Emmy's bad editing claims

124»

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    If Emmy wants to make it in the entertainment industry, she'll have to learn to accept rejection, because you get a lot of it in that industry.

I don't get this mentality where it's seen as acceptable to behave like a spoilt brat whenever things don't go your way.

Do you get a lot of being rejected because you're better?

And complaining and behaving like a spoilt brat are two different things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you get a lot of being rejected because you're better?

And complaining and behaving like a spoilt brat are two different things.

She didn't get rejected because she was better. Danny said she was 'further down the line' but that does not mean he thought she had the better vice, jjust that he thought she didn't need as much work.

Xx..xX
  • Options
    man in the parkman in the park Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She knew that whatever she did she had no chance. Aleks was picked no matter what.The same thing happened with others on the night as well. Most notably with heshima and tyler james. From the word go Heshima was shown in a bad light for tyler james to be put through and william was in on it

the whole show is a scam just like the xfactor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bad editing just made it more like the XF the very thing the show didnt want to be, As Emma was not the only one where the BBC screwed it up. .
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    If everybody is so conversant with the TV's way of doing things and so cynical about the editing then why don't the performers just behave themselves and portray themselves in the best light?

Stick on a smile, agree and get on with it. You're a newbie. Don't make waves. Don't rock the boat. Don't be a diva. Then there'll be nothing to make you look bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    If everybody is so conversant with the TV's way of doing things and so cynical about the editing then why don't the performers just behave themselves and portray themselves in the best light?

Stick on a smile, agree and get on with it. You're a newbie. Don't make waves. Don't rock the boat. Don't be a diva. Then there'll be nothing to make you look bad.

Well said, and if she wants to go far in the industry dont make enemies of people who can help you.

Its not rocket science, the 4 judges have a lot of clout in the music industry not to mention the BBC has, dont then bad mouth these influencial people
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't get rejected because she was better. Danny said she was 'further down the line' but that does not mean he thought she had the better vice, jjust that he thought she didn't need as much work.

Xx..xX

If she doesn't need as much work, doesn't that mean that at this point in time she is better?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shefair wrote: »
    Well said, and if she wants to go far in the industry dont make enemies of people who can help you.

Its not rocket science, the 4 judges have a lot of clout in the music industry not to mention the BBC has, dont then bad mouth these influencial people

I think people are losing track of what the criticisms are that the rejected contestants are making. Only one, J Marie, has made any criticism of the relevant judge's decision. The others are all complaining about the editing - Emmy, Heshima and Indie and Pixie because they felt they made to look bitchy or as if they had a bad attitude, Ben because he was annoyed his "battle" with Ruth Anne was only shown as a brief clip. The editing is not done by the judges, so they have no reason to resent criticism of it. In fact, Jessie has hinted that at least some of the criticism is justified.

That said, while Emmy hasn't criticised Danny's decision not to pick her, her anger at the time was evident in her expression and demeanour (though again, as far as we saw she didn't voice it). But I don't think she did see her rejection coming, and I don't see why not immediately being able to stick on a happy smile should be held against her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It used to be considered a British virtue to be gracious in defeat. That was perhaps pre-Thatcher. The attitude these days seems to be 'devil take the hindmost', 'fight your corner', 'trample over anyone to get what you want'.

You have to learn to take disappointment and setbacks in your stride. Otherwise (to older folk like me) you just look ungracious and a brat and that's not something I can applaud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she doesn't need as much work, doesn't that mean that at this point in time she is better?

Not nessesarily. I meant that she doesn't need as much work to be at her best, that doesn't mean her best is better than what Aleks is doing right now or what he'll be doing with a little but of work. I think Aleks was put through because he's got potential to be much better than Emmy because she was obviosuly much 'further down the line' so she should have been much better but wasn't they were about equal, which showed that Aleks was better overall.

That's just wat I got from Danny's words, none of us can know what he was really thinking I guess but that's what it sounded like to me.

Xx..xX
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because no normal human can do that.

These shows record 24/7, with cameras everywhere. No normal person is ever smiley smiley, happy, happy all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not nessesarily. I meant that she doesn't need as much work to be at her best, that doesn't mean her best is better than what Aleks is doing right now or what he'll be doing with a little but of work. I think Aleks was put through because he's got potential to be much better than Emmy because she was obviosuly much 'further down the line' so she should have been much better but wasn't they were about equal, which showed that Aleks was better overall.

That's just wat I got from Danny's words, none of us can know what he was really thinking I guess but that's what it sounded like to me.

Xx..xX
    How do you know what her best is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    How do you know what her best is?

I don't, that's what I think Danny meant when he said 'further down the line' not that she was better but that she couldn't improve as much because she was already nearer her best than Aleks.

Xx..xX
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A normal person at work certainly can behave themselves at all times. I manage to do so for stretches of seven hours at a time!

Some people in sport and showbiz have not a word said against them because they take pains to act professionally in the public eye. That girl wants a showbiz career, does she? Then she'd better learn the basics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It used to be considered a British virtue to be gracious in defeat. That was perhaps pre-Thatcher. The attitude these days seems to be 'devil take the hindmost', 'fight your corner', 'trample over anyone to get what you want'.

You have to learn to take disappointment and setbacks in your stride. Otherwise (to older folk like me) you just look ungracious and a brat and that's not something I can applaud.

While I have no love for Thatcher, to pretend that before her everyone was noble and selfless is preposterous. If you're as old as you say, you should be able to remember enough about the 70s not to fall into that delusion.

And you are ascribing attitudes to Emmy that she didn't display. She wasn't trampling over anyone to get what she wanted, but she was in a competition and clearly wanted to go through to the next stage. If you have an issue with that, then surely you must object to the entire concept of the show, and all the contestants will be equally culpable in that.

And as far as we saw she did take rejection in her stride. While, as I've said, I'm sure she was annoyed at being rejected for the reasons given, we never saw her complain about that, and she still hasn't.

And, by the way, you're a bit presumptuous in acting as spokesman for the older generation, don't you think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Xx..xX

OK, that makes some sense. But it's not what I took from it, and it's possible it's not how Emmy took it either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member

Xx..xX

i.e she was better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i.e she was better

No - more experienced, which made her look bad when someone who was less polished was as good as her. It means he's got more room to grow and looks like he'd be better than her further down the line since they're at about the same level now.

Xx..xX
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't attribute anything to Emmy except not being gracious in defeat. The other characteristics were those I have observed generally and they are equally apparent in people of my age and older.

Emmy has lots of experience despite her youth. Aleks does not, so Danny appears to have stuck to his self-imposed policy (with which I agree) to encourage/develop the raw and untried whom he considers to have potential.
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I base my view on what I hear not what I see :D

Must be having hearing problems then.
    I may not be trained in singing professionally, but I am trained musically and classically, and I can hear out of pitch off-key singing from a mile off. Aleks was off in the beginning (thus he could easily have put Emmy off, but Emmy acquitted herself rather well, and though she was slightly pitchy at places, she was no way as terrible as Aleks was. Worse still, Aleks went off key and completely flat in his delivery towards the very end.

Now I don't really rate Emmy's voice in this competition, but if this is really about the voice, Aleks would have NEVER been picked in the first place. He's more suited in the other loud and over-hyped talent show which concentrated on that so-called X-Factor, or I would say, the SEX-Factor (or more precisely the ovaries-Factor).

I am quite sure Alek's vulnerability endeared him to many of his fans, and even made Danny all protective of him, but this show is supposed to be about THE VOICE. And Alek ain't having one. Unless, of course, one argues that it's The Voice' not the 'Best Vocal Ability', simply 'The Voice', which could be 'good' or 'bad'. If so, then that's really twisted...

I'll admit that he didn't start off at his best, but as others have said, he definitely got better the more he got into the song. You can't really blame Aleks for Emmy going off-key either, I thought the song was actually much more suited to Emmy, so I was sorta surprised that she wasn't as good as I was expecting.

Aleks may not appeal to some people for whatever reason (maybe because he's good looking idk), but if you listened to some of his yt covers, he's got a lovely tone to his voice, I'm not sure we've seen him at his best on the show yet, so hopefully he'll impress some more people next week.

And yeah, I think he's adorable. But if you're confident you're seen as arrogant, and if you're under confident you're seen as vulnerable in this competition. He can't please everybody I guess. :L
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I didn't attribute anything to Emmy except not being gracious in defeat. The other characteristics were those I have observed generally and they are equally apparent in people of my age and older.

Emmy has lots of experience despite her youth. Aleks does not, so Danny appears to have stuck to his self-imposed policy (with which I agree) to encourage/develop the raw and untried whom he considers to have potential.

I guess, but I would feel a bit disappointed with the result and maybe angry. Perhaps she has trouble hiding it? Oh well, we'll never know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My problem with her stemmed from earlier. Seeing her in the day job!
    She's one of those really scary kiddie-performers like clowns!
    I wouldn't want to cross her.

"Now, kids, you WILL join in. You will NOT sob. I am NOT a scary lady."
    I would be very wary, I can tell you. ;o)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Haha! That's actually quite funny. She seemed so nice in her first audition but they kind of ruined that image in the battles.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yeah, I think he's adorable. But if you're confident you're seen as arrogant, and if you're under confident you're seen as vulnerable in this competition. He can't please everybody I guess. :L

I've watched some of youtube clips. But you must remember there are many in XF who sounded awful live but okay or even decent in the studio. Cher Lloyd, that Grimshaw guy (his latest single was a pleasant surprise), even JLS sounded competent when they sang a studio produced song.

So like I said, I think Aleks, with his boy-next-door confidence/vulnerable juxtaposition must be very appealing to that XF crowd. But I really think he's in the wrong show.

Sorry to sound so critical, I hope you could see critical though I am, I have nothing against this guy, because he seemed rather decent and I don't really know him personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't attribute anything to Emmy except not being gracious in defeat.
    The other characteristics were those I have observed generally and they are equally apparent in people of my age and older.

Then why suddenly bring them up in a thread about Emmy? I suspect that you are disingenuous.

So Emmy is to be penalised for having experience? That doesn't seem right to me.