Options

QI - Series K

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watched the XL edition last night and I didn't think Suttie added much more than in the standard addition.

Funnily enough though I think one thing that she did add was one of the most interesting points.

It was about being able to have twitter/social media create a virtual profile for you to continue on after your death.
    I don't know much about it or if it is true as I haven't looked into it but I was interested because Charlie Brooker based one of his Black Mirror episodes on the idea.

Be Right Back - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Black_Mirror_episodes#Series_2
  • Options
    WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't enjoy this weeks. All too often the show resorts to toilet humour. Even Fry's "accidental" innuendo's can't save a show with Jonny Vegas and Janet Street Porter on it. Alan Davies was silent, and even then wasn't on screen much apart from his once per show mime.

I felt sorry for Sandy Toksvig.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Willbert wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy this weeks. All too often the show resorts to toilet humour. Even Fry's "accidental" innuendo's can't save a show with Jonny Vegas and Janet Street Porter on it. Alan Davies was silent, and even then wasn't on screen much apart from his once per show mime.

I felt sorry for Sandy Toksvig.
    hehe I know.
    Why did they think JSP was remotely suitable for this show?
    She did her best to ruin HIGNFY last week as well.

I thought going by previous appearances that Fry had a dislike for Vegas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trevor Noah was very good. Not heard of him before but earlier yesterday had seen posters for his UK tour saying "Appearing on QI tonight". Oh yes, it was a newspaper ad, not a poster. I was surprised as he looked young to be appearing on the show.
    Noah was on 8 Out of 10 Cats the other week and he was very good. One of the best panelists they had on for a while.
    He was also on the first ep of the new series of Live at the Apollo and he was ok on that.
  • Options
    Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Willbert and degsy. A disappointing episode and JSP added nothing to the show. QI guests should be witty or know some interesting QI type facts. Sandi Toksvig is an excellent guest because she fulfills both criteria. JSP fulfilled neither.

I've always counted QI amongst my favourite programmes and have even been to see it recorded a couple of times but, even in the weeks where there is a better panel of guests, I think it's getting a bit tired now.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Can't comment on this week's show for the simple fact that as soon as I realised they had Janet Screech Porter and Johnny Vegas on, that was it! Can't stand either of them, and just wished they'd added Sean Lock or Reginald D Hunter so that I could avoid the whole lot at once! :D

Shame really as Sandi Toksvig is usually good value.

Mind you ... it could have been worse! They could have ruined two episodes for me by having Porter and Vegas on separate shows! :eek:
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone see the Keeps standard edition a couple of weeks back? Sarah Millican, Jason Manford and Bill Bailey were guests according to Wiki and it should have been between the Kinetic and Kinky episodes. I ask because I normally watch the XL version and it disappeared and got replaced with a repeat of Kit and Kaboodle. I'm rather annoyed that the XL version just seems to have been dropped. Did I miss a good episode?
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't comment on this week's show for the simple fact that as soon as I realised they had Janet Screech Porter and Johnny Vegas on, that was it! Can't stand either of them, and just wished they'd added Sean Lock or Reginald D Hunter so that I could avoid the whole lot at once! :D

Shame really as Sandi Toksvig is usually good value.

Mind you ... it could have been worse! They could have ruined two episodes for me by having Porter and Vegas on separate shows! :eek:

I'm the same as you, I can't stand Porter, Vegas, Lock or Hunter either! JSP was on HIGNFY too last week. Had to skip that one too!
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I'm the same as you, I can't stand Porter, Vegas, Lock or Hunter either! JSP was on HIGNFY too last week. Had to skip that one too!

I awarded myself a medal for actually watching that episode of HIGNFY, but in my defence (a) I hoped that Hislop would rip Screech Porter to shreds, and (b) I watched on iPlayer so that whenever she opened her mouth, I could skip forward!

In hindsight, I wish I'd just avoided it! :o

Looks like I'll be avoiding QI episode 14 "Kitsch" as, according to Wiki, it's got Hunter on it. :(
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I've missed most of this series of QI as I normally watch the XL and it's on late, and I forget to watch on catch-up. However I watched the Kinky one and didn't laugh once. There wasn't even a twitch. It's got so childishly smutty with too much innuendo and has lost the Interesting part of the title.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I've missed most of this series of QI as I normally watch the XL and it's on late, and I forget to watch on catch-up. However I watched the Kinky one and didn't laugh once. There wasn't even a twitch. It's got so childishly smutty with too much innuendo and has lost the Interesting part of the title.
    I would definitely agree with that.
    It doesn't have to be a laugh out loud show but it should raise a few smiles and have some informative content.
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Reverand Richard Coles: The Savriour of QI.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AA2009 wrote: »
    Reverand Richard Coles: The Savriour of QI.
    He was rather amusing, yes. :)

Not sure if that quite qualifies him as any kind of "saviour" though...
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I've never get on the Central Line and hear the destination without a smirk..."Anal via Newbury Park" :D
  • Options
    froggy22froggy22 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I don't like how crude the show has become. I think in one of the recent episodes, it took a matter of minutes before the first penis joke was said. As someone said above, the show is becoming less interesting. I'm glad to see other people like Sandi Toksvig. She's my favourite guest by far these days, she has the right balance of being witty and clever. Id go as far as making her the regular guest along with Alan, or even alternate with Alan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    froggy22 wrote: »
    I'm glad to see other people like Sandi Toksvig.

I like Sandi Toksvig, because apart from being actually funny she's also very intelligent. If she and Richard Coles are on this week's I'll have to catch up on it. I've only dipped my little toe into the series this time because it's quite frankly got tired. Get rid of the constant innuendo and blatant crudeness and it might get back on track again. We're not all sniggering schoolboys.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Coles and Victoria Cohen were good this week, unfortunately Sue Perkins took it upon herself to play the 'know-nothing loudmouth' role, managing to shut down a few genuinely "Quite Interesting" themes.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Richard Coles and Victoria Cohen were good this week, unfortunately Sue Perkins took it upon herself to play the 'know-nothing loudmouth' role, managing to shut down a few genuinely "Quite Interesting" themes.:(

That's another thing I find annoying. Sometimes something interesting is about to be said and some moron (usually, but not always, Alan Davies) decides to make an inane remark which he thinks is amusing, and the interesting information is never told to us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    froggy22 wrote: »
    I don't like how crude the show has become. I think in one of the recent episodes, it took a matter of minutes before the first penis joke was said. As someone said above, the show is becoming less interesting. I'm glad to see other people like Sandi Toksvig. She's my favourite guest by far these days, she has the right balance of being witty and clever. Id go as far as making her the regular guest along with Alan, or even alternate with Alan.
    I don't think it would ever happen. It would be too high brow and just full of an anecdote standoff between the two.
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not been a note worthy season til now really. Last week's episode was very good. Rev Coles and Vicky Coren were both very interesting. More of these two please. Replace Johny Vegas with either of these and the show would be ten times better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rev Coles and VC made that episode. It really didn't need the other two.
  • Options
    BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Alan really ruined the Kitchen Sink episode. He's such an unfunny person. I so often finding myself wishing he would shut up and stop doing silly impressions. It was mainly Richard Osman providing what little humour there was, but it's been really poor lately.

I'm starting to wonder how much longer QI can go on for before someone puts it out of its misery. But it's a shame because it used to be so good. Now it's just Alan being a child and Stephen making intentional innuendos, and usually at least two of the guests contribute nothing of value.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blister wrote: »
    Alan really ruined the Kitchen Sink episode. He's such an unfunny person.

I couldn't agree more. His 'repertoire' consists of either mumbling the correct answer as Fry says it, interrupting or talking over other people's anecdotes/punchlines, or expletive ridden shouting. Another downside to the show is that Fry's cocaine habit seems to have caught up with him in recent series. He's a shadow of his former, sharp, witty self, now reduced to an incoherent embarrassment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. His 'repertoire' consists of either mumbling the correct answer as Fry says it, interrupting or talking over other people's anecdotes/punchlines, or expletive ridden shouting. Another downside to the show is that Fry's cocaine habit seems to have caught up with him in recent series. He's a shadow of his former, sharp, witty self, now reduced to an incoherent embarrassment.

Agree about Alan Davies - if it wasn't for his permanent spot on QI he would have disappeared into oblivion years ago.

I didn't know Steven Fry had a cocaine habit :o That would explain why he's not as good as he used to be.
  • Options
    DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Davies is long past his time on Q.I. Talking (or should that be shouting) over other guests just to get a "funny" comment in. (usually just an extension of something a guest has started, or labouring a joke that was only mildly funny to begin with. They need to rethink