Options

Mass walkout by pupils forces school into U-turn

Comments

• Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid Head Teacher.

An exception should have been made, and that it was an exception emphasised.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Can't help wondering if the lad shaved his head more for the lulz than for the money he raised but, even so, he DID have a good reason for it so the school hasn't got a leg to stand on.

I mean, are the school worried that all the would-be rebels are going to find some charity and use it as an excuse to shave their heads?
    How terrible would that be?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to kids in school, some people will support any rule a school make, however needless, and will then demand that all pupils follow it rigidly without exception. Something about schoolchildren seems to bring out the inner fascist in some people.

Indeed. I think there's some sort of weird element of Schadenfreude about it all.

It's like people genuinely love seeing rigid obedience and as a result, suffering of anyone they see beneath them.

Whether that's school-children, those in lower occupations or the unemployed..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Can't help wondering if the lad shaved his head more for the lulz than for the money he raised but, even so, he DID have a good reason for it so the school hasn't got a leg to stand on.

I mean, are the school worried that all the would-be rebels are going to find some charity and use it as an excuse to shave their heads?
    How terrible would that be?

True enough, there's a multidude of ridiculous excuses for breaking the rules. Shaving the head for charity isn't one of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Reserved wrote: »
    The replies in this thread have me baffled.

A kid getting his hair cut shouldn't be a problem, end of. I don't care why he's done it, it shouldn't be part of any 'uniform' to be FORCED to look a certain way. What if you prefer a shaved head to any other style? What if it suits you best? Suck it up because the place you go to learn has dictated to you that you can't possibly shame the school with a shaved head?

Why do parents allow their kids to even apply for such schools? I can't believe that, going by some posts in here, it seems to be common to have rules about how your OWN HAIR should look at all times, just to please the school you go to. Ridiculous.

Absolutely. Especially, when there is every possibility that the kid sitting next to him is wearing what the media and politicians these days call the veil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Indeed. I think there's some sort of weird element of Schadenfreude about it all.

It's like people genuinely love seeing rigid obedience and as a result, suffering of anyone they see beneath them.

Whether that's school-children, those in lower occupations or the unemployed..

They don't achieve that in many schools I wouldn't have thought.

The Head must have had a brainshort to have done this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Must say, I think it's kinda sad that schools are probably forced to resort to these kind of arbitrary rules in order to stop pupils from "trying it on" with all sorts of daft hairstyles and then forcing teachers to decide if they're appropriate on a case by case basis, which'd probably end up taking up heaps of time and inconsistent decisions would end up getting plastered all over the local press.

You just know that, for example, if a school has a "no shaved heads" rule then some muppet is going to grow a Jedward quiff just cos he can and he knows that there isn't a rule to prevent that.

You'd think that parents would be capable of deciding what's appropriate and stopping their kids from doing anything too daft before the school even had to think about making up rules for it.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must say, I think it's kinda sad that schools are probably forced to resort to these kind of arbitrary rules in order to stop pupils from "trying it on" with all sorts of daft hairstyles and then forcing teachers to decide if they're appropriate on a case by case basis, which'd probably end up taking up heaps of time and inconsistent decisions would end up getting plastered all over the local press.

You just know that, for example, if a school has a "no shaved heads" rule then some muppet is going to grow a Jedward quiff just cos he can and he knows that there isn't a rule to prevent that.

You'd think that parents would be capable of deciding what's appropriate and stopping their kids from doing anything too daft before the school even had to think about making up rules for it.

But teenagers lives don't consist entirely of school.
    They have lives outside of school.

Why should 6 hours of their day determine what they look like the rest of the time?

Jeez, weren't you people ever young?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But teenagers lives don't consist entirely of school.
    They have lives outside of school.

Why should 6 hours of their day determine what they look like the rest of the time?

Jeez, weren't you people ever young?

Yes.

When I was young I was a right jerk who'd do almost anything for attention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems like anything but a more-liberal-than-thou opinion will have you branded as a undesirable of some sort on this thread

I'm out. :(
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zora wrote: »
    School tells someone not to do something, they do it anyway, and yet the school is wrong to get annoyed?

This sort of attitude is why children and teens are out of control and do what they like knowing there will be no repercussions for it. Ridiculous.

^^^ Agree with you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    ^^^ Agree with you

Do you think schools should be able to demand anything of their pupils and expect blind obedience?

When I was growing up I was taught to challenge opinions and ask questions, not blindly follow. That's what sheep do.

Blindly following orders has led to countless tragedies across the world, throughout history. I would rather it that schools taught children to think for themselves and to formulate their own opinions.

Half the problems we have with the education system now is that children are taught just... crap... complete crap. Their heads are filled with useless nonsense and they're unable to think, function and adapt in the world of work - as all they've been taught is bollocks-by-rote.

Urgh. rant over
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if the boy had cancer himself?
    Would the school order him not to get chemotherapy in case he loses his hair which would render him in breach of school uniform policy?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zora wrote: »
    It seems like anything but a more-liberal-than-thou opinion will have you branded as a undesirable of some sort on this thread

I'm out. :(

Oh no. Please. Don't. Go. ..

People seem grimly determined to gloss over the fact that the young man did this for charity. He should be applauded, not singled out and demonised.

Shaving your head for charity has been done forever - it's not like the kid was the first one to ever think of it
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    All the schools my kids have attended have had this as part of their uniform policy. It's not unusual. However, I think most schools would turn a blind eye, given the circumstances.

What exactly is the rule? Hair must be of a certain length?

As I said, I've seen rules regarding hair dying and outlandish styles, but this boy has only had his hair cut. Relatively short, sure, but it's not exactly an unusual cut for a guy.
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if the boy had cancer himself?
    Would the school order him not to get chemotherapy in case he loses his hair which would render him in breach of school uniform policy?

No...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    What exactly is the rule? Hair must be of a certain length?

As I said, I've seen rules regarding hair dying and outlandish styles, but this boy has only had his hair cut. Relatively short, sure, but it's not exactly an unusual cut for a guy.

Indeed.

My hair was shaved throughout secondary school. It's easy and functional for boys :)

I'd go as far as to say it's a perfectly 'normal' haircut, as in, you'd expect a good chunk of 10-18 year old's (and older) to have their hair cut in that style.
  • Options
    TheCatsMeaowTheCatsMeaow Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    As long as you wear the proper uniform what you do with your appearance should be up to you.
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He knew it was against the rules? TOUGH. He deserves all he gets. Exemptiions?My arse. Why? Head shaving for charity is hardly some hardship.Do something proper. Guarenteed 95% of the the walkouts didnt give a shit about him, just an excuse.
    Good on the school for sticking to thier guns.
    When I was at school 20 years ago, we werent allowed shaved heads, so to the people who are saying it is a natural male style, I say bollocks. Only if you are over 30, to hide your natural baldness. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed.

My hair was shaved throughout secondary school. It's easy and functional for boys :)

I'd go as far as to say it's a perfectly 'normal' haircut, as in, you'd expect a good chunk of 10-18 year old's (and older) to have their hair cut in that style.

Rubbish.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Exactly.

It's kinda ironic really - those that are supporting the school are just the sort of conservative people who ordinarily would probably agree with LESS state control...

This makes it bloody hypocritical that they could support such 'fascism' for lack of a better word.

But then again that's typical conservatism.. more freedom for themselves, less for other people...

Don't be so melodramatic. When some of the people in this thread manage to eventually get a job, they might find that their employer expects a certain dress code, appearance or manner for their employees. There's nothing "fascist" about it. The school has decided it wants to promote a certain level of appearance for its pupils. They can do what they want when they leave, and go on the dole.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Head shaving for charity is hardly some hardship/QUOTE]

No, clearly not. It is, however, showing compassion and willingness to put yourself out for other people.

A concept clearly lost on many on this thread ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Head shaving for charity is hardly some hardship/QUOTE]

No, clearly not. It is, however, showing compassion and willingness to put yourself out for other people.

A concept clearly lost on many on this thread ..

Nothing to say about the rest of my post? :confused:
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member

Nothing to say about the rest of my post? :confused:

The school backed down. They didn't stick to their guns.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    What an idiot.

Told not to shave his head, but blithely goes ahead and does so.

Then acts proud because not only has he disrupted his own education, he has also disrupted 250 other children's education.

If he was my son I would smack him one hard for being an obnoxious little brat. And I would sue the school for letting him back in before his hair grew.

And those people who condone his actions on the grounds of 'but it was for charidee' need to grow up and recognise the impossible position that the school has been placed by this little toerag.

Will you be so pleased when it's your kids roaming the streets because the school has said no to whatever little foible some brat has come up with?
    The school placed itself in an impossible position by trying to police hairstyles instead of getting on with teaching. What do they think is so bad about having no hair anyway? The school want to be careful about what message they send out, because "having no hair makes you look scruffy" or whatever is not something you want to be hammering home, particularly in the context of cancer!