many were kids with Down's who attended the school next door mostly, but had lessons with us too - that school was called 'Mapledown' (a name which should giv ea clue as to what kind of school it is).
    That, and having my eyes open as an adult, means that I for one realise that kids/people with Down's are NOT imbeciles unable to defend themselves, or unable to laugh, or understand most concepts (like humour).

In some ways, thiose ATTACKING Boyle for 'picking on the defenceless' are more ignorant than they are accusing him of being.

Bravo and hearty salutations. 100% agree.
  • kpmfankpmfan Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    And he doesn't also pick on the able bodied, rich, white, lawyer backed up people too?
    Like the Queen for instance? She is about the LEAST vulnerable person in the country, yet he is not afraid to make jokes about her as well as other people NOT considered vulnerable, or in a minority etc.

Such selective sight going on from people who, as I said before, cannot separate the ACT from the MAN, and choose to hate the man and only see the bits that offend them.

Your loss.

Can't remember the last time the Queen sued a comedian for making jokes about her, so I'm not entirely sure the point your trying to make about his supposed "lack of fear" in that regard tbh. My point about his selection of soft targets and avoidance of challenging ones still stands.

My loss? Yeah well i'm sure i'll cope.

Comedians like him that pander to the out-dated attitudes of bigots and morons will always find an audience.
    I'm happy to say I'll never be one of them.
    Forum Member
    Can't remember the last time the Queen sued a comedian for making jokes about her, so I'm not entirely sure the point your trying to make about his supposed "lack of fear" in that regard tbh, so my point about his selection of soft targets and avoidance of challenging ones still stands.

Comedians like him that pander to the out-dated attitudes of bigots and morons will always find an audience.

I did, of course, make no such suggestion that he has been sued.
    I obviously implied that he is not afraid to pick on those who can fight back with ferocity.
    He does not just pick on the vulnerable or the minorities, hence much of the criticism in here is inaccurate.

But as ever in these forums, why let facts get in the way of a good person-bashing hey.

For the record, I don't necessarily defend Boyle's CHOICE of image, though I do find a good amount of his jokes to be funny.
    Even so, I still appreciate it is his choice, and is just an image, and has an audience (I have had the words 'supply and demand' thrust down my throat on this board a few times, so the same goes here I am sure).

I am also sensible enough to know that Frankie Boyle the man, not the comedian, is highly unlikely to think those things about (for instance) Down's affected people in his everyday life.
    But again, many people are too blind or naiive to be able to separate people from their public images.

Was John Wayne REALLY a hard man who couldn't show emotion? Doubtful.

Was Freddie Mercury a Macho man who was strong and loved the ladies?
    Nope.

Is Marylin Manson a devil worshipping, evil SOB with a black heart?
    Of course not.

So is Boyle really a bigotted, ignorant, offensive man who you need to keep your kids and other vulnerable family/friends away from?
    Get real.

By all means criticise his style, his humour, his choice of image etc. but every time someone insults the man himself because they have confused him with is act/image, they are showing their own ignorance.
  • hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did, of course, make no such suggestion that he has been sued.
    I obviously implied that he is not afraid to pick on those who can fight back with ferocity.
    He does not just pick on the vulnerable or the minorities, hence much of the criticism in here is inaccurate.

But as ever in these forums, why let facts get in the way of a good person-bashing hey.

By all means criticise his style, his humour, his choice of image etc. but every time someone insults the man himself because they have confused him with is act/image, they are showing their own ignorance.

The Queen very, very rarely responds to any criticism and certainly never does so with ferocity. She's a very soft target IMO.

I'd be very interested to read Frankie Boyle's reasons/justifications for selecting this material. I wonder when he'll be brave enough to stick his head above the parapet and give them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imo the people this so-called 'comedy' appeals to are probably the ones who point, laugh and perhaps snigger about disabled people in the street.

Childish in the extreme.

of course we are... sometimes for added kicks I push old people over as we walk down the street... my best score for one street is 5 old people!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people have suddenly tarred Frankie Boyle as a racist... im yet to here him make a racist joke??!
    Forum Member
    hicken wrote: »
    The Queen very, very rarely responds to any criticism and certainly never does so with ferocity. She's a very soft target IMO.

I'd be very interested to read Frankie Boyle's reasons/justifications for selecting this material. I wonder when he'll be brave enough to stick his head above the parapet and give them?

Oh come on, I clearly used The Queen as an example of someone at the OPPOSITE end of the vulnerability scale.
    Of course she does not respond, but it is WAY beside the point.
    The point is obviously that Boyle does not limit his humour to vulnerable people seen as defenseless by people.
    This accusation has been placed on him many times in this thread so I mentioned the Queen only to counter it.
    I could have used many examples but the Queen has the biggest impact because she is, as I say just about the LEAST vulnerable person in the land, but is not immune to his 'attacks'.

The reality that none of these non vulnerable people HAVE challenged him is irrelevant to the point.
    Clearly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on, I clearly used The Queen as an example of someone at the OPPOSITE end of the vulnerability scale.
    Of course she does not respond, but it is WAY beside the point.
    The point is obviously that Boyle does not limit his humour to vulnerable people seen as defenseless by people.
    This accusation has been placed on him many times in this thread so I mentioned the Queen only to counter it.
    I could have used many examples but the Queen has the biggest impact because she is, as I say just about the LEAST vulnerable person in the land, but is not immune to his 'attacks'.

The reality that none of these non vulnerable people HAVE challenged him is irrelevant to the point.
    Clearly.

I don't agree that the Queen is at the other end of the scale. That's my point. She's made vulnerable by her policy of not responding to criticism. I'd be interested to hear your other examples - seriously because I don't know. What 'strong' groups or individuals does he attack?
  • ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Can't remember the last time the Queen sued a comedian for making jokes about her, so I'm not entirely sure the point your trying to make about his supposed "lack of fear" in that regard tbh. My point about his selection of soft targets and avoidance of challenging ones still stands.

^^ amen to this ^^ apparently hes a tosser in real life anyway, so the "gervais defence" that he's only playing a role of an embittered sociopath is probably a misnomer. of course he could always say some of his best friends are downs syndrome and that they love it when he calls them mongs, but i somehow doubt that would be true.
    Forum Member
    hicken wrote: »
    I don't agree that the Queen is at the other end of the scale. That's my point. She's made vulnerable by her policy of not responding to criticism. I'd be interested to hear your other examples - seriously because I don't know. What 'strong' groups or individuals does he attack?

The Queen does not need to respond.
    She is 'invulnerable' because she has the ENTIRE establishment to act on her behalf.
    Please, The Queen, vulnerable? Pah.
    There is no need to mention other groups because the point is that Boyle tells jokes about ALL kinds of people, black, white, disabed, famous, poor, rich etc. etc.

Some people in this thread will have you believe he ONLY makes jokes about people seen as vulnerable or defenseless.

I countered that argument with FACTS and there is no need for me to go into it any further.
    The truth is that I do not 'follow' Frankie's career, I only catch him on shows like MTW (previously anyway) and I cannot remember every joke he has ever told, nor can I remember all the subjects he has joked about, but I know I have heard jokes about all kinds of people, including people fully able to defend themselves should they wish too.
    Which includes MOST people with Down's.

In fact, as I have said in other relevant threads in the past, having gone to school with kids with CP and other physical/mental disabilities, I KNOW for a fact that there is no shortage of humour in most of them, both outward and inward.

It is ignorant people who treat these people like glass objects who get offended, not the disabled themselves,
    Isn't that ironic.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MickEden wrote: »

It would be nice if Jimmy wrote his own material for a change instead of nicking it off other comics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    How do you know? having not heard the joke, you've just made up your mind he stood there and attacked people with DS. This quote has come from one person!!! No-one else int he audience has confirmed it...

I dont see how people can be offended by a joke they haven't heard yet?!

Ah, so what you're saying is that its just probable that he didn't have a go at people with DS he said no such thing, this woman has made the whole thing up just to cause trouble for your beloved Frank, cos i'm sure if this was the case others would have come forward and said so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not even really "edgy" and "dangerous" though, much as he loves to present himself as such. More lazy and falling back on dated stereotypes and easy targets. Taking the piss out of children with disabilities, meh, just leaves a nasty taste frankly, a throwback to the dark ages of the 1970s. Try calling black people "n*ggers" and taking the piss out of their appearance, or jokes about the prophet Muhammad, see how much he wants to be edgy and dangerous then, the ignorant little t-wat.

My sentiments exactly.
    Forum Member
    He's not even really "edgy" and "dangerous" though, much as he loves to present himself as such. More lazy and falling back on dated stereotypes and easy targets. Taking the piss out of children with disabilities, meh, just leaves a nasty taste frankly, a throwback to the dark ages of the 1970s. Try calling black people "n*ggers" and taking the piss out of their appearance, or jokes about the prophet Muhammad, see how much he wants to be edgy and dangerous then, the ignorant little t-wat.

Or it could be argued that he is a clever t-wat too.
    He manages to get his audience and his fans without ACTUALLY being, as you say, dangerous and edgy, and without having to use words like n**ger ans P**i etc. and still manages to please the fans who do like offensive humour.

At the same time, he successfully manages to offend people with weak stomachs, naive minds and those ever so easily offended, thus getting himself talked about and thus increasing ticket sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Queen does not need to respond.
    She is 'invulnerable' because she has the ENTIRE establishment to act on her behalf.
    Please, The Queen, vulnerable? Pah.
    There is no need to mention other groups because the point is that Boyle tells jokes about ALL kinds of people, black, white, disabed, famous, poor, rich etc. etc.

Some people in this thread will have you believe he ONLY makes jokes about people seen as vulnerable or defenseless.

I countered that argument with FACTS and there is no need for me to go into it any further.
    The truth is that I do not 'follow' Frankie's career, I only catch him on shows like MTW (previously anyway) and I cannot remember every joke he has ever told, nor can I remember all the subjects he has joked about, but I know I have heard jokes about all kinds of people, including people fully able to defend themselves should they wish too.
    Which includes MOST people with Down's.

In fact, as I have said in other relevant threads in the past, having gone to school with kids with CP and other physical/mental disabilities, I KNOW for a fact that there is no shortage of humour in most of them, both outward and inward.

It is ignorant people who treat these people like glass objects who get offended, not the disabled themselves,
    Isn't that ironic.

I realise we disagree about the queen but I thought you had loads of examples of powerful people he's attacked? I haven't seen him on much either but the jokes I remember are about Princess Di (dead), Heather Ledger (dead), Shannon Matthews (child, victim of crime), Richard Hammond when he was in hospital. Am I getting the wrong impression from that list? I suppose I can throw in the female Olympic athlete he called ugly?

I'd have thought the statement from the Downs Syndrome Association put paid to claims that his jokes were based on something more than ignorance. But maybe going to a mixed ability school means you have an insight into why the word mongeloid is funny?