Will an iphone bought in USA work in UK?

mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
I am planning on buying the new iphone 7plus in Miami on nov and bring it back to work in the UK. Will this be ok?

Comments

• d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    mizhog wrote: »
    I am planning on buying the new iphone 7plus in Miami on nov and bring it back to work in the UK. Will this be ok?

Yes, all bands are covered.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Just make sure you buy an unlocked one ;).
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A while back there was a controversy about people selling cheap American version Samsung Galaxy S5s on Ebay when they first appeared. I believe the problem was that the 4G frequencies are different so although 3G worked, 4G didnt.

I would imagine the same might be true of the Iphone.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes but,

if it remains the same as the last models, You'll have two choices with slightly different global compability, You'll need one of the GSM models: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ i.e. Model A1586 (GSM)

Your biggest issue will actually be finding one to buy as if I recall correctly there wont be any for sale sim free from anywhere on release day, as they dont have the EU forcing them to sell sim free ones like in Europe, and it usually takes a while for them to become available off contract.

Last time they didnt become available until January sim free, but unlocked t mobile ones were available before that.
  • mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Yes, all bands are covered.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Just make sure you buy an unlocked one ;).

yep unlocked for sure, so all this stuff ive read about some bands not being supported is aload of guff?
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should work fine but the warranty won't be valid.

Some shops are fine about it but others will refuse a warranty repair as apples warranty on iPhones isn't world wide. If anything goes wrong you'll need to return the phone to the country of origin for repair.
  • mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    It should work fine but the warranty won't be valid.

Some shops are fine about it but others will refuse a warranty repair as apples warranty on iPhones isn't world wide. If anything goes wrong you'll need to return the phone to the country of origin for repair.

it has one year warranty worldwide http://store.apple.com/Catalog/Images/worldwidewarranty.html
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also if this is for cost reasons don't forget about the added state tax which depending on model and state brings them up to only £30-40 cheaper than the uk.
    Forum Member
    A while back there was a controversy about people selling cheap American version Samsung Galaxy S5s on Ebay when they first appeared. I believe the problem was that the 4G frequencies are different so although 3G worked, 4G didnt.

I would imagine the same might be true of the Iphone.

It's not, that's why I included the link to the Apple LTE page in my post just before yours.

Both versions of the USA iPhone 6 cover 800/1800/2600.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    Your biggest issue will actually be finding one to buy as if I recall correctly there wont be any for sale sim free from anywhere on release day, as they dont have the EU forcing them to sell sim free ones like in Europe, and it usually takes a while for them to become available off contract.
    AFAIK All iPhones bought from Apple Retail Stores will be unlocked - even in the US!
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    AFAIK All iPhones bought from Apple Retail Stores will be unlocked - even in the US!

Not all iPhones from Apple are unlocked, only sim free, if bought with a contract or as an upgrade they will be locked (which seems to be the more usual method in the US).
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And wont some be CDMA versions?
    Forum Member
    And wont some be CDMA versions?

No, even the Verizon CDMA phone has an unlocked GSM radio (in fact it's one of the few that are unlocked even on contract).

For example:
    http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1255997

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/verizon-iphone-6-unlocked-from-the-factory-for-gsm.1776147/
  • ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP wants an item that's not out yet.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mizhog wrote: »

I've been told by several Apple employees that iPhone warranties are country specific. I was intending to do the same, have an iPhone bought for myself by a friend who was in the US at the time.

I showed him that link and was told sorry but as far as we are told, warranty is country specific For iPhone and that's how their store operates. This was in my local Apple Store.

You may get a different answer in yours. Maybe worth contacting Apple live chat and asking them.

Not saying you're wrong. Just sharing my experience.
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    I've been told by several Apple employees that iPhone warranties are country specific. I was intending to do the same, have an iPhone bought for myself by a friend who was in the US at the time.
    Apple warranties for iPhones bought in ANY EU (actually EEA+Switzerland I think) ARE valid in any other such country.

I agree that, strictly, US iPhones may not be covered in the UK. Many people have reported that Apple Stores normally ignore this and repair them anyway! It's a risk that they might not I suppose.

I am unclear if buying Applecare would sort this problem out.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Zebb wrote: »
    The OP wants an item that's not out yet.

It's amazing that all these people are able to offer advice and links for something that has not even been announced yet.

To the OP I would wait and see what Apple announce. Incidentally, you need to be careful buying in the US. Once you add in local taxes and any custom charges it can be expensive.
    Forum Member
    prking wrote: »
    It's amazing that all these people are able to offer advice and links for something that has not even been announced yet.
    Why??? People know EXACTLY WHEN it is going to be announced (September). If already planning a trip to the US after then then why not plan ahead!
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    Also if this is for cost reasons don't forget about the added state tax which depending on model and state brings them up to only £30-40 cheaper than the uk.

It's much more than that! I saved £86 by buying my iPhone 6 in New York. I'm using it right now. Model number A1549, it was labelled at T-Mobile Unlocked and I got it in December. I didn't have to wait for them to bring out the official unlocked one as the T-Mobile one was unlocked.

I read the Verizon model is unlocked also but I didn't want to risk it. I liked the idea of it being able to pick up CDMA as well but actually I don't think any of the UK networks would let you roam into Verizon or Sprint anyway.

The Mrs bought her 5c in Boston and saved even more (percentage wise) as the sales tax is lower there.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    It's much more than that! I saved £86 by buying my iPhone 6 in New York. I'm using it right now. Model number A1549, it was labelled at T-Mobile Unlocked and I got it in December. I didn't have to wait for them to bring out the official unlocked one as the T-Mobile one was unlocked.

I read the Verizon model is unlocked also but I didn't want to risk it. I liked the idea of it being able to pick up CDMA as well but actually I don't think any of the UK networks would let you roam into Verizon or Sprint anyway.

Yes, the T-Mobile one is the only model to get for a few weeks as the "fully unlocked" isn't sold by Apple US retail stores for some reason for a time delay.

All the models support CDMA, my iPhone 6 can see Verizon and Sprint signals in areas where my family are on CDMA (1xRTT data) but no UK network has a roaming agreement.

One day Verizon will turn off CDMA and they will be an LTE only network, then they might start thinking about roaming, and might sell prepay SIMs to foreign travellers. AT&T don't but T-Mobile do.
    Forum Member
    Why??? People know EXACTLY WHEN it is going to be announced (September). If already planning a trip to the US after then then why not plan ahead!

So where are the confirmed specs that would enable someone to answer the OP's questions?

There are an equal number of rumours that Apple will release a 6C and smaller screen handset in the autumn and a 6S or 7 later in the year (because of issues with full hd in-cell touch).

It's just odd to advise someone based on guesswork or as the majority have probably done, by skim reading the post.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To the OP I would wait and see what Apple announce. Incidentally, you need to be careful buying in the US. Once you add in local taxes and any custom charges it can be expensive.

...as in not worth the bother

Though One suspects an encounter with HMC&E is not part of the OP's anticipated financial equation ;-)
    Forum Member
    There are an equal number of rumours that Apple will release a 6C and smaller screen handset in the autumn and a 6S or 7 later in the year (because of issues with full hd in-cell touch).
    I thought I followed most of the rumours and you are the the very first I have seen to suggest this!!!:o

In any event why not get general advice based on several previous years?
    Forum Member
    I thought I followed most of the rumours and you are the the very first I have seen to suggest this!!!:o

In any event why not get general advice based on several previous years?

There's no problem with general advice as long as people make it clear that they are offering general advice based on what has happened in the past. As is typical for here, people either mis read the OP or offer advice based on something they heard (rather than something they know).