Options

Question Time 11/12/2014

Comments

• Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    My friend was a teacher in a comp and she said there were some who didn't want to learn and disrupted the class so they sat at the back.

what the teachers ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Farage was rather average. Admittedly he clearly knew being incredibly controversial on QT probably wasn't going to work in his favour; and so toned down his act. But all in all he didn't really make an impact. Brand, for what he was selling (the populist 'down with the rich' meme) did fairly well in the beginning, but his answer on the grammar schools question was beyond a joke. You'd think a political campaigner would at least have some background knowledge on the education system. I also thought the man calling for him to stand for parliament was a bit of a joke though - being campaigner doesn't necessarily translate to having the political skills to survive in the house of commons (and furthermore as a lone MP have a substantial impact on anything), nor does it even translate to managing the day-to-day pressures of being an MP. I seriously doubt Brand is that good of a campaigner, let alone being a good MP!

Creagh and Mordaunt were completely anonymous. Mordaunt spoke with little conviction or authority, and Creagh embarrassed herself early on in the show. If there were to be a 'winner' of tonight's show I think Camilla Cavendish came off as the most reasonable panelist - giving honest, and articulate answers. Both Brand and Farage seemed to be in something of a battle to come across as the ordinary bloke down town, and tbh I don't think either of them were convincing in that act.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vidic wrote: »
    Brand brilliantly exposed Farage for the quack he is.

You've not got blue hair by any chance have you?
  • Options
    South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    ..Though I would disagree with the description of Brand as a "Comic". Not sure about "Campaigner" either.

A Comical Campaigning C***?
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shown both himself and it up tonight...
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    what the teachers ?

Ha ha. No I meant the disruptive pupils
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did noone pounce on Farage about the NHS? He clearly wants it to be privatised.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    Farage given an easy ride again.

It may appear that way, but that's down to Farage taking control of these situations. He is the master of these things and is why Miliband and Cameron don't want to debate with him.
  • Options
    Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farage given an easy ride again.

His life was threatened live on air by a demented leftist fanatic the BBC let into the audience, what were you hoping for? An assassination?
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndrewPd wrote: »
    I feel this show was pointless as usual.

Farage claiming immigration has made everyones life worse was an outright lie. I don't see how any rational honest person could approve of his behaviour.

Russel Brand's heart is clearly in the right place.

The women who focused on criminal immigrants was clearly a thinly veiled reactionary bigot. Brands comment about how MPs will benefit from privatising elements of the NHS was very pertinent and the issue of their unfair pay rises.

No doubt you'll be voting Labour next May.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've not got blue hair by any chance have you?

LMAO!!!

I think she is Russell's number 1 fan. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    He already has a job as a comedian. People are allowed to complain about how rubbish politician's are without being expected to stand and replace them.
    Besides, if he did stand he would just be criticised for being a millionaire

Of course people are allowed to complain as they want. But:

His reply was weak.
    He is willing to campaign strongly for issues he believes in.
    He is already being criticised for being a millionaire. If he stood for parliment at least no one could accuse him of doing it for the money.
    He has shown fortitude in overcoming his addiction (or at least replacing dependance on snort for sex)
    He has gone out of his way to advise people not to vote. Thus undermining the fundamentals of British democracy. He says he did this because there was nothing for ordinary people to vote for. How about he effects change by filling that void himself?

I'm glad Brand exists. He is talented and at least he cares, however naive or misguided he may come across. But his appearance tonight probably won him no new fans and may have actually aided ukip. As someone else said earlier he came across as someone who would far rather take moralistic potshots while still enjoying all the trappings of celebrity culture instead of knuckling to the hard graft of reading every detail of a draft bill. As I said earlier, shyster.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    Farage claimed immigration had made everyone's life worse.

That was an outright lie. It completely undermines his integrity. Minus 10 for his pathetic performance.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    Ha ha. No I meant the disruptive pupils

I will say both my two sons had a good education in the state comprehensive system and both have good jobs now.

So its not all bad news.
  • Options
    VidicVidic Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farage claiming immigration has made everyones life worse was an outright lie. I don't see how any rational honest person could approve of his behaviour.

Russel Brand's heart is clearly in the right place.

Yep that sums it up perfectly, and is the same opinion of any rational mentally-balanced person.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Farage was rather average. Admittedly he clearly knew being incredibly controversial on QT probably wasn't going to work in his favour; and so toned down his act. But all in all he didn't really make an impact. Brand, for what he was selling (the populist 'down with the rich' meme) did fairly well in the beginning, but his answer on the grammar schools question was beyond a joke. You'd think a political campaigner would at least have some background knowledge on the education system. I also thought the man calling for him to stand for parliament was a bit of a joke though - being campaigner doesn't necessarily translate to having the political skills to survive in the house of commons (and furthermore as a lone MP have a substantial impact on anything), nor does it even translate to managing the day-to-day pressures of being an MP. I seriously doubt Brand is that good of a campaigner, let alone being a good MP!

Creagh and Mordaunt were completely anonymous. Mordaunt spoke with little conviction or authority, and Creagh embarrassed herself early on in the show. If there were to be a 'winner' of tonight's show I think Camilla Cavendish came off as the most reasonable panelist - giving honest, and articulate answers. Both Brand and Farage seemed to be in something of a battle to come across as the ordinary bloke down town, and tbh I don't think either of them were convincing in that act.

Good summary PP.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Brand didn't answer a single question!! Kept going completely off topic. Farage very statesmen-like. Didn't even have to do much, Brand dug his own grave.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did noone pounce on Farage about the NHS? He clearly wants it to be privatised.

er because he clearly doesn't but had toyed with the idea and realised it wont work.
  • Options
    Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    Farage 1
    Brand 0

For the record, I don't much care for either one's politics, but Farage sat there calmly, at least trying to provide cogent answers to what was asked of him. Brand, by way of contrast, just seemed to reel off pre-prepared rants that not only came across gauche and inapproriate, but also seemed to bear scant relation to the questions. I thought he made himself look very foolish.

Aside from that, it was all very entertaining...it seemed like a fight was going to breakout amongst the audience at one point.

Regards,

Cypher

Thing is don't you think its possible he was just nervous and overwhelmed? I sure would be. I know plenty of HIGHLY intelligent people who have very passionate opinions on things but when put on the spot on a panel like that, they would crumble.

The politicians have a strong agenda and are skilled in presenting their side of a debate. How many of them i wonder did go to great schools n take part in debating competitions! They may present what they say well but when you pick it apart, the heart of what they are saying is designed to say, "follow me"

russ isn't about that. He doesn't want to be a politician, he doesn't want to stand as leader, he's not got that agenda, he's not trying to get people on his side.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farage claimed immigration had made everyone's life worse.

That was an outright lie. It completely undermines his integrity. Minus 10 for his pathetic performance.

Well actually a large pool of labour helps to keep wages low,so he has a point.

Employers love it though.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    No doubt you'll be voting Labour next May.

I certainly will not be voting UKIP or the Conservatives. :(

I wish there was a party with more integrity than labour because I believe in voting.
    :(
  • Options
    pcawthronpcawthron Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vidic wrote: »
    Great show.

Brand brilliantly exposed Farage for the quack he is.

"PoundShops Enoch Powell" will stick until the end of his short political career. And is already trending on Twitter.

The only problem is every pound shop and 99p shop is wholly staffed by Asians. So the appellation is not exactly apposite, is it?
  • Options
    South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    WTF Labour borrowed £50bn to build Hospitals and have to pay back £300bn??? Is that true???
    No, it isn't true.

Labour borrowed £50bn and we, the taxpayer, have to pay back £300bn.

Labour don't have to pay back a penny of any of their profligate waste.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will say both my two sons had a good education in the state comprehensive system and both have good jobs now.

So its not all bad news.

No I agree. My daughter went to one and got a 1st class degree at uni.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I thought Mary came across well and i really liked Camilla too. Penny and Russell didn't do very good because Russell though passionate doesn't make his points very well and Penny seemed to struggle with all the issues raised due to her party's general ineffectiveness at almost everything. In her defence though she did at least remain calm and dignified for the most part.

Nigel was a bit weak in my opinion because he doesn't give proper answers and seems to just wan't to attack Labour a lot of the time. Also one thing i did agree with Russell on was UKIP are a nostalgic party pandering to older voters with a "in my day" mentality, i mean i can't think of any social progressive ideas on anything that UKIP would publicly support. Their record speaks for itself like how they opposed equal marriage and in their last manifesto wanted to take protections away from people in their jobs and limit your right to claim it was an unfair dismissal.