My theory on John Hurt

AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello, I'd just like to say a theory of mine that has been going around my head since the finale ended.
I think that John Hurt is a version of the doctor from the past, the first doctor, as in, the doctor's very first form, before he ever needed to regenerate, a secret doctor if you will, one that the doctor never bought up to anyone and kept secret because he was ashamed of something that he did whilst he was that doctor, so when he regenerated into William Hartnell, he then told himself and others that that was his first incarnation, trying to keep the secret of the original first doctor who did something so terrible he could never face talking about it again.

So, what do you think? Is it plausible?

Comments

• mirrorman74mirrorman74 Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I like that - it sounds logical and adds gravitas to the whole mythos of Doctor Who.

Moffatt said the 50th would 'change the show forever', or words to that effect.

Digging up the Doctor's past would kinda do that - particularly if actions of the 'original Doctor' come back to haunt the current and future incarnations.

It would be a neat twist if John Hurt's Doctor regenerates into the Master. That actually, the two characters are splintered personalities of the same being; one being the 'Master' copy, and the other one being the damaged copy that needs healing, thus becomes 'The Doctor' in an attempt to heal himself.

So he's been running all his life from the fact that he and the Master are one and the same person - just in different regeneration streams.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    It would be a neat twist if John Hurt's Doctor regenerates into the Master. That actually, the two characters are splintered personalities of the same being; one being the 'Master' copy, and the other one being the damaged copy that needs healing, thus becomes 'The Doctor' in an attempt to heal himself.

So he's been running all his life from the fact that he and the Master are one and the same person - just in different regeneration streams.

I read that was actually one of the original plans for The Master back in the 70's it was going to be revealed that The Master was The Doctor's dark half after a botched regeneration (from 2 to 3) split him into two half's good and evil
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that was actually one of the original plans for The Master back in the 70's it was going to be revealed that The Master was The Doctor's dark half after a botched regeneration (from 2 to 3) split him into two half's good and evil

No the original plan was for him to sacrifce himself t save The Doctor and be revealed as his brother
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    No the original plan was for him to sacrifce himself t save The Doctor and be revealed as his brother

That's why I said one of the original plans there was a few ideas floating around they decided not to use
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why I said one of the original plans there was a few ideas floating around they decided not to use

It would have been great for Roger Delgado to have had more stories RIP