Options

Should we get rid of bank holidays?

Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They are increasingly pointless to working people, they cause traffic jams, crowded sights, increased prices and they damage the economy. Why not get rid of them all and just include them in people's holiday entitlement. Then if someone wants to take Good Friday, Christmas Day or New Year's Day off they should discuss it with their employer

Comments

• Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the places I've worked you have to put in for the days you want off. Are they set days that are compulsory in the places you work or something? I wouldn't like that.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    They are increasingly pointless to working people, they cause traffic jams, crowded sights, increased prices and they damage the economy. Why not get rid of them all and just include them in people's holiday entitlement. Then if someone wants to take Good Friday, Christmas Day or New Year's Day off they should discuss it with their employer

Include it in their existing holiday entitlement, or add it?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most office work still has compulsory bank holidays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stupid idea....
    people need time to recharge their batteries, we have fewer bank/public holidays than just about anywhere else in the world. The "bosses" currently bitching about an extra day off would have us all back in the days of Dickens, where no one got any holidays at all and everyone worked 23.5 hours a day for tuppence.

for a large number of people the current bank holidays are already included in their entitlement.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to step back and let the parents put in for holidays when the schools are off. I'd rather be off the days when the schools are in!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Bank holidays are a nuisance. They mess about with the buses.

Easter Sunday is the worst of them all as the shops shut. Ridiculous in a secular society and all closed due to a work of fiction.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bank holidays are already taken out of many peoples holiday entitlements, get rid of them and we could all have a choice when we take time off.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bank holidays are a nuisance. They mess about with the buses.

Easter Sunday is the worst of them all as the shops shut. Ridiculous in a secular society and all closed due to a work of fiction.

Surely you can cope with one day a year when the shops are closed? (2 if you include Christmas day)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its amazing how the British have the ability to moan about positive things.
    They are days off work, which you still get paid for! And if you do have to work, a lot of companies will pay you double! What is wrong with that?!

If you dont like the fact that theres bad traffic outside during a bank holiday. Then use the time to stay at home, have a duvet day. Watch some rubbish films on the telly. Sort the garage or loft out, or whatever you need to do. Just please please please please stop moaning and whining!!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boom wrote: »
    They are days off work, which you still get paid for! And if you do have to work, a lot of companies will pay you double! What is wrong with that?!

If you dont like the fact that theres bad traffic outside during a bank holiday. Then use the time to stay at home, have a duvet day. Watch some rubbish films on the telly. Sort the garage or loft out, or whatever you need to do. Just please please please please stop moaning and whining!!

Amen - no-one forces people to sit in a traffic jam on Bank Holidays :D
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member

I couldn't agree more!! What's to moan about a paid day off! I worked in pubs for years and never had a bank hol off. So I love them now. And an extra one this year too :D
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hell no! Keep them there - great to have a day off outside my holiday entitlement.;)
  • Options
    Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Couldn't have put it better myself!!
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

The problem with that is those people who work in a support function would then have to provide cover if not everyone in the organisation is off that day, so for the sake of a few people wanting to work Good Friday for example, everyone else who supports them would also need to work. At the moment, everyone has those days off so no support is required.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great post.

I am not sure it's the British in general, but definately on DS. I have never heard anyone moaning outside these boards.

Surely it's good for business to have everyone off the same day rather needing cover for those wanting it at all different times?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL... brits stop moaning? ...LOL
    yeah good luck with that :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely you can cope with one day a year when the shops are closed? (2 if you include Christmas day)
    Fact is that you don't have to look too hard to find shops open on both of those days.
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people would still want the old 'bank holidays' off anyway - you'd end up with offices full of people asking for the same days off. I work in an industry which doesn't give the bank holidays off - but we do get paid more for working them. Yet rather than people wanting to work them to get more money, most people are very reluctant to work them. They'd rather be stuck in traffic on the motorway.

Now that we've had them for so long, there is no way people will want to give them up, it just would never work. Besides, it feels like a goodwill thing - a day when a lot of people are off work together.
  • Options
    sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rest of the world has and is coping with having more bank holidays than the UK has.

So do me a favour with all this damage stuff, leave them alone or even better give us parity with most other countries and more bank/national holidays please.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

I go shopping every day. I just get annoyed that the silly government and equally stupid church see fit to dictate to me who doesn't follow a heterosexual narrative the days I can't!
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I go shopping every day.

Blimey. You're a glutton for punishment! :eek:
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    stupid idea....
    people need time to recharge their batteries, we have fewer bank/public holidays than just about anywhere else in the world. The "bosses" currently bitching about an extra day off would have us all back in the days of Dickens, where no one got any holidays at all and everyone worked 23.5 hours a day for tuppence.

for a large number of people the current bank holidays are already included in their entitlement.

^What these two said. I'm sure we can all cope with the odd day when the shops aren't open, it's not like a regular occurrence. Plus abolishing them would lead to many employers taking the piss.
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Blimey. You're a glutton for punishment! :eek:

I was just about to say something along those lines. It is a miracle if I go shopping once a month. I probably usually go once every 3 months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we didnt have them I would only have 20 days holiday at work and this would make me :(
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I go shopping every day. I just get annoyed that the silly government and equally stupid church see fit to dictate to me who doesn't follow a heterosexual narrative the days I can't!

what on earth does that have to do with bank holidays?? :confused: