Options

Have you ever changed your mind ...

alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
Forum Member
✭✭✭
... because of an argument on DS?

Seems that a lot of people on here have very strong opinions and there are often quite heavy debates on here with people on opposite sides. I was wondering if anyone has ever changed their opinion as a result of a discussion on here?

Would be nice to think the answer would be yes, thus showing that people are open to learning new things, but would be interesting to find out.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I change my opinions if I agree with another point of view. Sometimes I'll have an opinion on a subject, but if someone opens my eyes to another way of looking at it that I had never thought of, then I don't mind admitting that it's a better opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes quite a few times. It takes a well reasoned argument but often I have. thats why I like DS it allows critical thinking and takes my debates off DS to a whole new level.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have changed my mind. I used to think it was possible to change people's mind. Now I know I am mistaken.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »

Seems that a lot of people on here have very strong opinions and there are often quite heavy debates on here with people on opposite sides. I was wondering if anyone has ever changed their opinion as a result of a discussion on here?

Would be nice to think the answer would be yes, thus showing that people are open to learning new things, but would be interesting to find out.

Thanks in advance.

Rarely change my mind about anything because it takes a lot for me to make my mind up about something in the first place.

Stuff I read and information I see on DS is more likely to influence on forming my opinion than changing it. :)
  • Options
    Packup PetePackup Pete Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet, I tend not to enter a debate unless I am sure of my POV. I am open minded enough to change my mind though. This forums gives me a chance to talk to different people from all walks of life, that I wouldn't get the chance to talk to in everyday life. Its definitely opened my mind to some things that I wouldn't experience normally, the main one being the prejudice and discrimination that obese people suffer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Online or in the real world, I seldom change my stance on something unless someone can furnish me with new facts which then alter my original understanding of the subject. Typa thing ..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    hornbeamhornbeam Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    Yes I do change my mind a lot according to what I read here.
  • Options
    SassernachSassernach Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance.

I think DS has caused me to change my stance on several things since I joined.
    I have even changed some things I once held as a firm thing because of other sites and peoples evidence.
    So I believe debate is about open mindedness and bringing all ideas and views together to make a reasoned decision.
    Otherwise there would be no point to a debate.:)

Good question by the way.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks in advance.

i have changed my mind yes, i used to believe humans were better than i've seen on here

i find there is all sorts of cowardly behaviour displayed here, people can't seem to argue their point maturely without dirty tactics/ undermining/ some are even abusive [albeit elsewhere- but related to what's initiated here]

all the worst parts of human life are here
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Yep - I've changed my mind
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't answer the question without reading every post I've made on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, actually I don't ;)
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    i have changed my mind yes, i used to believe humans were better than i've seen on here

i find there is all sorts of cowardly behaviour displayed here, people can't seem to argue their point maturely without dirty tactics/ undermining/ some are even abusive [albeit elsewhere- but related to what's initiated here]

all the worst parts of human life are here

Seriously?

I thought you couldn't be more wrong than you normally are but I've changed my mind :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deja vu! I am sure I've seen this exact post before, like 4 weeks ago! So much so the first thing I read was the date

I'll open up my perspective on something dependent on something which someone might say, I think once or twice I've changed my opinion completely... but it depends a lot on how formed my opinions were already, normally they'll be completely changed if I've just been reading a thread and formed an opinion in it, posted it, then had it disproved, if it's a deeper seated belief then its more complicated.

For more deep rooted beliefs I often have more reasons to have that opinion than what is discussed in the thread. It does sometimes open up my thought process though... I feel that I use these boards to discuss things which I don't understand 100%, I don't try and brainwash others into my way of thinking, although those I've differed with in debate may disagree.

I don't always acknowledge that somethings changed my way of thinking in a post though, but if it has I do try too.

If someone attacks something I believe though, I'm unlikely to change, because then I get overly defensive, and depending on mood will sometimes just read half the post and run away... if you were to... for example... say TigerBlood, the use of elipses makes you look... well... stupid, and takes away from the post... I probably wouldn't stop using them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Seriously?

I thought you couldn't be more wrong than you normally are but I've changed my mind :D

my experience isn't your experience

please don't dismiss people who have a different viewpoint to you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my experience isn't your experience

please don't dismiss people who have a different viewpoint to you

Since you're still here to complain about it I'm guessing you've not even come close to experiencing the worst that human life has to offer. Get some perspective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since you're still here to complain about it I'm guessing you've not even come close to experiencing the worst that human life has to offer. Get some perspective.

i don't get chased away as easily as some would

not only do i have perspective i have enlightenment:p

there are still a few decent humans here whose opinion would change my mind because of the way they converse, altho i could prob count them on one hand only.

e2a: and what they say
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't get chased away as easily as some would

not only do i have perspective i have enlightenment:p

there are still a few decent humans here whose opinion would change my mind because of the way they converse, altho i could prob count them on one hand only.

By 'here' I didn't mean DS. The worst things that human life can offer would leave you either dead or in such a state you'd be incapable of communicating.

Is that worse than DS?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I would assume I'm one of them ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By 'here' I didn't mean DS. The worst things that human life can offer would leave you either dead or in such a state you'd be incapable of communicating.

now who needs to get some perspective?

i was talking about ds- you cant really be murdered on a forum can you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would assume I'm one of them ;)

of course

who are you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now who needs to get some perspective?

i was talking about ds- you cant really be murdered on a forum can you?

You said 'all the worst parts of human life are here' are you now admitting you've changed your mind and that was a blatant exaggeration?
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How people argue could never change my mind unless it was about arguing or the arguer.
    I would need additional information or pointing out how the logic of my argument is flawed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said 'all the worst parts of human life are here' are you now admitting you've changed your mind and that was a blatant exaggeration?

well we could have murderers here, who knows

now stop murdering my spirit with yer picky ways!:p
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Yep. I'm quite happy to change my mind if I see things from a different point of view. When it comes to factual arguments, I'm perfectly happy to change my mind if presented with strong evidence to the counter.