Options

Too hot to sleep - still up at 3am

Comments

• Options
    Pyramid*Pyramid* Posts: 4,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I managed to get 5 hours sleep in the end.. got a massive headache.. today will be ruled by Cuprofen plus! :(

Anadin Extra gulped down for the same reason. Tossed and turned all night, window wide open, no breeze coming in. Upstairs was stiflling hot. Great during the day but crap at night. :(
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't too bad in London last night I slept with a duvet.

It's suddenly cooled down now & the sun's gone in, poo,

Because it's England there's always the lurking thought - "this may be all the hot weather we get"
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it twas hot last night but i had to suffer as i scared my wife once when i went to the bathroom while she was a sleep to have a cold wash when i got back i fell asleep almost straight away anyway it didnt last long as i was woken up by screaming coming from my wife she had woke up and touched my face and i was cold and she thought i was dead
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    My bedroom was only 21C (and that's with the windows shut) so wasn't even hot enough to need the aircon on. That's the great thing about bungalows with north facing bedrooms but they are damn cold in the winter
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Where do you live? The Nevada desert?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Its hot alright. Im lying here nekkid. In the fridge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Sadly the moment we all start getting too hot and unable to sleep, than the weather breaks and the forecast changes to rain for the rest of the month. Typical!

Anyway, my sister was moaning about being too hot at night. So we checked out her duvet and she was only sleeping under a 10.5 tog :eek:! I'm not saying I can sleep under just a sheet as I find I need a bit of weight on top of me, otherwise I just don't feel I'm in bed! Can't recommend enough that it's worth getting either a 3 tog or a 4.5 tog duvet (there's some good non-allergenic ones here) to survive the summer nights. I just hope my husband agrees as he has starting going on about getting air-conditioning!! Seems an awful lot of money just for a few hot nights a year.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I get on of those blocks you use to keep cool bags cool out of the freezer, wrap it in a towel and put it under my pillow..kind of hot water bottle in reverse. It's not ideal but it is nice when you turn you pillowe over and it is nice and cool..

Teddy's top tip of the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    I am BOILING¬!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm about to go to bed and roll up in a 13tog duvet, :D If you think it's hot now, with a nice breeze blowing through the window wait till august when that breeze won't be there.:eek:
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally settled down asleep after tossing and turning last night only to be woken up at 3 by some idiot man and woman having a fight, the two of them were having a right vocal ding dong.
    :mad:
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try this.......

Lying naked, sprinkle water all over you. Point a fan to you and swicth on. Feels like air con!

Haven't had to do it for a while but helped when I was desperate.
  • Options
    jamesdeanukjamesdeanuk Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do what I did and go out into the garden and just sleep in the pool. Much better and relaxing.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Just before going to bed, why not have a bath with some menthol crystals (available from chemists) dissolved in the water? Now that will cool you right down.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some suggestions ....... other than obvious one like having a BIG fan on the bedroom ceiling or freestanding one. You WILL get used to it if you persevere.

1. Put your CLEAN chosen nightwear (boxers, nightie, pants etc) in a plastic bag in the freezer for a few hours before you go to bed. Put on just as you get into bed. LUSH!:)

2. Buy one of those plastic bottles which you fill with water and they have a battery operated fan on top. I bought one years ago in Ibiza but you can get them here quite easily now. Spray & fan.:)

3. There's a special pillow you can buy (I think it's called a Chillow) which is supposed to keep your head lovely and cool and therefore the rest of your body.

4. Just running cold water on the insides of your wrists will help you stay cool.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    but yeah, i couldnt survive the US between june and august without aircon.

Yep. Our AC died yesterday. By the time they fixed it, it had already climbed to 95F (35C) in the house.

Right now it's a nice 77F (25C) inside the house, while it's 107F (42C) outside.

Our AC is 13 years old, and they're pushing us to replace it with a more efficient model, but at $8-$12k, we're putting it off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    You lot are really annoying me now, I'm damn cold!

Even worse I like humid weather. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got really bad sunburn today im in pain arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Yep. Our AC died yesterday. By the time they fixed it, it had already climbed to 95F (35C) in the house.

Right now it's a nice 77F (25C) inside the house, while it's 107F (42C) outside.

Our AC is 13 years old, and they're pushing us to replace it with a more efficient model, but at $8-$12k, we're putting it off.

How about buying a couple of window units? Better than nothing. We got rid of an ancient central air system, and just cool off the parts of the house we are in with a few window units, SO much cheaper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I am sleeping on top of my duvet with a duvet cover at the side in case (doubtful!) it gets cooler.

We moan when it's hot and we moan when it's cold. Us Brits will never be happy with the weather!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh i love it cold
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How about buying a couple of window units? Better than nothing. We got rid of an ancient central air system, and just cool off the parts of the house we are in with a few window units, SO much cheaper.

We have a portable swamp cooler. But it's worthless during the monsoon season (when it's 100F and raining like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61FJiISFYIk)

What do you do during the winter without central air?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    We moan when it's hot and we moan when it's cold. Us Brits will never be happy with the weather!

I'm always happy with it, the four seasons the lot :)
  • Options
    BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    We have a portable swamp cooler. But it's worthless during the monsoon season (when it's 100F and raining like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61FJiISFYIk)

What do you do during the winter without central air?

We used to use our baseboard heating system, but it costs a small fortune to heat up whole sections of my house which is quite large.

A couple of portable radiators for upstairs, and one large portable heater for the living room.

Still my winter utilities bill averages $800 per month, NY rates are very high. So you can imagine if I heated the whole house. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still my winter utilities bill averages $800 per month, NY rates are very high. So you can imagine if I heated the whole house. :eek:

See, that's why I don't live in NY.. sure I'd make more money, but your utility bill is more than my mortgage.