European Cup games in the 60's, 70's and 80's

191011121315»

Comments

• SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Bury 3.15? It was probably due to their Social Club at the ground having last orders at 3.00 so gave the fans drinking-up time. Bury have always needed every penny, and the Social was always very popular. But probably the wrong information completely! I do know they went to 3.00 KO's in order to be on the pools coupon as they thought they were missing out on publicity.

I remember Tranmere kicked off at 3:15 also around this time. They were on the pools as I seem to remember an FA Cup tie against Bolton in 1984, where a local guy won the pools on the strength of Neville Powell scoring an injury time equaliser long after all the other games finished.
  • andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Tranmere kicked off at 3:15 also around this time. They were on the pools as I seem to remember an FA Cup tie against Bolton in 1984, where a local guy won the pools on the strength of Neville Powell scoring an injury time equaliser long after all the other games finished.

i get the 2.30 floodlight thing but there must be a better answer as to why these 3.15 ko?
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just read through the whole 15 pages of this thread...great stuff!

Going back a few pages (and years) to the subject of whether England internationals were shown live in the 1970s, can anyone else confirm whether the England v Brazil friendly in 1978 was shown live on BBC?

I remember this game because I went to it on a school trip (a coach trip from Tring to Wembley on a school night!), and I seem to remember it was also live on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrC-stvXlIM
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in 1989, Liverpool had a home game against West Ham on the same night that England played a friendly at Wembley. Was that the last time a top flight league game was played on the same night as an England international?
  • AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    I've just read through the whole 15 pages of this thread...great stuff!

Going back a few pages (and years) to the subject of whether England internationals were shown live in the 1970s, can anyone else confirm whether the England v Brazil friendly in 1978 was shown live on BBC?

I remember this game because I went to it on a school trip (a coach trip from Tring to Wembley on a school night!), and I seem to remember it was also live on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrC-stvXlIM

Via the usual source, it was indeed live on the BBC. David Coleman commentated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member

For many years Torquay United played quite a few of their Saturday home games at 6.30 in the hope of encouraging holidaymakers who'd enjoyed the daytime on the beach to move inland for an evening's football.

This was also when Radio-2 was the BBC's sports-outlet before the creation of Radio-5 and Radio-2's 10.30pm sports bulletin on a Saturday night included a repeat of James Alexander Gordon's classified results from just after 5pm on Sports Report.

All of which meant that if it was a Saturday that included a 6.30 Torquay kick-off, J-A-G used to record a stack of permutations of the final score from Torquay's game so that the correct one could be edited into the tape of his 5pm-classifieds a couple of hours before that 10.30 repeat !!

He certainly recorded every outcome from 0-0 to 5-5 and may well have added home and away versions of 6-0, 6-1, 7-0 & 7-1 for extra insurance.

As far as I know, none of Torquay's 6.30 results was ever wacky enough to ruin this crafty tactic ... presumably anything like Monaco's record-setting 8-3 Champions League win over Porto would've forced the bulletin-presenter to awkwardly mention Torquay's score only after the tape of J-A-G had finished all the Scottish results !!
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    Newport County used to kick off at 3.15 so the steel workers who clocked off at 3 could get there. Also their midweek games kicked off at 7pm so the night shift workers could see the game before they went to work
    Forum Member
    Back in 1989, Liverpool had a home game against West Ham on the same night that England played a friendly at Wembley. Was that the last time a top flight league game was played on the same night as an England international?

I remember a league cup semi being on the same time as the ill fated Ireland v England game in 1995
    Forum Member
    andy_d77 wrote: »
    the 'football special' is the biggest loss in football in the last 12 years or so. the instant view of all results was excellent, derby telegraph also expeimented with a saturday morning sports only edition for a few years

We used to have the Sporting Star, an old WW1 vet used to sell it religiously each Saturday. Lord knows how they got it out so quick with the technology they had back then.
    Used to go and sit in the pub and read it with a couple of pints and a scotch egg.

He's long gone, the paper, the ground and the pub also - not quite the same looking at the sporting life app :(
  • andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    We used to have the Sporting Star, an old WW1 vet used to sell it religiously each Saturday. Lord knows how they got it out so quick with the technology they had back then.
    Used to go and sit in the pub and read it with a couple of pints and a scotch egg.

He's long gone, the paper, the ground and the pub also - not quite the same looking at the sporting life app :(

IF I win the lottery I'd bring back a saturday evening sports paper and buy a chippie to sell it from

just realised was that the pink un in sheffield?
  • AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I remember a league cup semi being on the same time as the ill fated Ireland v England game in 1995

The same night but not on at the same time if I remember.

Ireland v England had a tea-time kick-off, with Liverpool v Crystal Palace on at 8.

The latter was definitely live on ITV, and I'm pretty sure the earlier game was scheduled for ITV too as they held Ireland's UK rights for many years before Sky - which would probably explain the staggered kick-off times.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Akilduff wrote: »
    The latter was definitely live on ITV, and I'm pretty sure the earlier game was scheduled for ITV too as they held Ireland's UK rights for many years before Sky - which would probably explain the staggered kick-off times.

Ireland vs England was live on Sky, actually. In Giles Smith's book Midnight In The Garden Of Evil Kneival it's got a review of Sky's coverage of that match, with Richard Keys saying over a shot of the stand "they should nick all that lot".

You're right to say ITV did have the rights to Ireland home games and they showed most of them in the qualifying for Euro 92 (when they were in England's group) and the 1994 World Cup (when they were in Northern Ireland's group). But I don't think they showed them live after that qualifying campaign. And also as a friendly it would have been part of the FA contract where all friendlies, home and away, were live on Sky with BBC highlights. I think one reason for the early kick-off is because the floodlights at Lansdowne Road weren't very good.
  • MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I think one reason for the early kick-off is because the floodlights at Lansdowne Road weren't very good.

In fact, they were non-existent!

Hard to believe now, but almost all the Ireland home games were played on midweek afternoons until the Mid Nineties. That Ireland v England friendly would have been one of the first played under lights at Lansdowne (a 6.15pm kick off in February 1995).
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, I forgot all about this thread. I started it over 4 years ago:o

Who would have thought so much info could come from such a simple question:cool:
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    jarwyn wrote: »
    They used to be live on the radio though didn't they. I remember listening to Leeds v Barcelona in the early 70s (73?) ... can't remember who the commentator was but I get goosebumbs even now thinking about it. Leeds lost 3 - 0 I think, I was so nerveous I drank 2 pints of milk (well, I was only 13!).

Leeds. Didn't lose to Barcelona 3/0 we won 2/1 at er (Clarke/Bremner) and drew 1/1
    In camp nou (lorimer) the only game Leeds lost to Barcelona
    Was a play off to see who kept the old fairs cup they won 2/1
    A young Jordan (Joe) scored our goal
    Only time we lost to Barcelona Was in 2001 4/0

The home leg was on sportsnight (highlights) the away leg
    Was live in the ytv area (think)