Options

So - how the hell do you "nearly drown"

...."a year and a half ago" - and now claim you've "never been underwater before"?

I guess we can add puddles to Gillian's "phobia list".

Comments

• Options
    moomeemoomee Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    That's what I thought, according to her daughter she fell out of a canoe & a rope was wrapped around her neck. If you're not underwater, not much need to panic - just free the rope!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Did'nt understand that myself. She sure is a stange one.
  • Options
    jjrussjjruss Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    A very long time ago when I was 4..someone jumped on my head in Manchester Baths...I did nearly drown.. and still to this day 60 years later I can not put my head under water...
  • Options
    MargeMarge Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjruss wrote: »
    A very long time ago when I was 4..someone jumped on my head in Manchester Baths...I did nearly drown.. and still to this day 60 years later I can not put my head under water...

Yes but Gillian's never been underwater:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Farmer Ted wrote: »
    ...."a year and a half ago" - and now claim you've "never been underwater before"?

I guess we can add puddles to Gillian's "phobia list".

That's a point... I forgot she said that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    moomee wrote: »
    That's what I thought, according to her daughter she fell out of a canoe & a rope was wrapped around her neck....

.....just to make sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep puddles are on the list
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I thought, according to her daughter she fell out of a canoe & a rope was wrapped around her neck. If you're not underwater, not much need to panic - just free the rope!!

Ah but was the canoe actually on water at the time?...:D:D
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was there a millstone attached to the rope , perchance ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would someone who can't swim and has a phobia of water go canoeing though? Don't they teach you how to roll in a canoe if you capsize before you even go out in one ? Something very fishy about all this
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why as she in a canoe in the water if she is *phobic about water as well?

* Stated tonight just before the trial by the woman herself.
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Doctor Foster
    Went to Gloucester
    In a shower of rain.
    He stepped in a puddle
    Right up to his middle
    And never went there again!

The Gillian version

Doctor Gillan
    Went to the Jungle
    To get 5 minutes of fame
    She saw a fly, and a bit of water
    Then fainted
    Oh and she wasn't a proper Doctor anyway
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,876
    Forum Member
    A bit of a stupid question OP.

Of course you can nearly drown or nearly most things, its why the term exists in the first place!

Nearly killed/nearly run over etc etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »

Of course you can nearly drown or nearly most things, its why the term exists in the first place!

Nearly killed/nearly run over etc etc

Read the full post - there was more to it ;)
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,876
    Forum Member
    Read the full post - there was more to it ;)

I only did about a year of swimming lessons, once a week in my primary school days. Would only be able to do basic swimming at best, fell off a jet ski once, if I didn't wave for help when I did, the guy who letted us the jet ski would have just sat there in his dingi 500 yards away while the current would have swept me and my friend away.
  • Options
    i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluntbob wrote: »
    .....just to make sure.

you owe me a new laptop :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not easy if there's an anvil attached to it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »

I am sorry that my original post didn't meet your requirements, Styker.

Judging from your later response, you have actually had a bad experience with water, and I am sorry that you have experienced that. My point was that Gillian claimed to have "nearly drowned" previously, yet tonight claimed to have "never been underwater before". You may see the inconsistency in that statement, no?

I don't really know how to explain that more clearly to you, but thank you for the insult, regardless.
  • Options
    JaggedcatJaggedcat Posts: 3,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a fear of deep water and I reckon it is because I am a poor swimmer but possibly because as a small child I dove into the local pool and came up at the deep end and panicked and had to be fished out. More recently I went down one of those flume thingys and the assistant said something about duck down when you are in but omitted to mention it was dark and the obvious water inside, I almost had a heart attack feeling trapped as I flew down the thing. Of course some wee boys whizzing behind me laughed and said , again as I was reduced almost to tears thinking never, never again. Fear of water should never be underestimated and even though you think you are over a traumatic event it can lurk.

Regarding nearly drowning you don't have to literally nearly drown underwater to experience the psychological effects of nearly drowning. Most of lifes
    trials and tribulations are battled inside your own head and so no other person can fathom what you experience like you do.

walk in another's moccasins etc. and so on.
  • Options
    washboardwashboard Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farmer Ted wrote: »
    I am sorry that my original post didn't meet your requirements, Styker.

Judging from your later response, you have actually had a bad experience with water, and I am sorry that you have experienced that. My point was that Gillian claimed to have "nearly drowned" previously, yet tonight claimed to have "never been underwater before". You may see the inconsistency in that statement, no?

I don't really know how to explain that more clearly to you, but thank you for the insult, regardless.

To be fair, I can see the point that you're both making.

My son 'nearly drowned' once. And when I saw it happening, by God did I belie all my PE teachers' assessments about my inability to run!!

So, I can understand why people's memories are triggered by seeing the part question "How can you nearly drown...?".

I can also see the inconsistency you are pointing out in Gillian's stories:

if someone has "never been underwater before" how can they have been in a postion where they "nearly drowned"?

Good point. I wish someone would ask Gillian that question.
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    washboard wrote: »

if someone has "never been underwater before" how can they have been in a postion where they "nearly drowned"?

That was the OP's point, not simply wether it's possible to nearly drown. No-one is questioning that on its own. She said during the Fisherman's Fiend trial that "I nearly drowned you know", and she's said that before. She also said during the same trial "That's the first time I've ever been underwater"

WHAT THE ****? LYING, VILE WOMAN!

What did she allegedly nearly drown in, mung bean soup?
  • Options
    washboardwashboard Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodgygeeza wrote: »
    That was the OP's point, not simply wether it's possible to nearly drown. QUOTE]

Um. Yes. I know.

That was my point too.

[to be absolutely clear about this - I agree with the point the OP was making]

To be equally clear

[I can't be bothered with spelling this out again - especially when the faux doctor is involved]
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Apologies, all a bit of a misunderstanding.

Bloody Gillian's wound me up and made me all argumentative :mad:
  • Options
    JaggedcatJaggedcat Posts: 3,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    washboard wrote: »
    To be fair, I can see the point that you're both making.

My son 'nearly drowned' once. And when I saw it happening, by God did I belie all my PE teachers' assessments about my inability to run!!

So, I can understand why people's memories are triggered by seeing the part question "How can you nearly drown...?".

It is called psychological fear and can be real or imagined and you do not have to have been under water to experience this. Remember we are all individuals and can only second guess how another person feels we have no idea what it is like for them if we simply compare to our own experiences we are simply making assumptions that can be very wrong.