Del Boys and Dealers - BBC One

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL! That looked like a scene from Little Britain. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    What did danny think he was going to get for the price of the animal head. The dealer said it was worth nearly £700 at a push, he did the same thing last week with the chess set.
  • OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    These Welsh guys have got to have been set up by the production team every step along the way
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny is like a big kid. Quite likeable and forever the optimist.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ag1973 wrote: »
    What did danny think he was going to get the price for the animal head. The dealer said it was worth nearly £700 at a push, he did the same thing last week with the chess set.

The auction house were he bought it was the big clue to its saleability. £50 tops and expect 200.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    £15 profit? Errr...whatabout the Megabus, Taxi, and Premier Inn down in London?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    What did danny think he was going to get the price for the animal head. The dealer said it was worth nearly £700 at a push, he did the same thing last week with the chess set.

The Chess set was a completely different black geezer.
    I miss the rolleyes...
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    The auction house were he bought it was the big clue to its saleability. £50 tops and expect 200.

So the experts who presumably know something about 'Art history' know nothing.
    I think some people try a little too hard to look clever on here, at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    This could be a nice series during daytime tv, a cheap man bargain hunt, I like the people on the show and I think it would work on bbc instead of the usual crap they show like anti benefit shows/going to oz programs.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »
    These Welsh guys have got to have been set up by the production team every step along the way

They would have been better off taking stuff from Wales & putting in into Auction in London
    Forum Member
    This could be a nice series during daytime tv, a cheap man bargain hunt, I like the people on the show and I think it would work on bbc instead of the usual crap they show like anti benefit shows/going to oz programs.

If you watch something like Call the Council or The Sheriffs are Coming you can see how that could certainly be done. Especially if it was expanded to all over the country.
    Problem is a lot of this seems to be not set up as such but the majority of people in the show seem to have issues of one sort of another which might not work so well over a longer series.
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    They would have been better off taking stuff from Wales & putting in into Auction in London

Like 'real' Rolex's? ;)
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    £15 profit? Errr...whatabout the Megabus, Taxi, and Premier Inn down in London?

I suspect the whole London trip idea was dreamed up by the production team, who probably paid their expenses to encourage them to go (and make idiots of themselves)!

This whole theme of buying in London / Bolton / France (where all the traders seem to think the locals were born yesterday) and then selling the stuff in Wales / London / Essex etc is just bizarre when they don't seem to make any allowance for the costs of the trips or the amount of time it all takes, especially when they all calculate their 'profit' as just sale price minus purchase price!
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the experts who presumably know something about 'Art history' know nothing.
    I think some people try a little too hard to look clever on here, at times.

Indeed :)
    Forum Member
    With the Welsh guy it certainly seems totally like that, but then I think the same thing is true of the football picture lady as well, with them it looks like they taking advantage of people. And with the caribou guy it looks like they are just allowing them to show themselves up.

The funny thing about the French trip was that they actually got some good cheap stuff at the flea market at the end so that is probably worthwhile doing again.

Another thing that isn't taken into consideration for the people doing it as a job is the time spent on doing it. Or it seems the cost of petrol!
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They went to London by coach to buy unclaimed luggage...... er, just how many suitcases did they think the coach company would allow them to bring back (along with the two they went up there with)? Sadly, we didn't get to see that! :D
  • yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chess set was a completely different black geezer.
    I miss the rolleyes...

They all look alike don't you know.
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Indeed :)
    cavalli wrote: »
    Good grief, do you ever do anything other than nitpick? Every post I see from you is sniping at another poster rather than commenting on the thread itself, bit tedious really...but if it you need it to bring joy to your life then nitpick away.

Hmmm...
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm...

Haha, you got me, two posts out of thousands. Gold star on it's way.
    Forum Member
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    They went to London by coach to buy unclaimed luggage...... er, just how many suitcases did they think the coach company would allow them to bring back (along with the two they went up there with)? Sadly, we didn't get to see that! :D

https://uk.megabus.com/allincluded.aspx
    Standard case each of 25Kg, £5 for excess, might be a fair bit of luggage space on a Megabus to Wales if you don't go when the students are on break.

I 'think' he was sold a pup on the luggage idea.
    I haven't looked at Greasby's site, but I'm pretty sure it says that you can't open the cases, well I knew that was the case, when I used to go, but I haven't been there in years.
    Most people going for cases are like the 2 women the other week, contents go off the the bootsales as do the cases.
    Finding hidden treasure inside isn't the 'point' of buying them, well it wasn't for the people I met doing it and got chatting to.
    The jackpot items are the real designer or brand clothes and cases in good condition.
    There fake branded cases too, like other branded goods.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was genuinely one of the funniest things I've seen for ages.

The clueless Welsh bloke and his monkey were absolute stars - 'We can't look through the cases?!?!?' was genius, as was what appeared to be the revelation that they'd only taken about £40-£50 to spend (I could be wrong, but that's what the VO seemed to suggest, and I was laughing too hard to be absolutely sure). The pride taken in the £15 profit over two hours (£7.50 per hour!) was sweet, although it didn't appear to factor in the monkey's wages, which was a little harsh. The camera crew must have thoroughly enjoyed taking the pair to London, particularly holding off the circling local rip-off merchants and scallywags at gunpoint, which they WILL have had to do.

Danny must make a halfway decent living most of the time, as every selling trip he makes down to London has to cost him about £100 in diesel at least before he even starts. He's probably quite sharp, but with the Caribou disaster already aired and next week showing him apparently selling off his/his family's possessions he may be regretting taking part in the show.

It's a fairly well-known rule of business that one does not try and sell a piece of old crap to someone who has literally already thrown it out. Full marks to Val for trying though. She clearly was under the impression that footballers in the 70s were as famous and well-paid as they are today, whereas in fact 99% of them relied on a testimonial match at the end of their careers just to raise the cash for a deposit on a pub. She wasn't exactly gracious about his refusal to buy back his own discarded picture...
    Forum Member
    Opaque wrote: »
    With the Welsh guy it certainly seems totally like that, but then I think the same thing is true of the football picture lady as well, with them it looks like they taking advantage of people. And with the caribou guy it looks like they are just allowing them to show themselves up.

The funny thing about the French trip was that they actually got some good cheap stuff at the flea market at the end so that is probably worthwhile doing again.

Another thing that isn't taken into consideration for the people doing it as a job is the time spent on doing it. Or it seems the cost of petrol!

As I said earlier they focused on that Caribou a little too much for my liking.
    Danny's been trading for 10 years apparently, I didn't hear his Missus say she was bankrolling him, so I'm guessing it brings in money.
    Why focus on the Caribou, what about all the other stuff he's selling that's probably his bread and butter.
    I think they're (the producers) are caught up on this Del boy millionaires, next year thing.
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    That was genuinely one of the funniest things I've seen for ages.

The clueless Welsh bloke and his monkey were absolute stars - 'We can't look through the cases?!?!?' was genius, as was what appeared to be the revelation that they'd only taken about £40-£50 to spend (I could be wrong, but that's what the VO seemed to suggest, and I was laughing too hard to be absolutely sure). The pride taken in the £15 profit over two hours (£7.50 per hour!) was sweet, although it didn't appear to factor in the monkey's wages, which was a little harsh. The camera crew must have thoroughly enjoyed taking the pair to London, particularly holding off the circling local rip-off merchants and scallywags at gunpoint, which they WILL have had to do.

BIB not sure what your point is there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^ That the two Welsh lads were easy prey for the unsavoury types found in every major city, particularly at the train/bus stations and tourist spots. They may as well have worn t-shirts with 'Take Advantage of Us' as the logo...
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    ^^^^ That the two Welsh lads were easy prey for the unsavoury types found in every major city, particularly at the train/bus stations and tourist spots. They may as well have worn t-shirts with 'Take Advantage of Us' as the logo...

Oh yeah, rich pickings those two.
    You've been watching Oliver, the local Fagin's circling the stations looking for the out of towners in their unfashionable clothes, you can always tell :)
    Even Tooting's crackheads wouldn't expect more than loose change out of those two, they look like tuppence hapenny on a good day :)

They only needed to worry about the local crackheads/beggars mithering them, I suspect they've got them in Wales too.