Options

Ch4 Not safe for work

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Not safe for work

1/6. Workplace comedy drama, starring Zawe Ashton as Katherine, a civil servant reluctantly relocated from London to Northampton. In the first episode, with an important briefing imminent, she has to help new boss Danny cover up the fact his department has not done any work for the past two years.

This is a struggle, I know bits of it should be amusing but they're not raising a smile here.
Given it's Zawe Ashton who's a cracking actor I might stick with it solely for her and treat it as a drama, rather than comedy/drama.

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Seems like a cross between W1A and Fresh Meat.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like W1A with a broader appeal.

I enjoyed it until the first ad break. After that, like you, I didn't find it funny but as a drama, it held my interest. I'll almost certainly be watching again next week.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    What was that?! I watched it but I've no idea what it was. I'd thought it was meant to be a comedy but it wasn't that unless it's just too subtle for me. Too many daft. ,or unlikeable people for me to enjoy it as a drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK it did raise a smile in the last 10 minutes and it looks like it might have the odd moment next week, so I'll probably give it another go, if I remember it's on.

There are plenty of clues to an emerging backstory for all the characters, so watch it for the drama if anything.
    I hope herself from Mimic gets something to do next week.
    That reminds me...
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was that?! I watched it but I've no idea what it was. I'd thought it was meant to be a comedy but it wasn't that unless it's just too subtle for me. Too many daft. ,or unlikeable people for me to enjoy it as a drama.

I haven't seen it described anywhere as purely a comedy. Comedy drama seems to be the usual appellation for it. It's a shame that programmes seem to have to conform to a tag. This is what it is. A story of a sensible young woman surrounded by grotesque characters. Nothing very original about it. Some of the characters are ludicrously written and acted. It's hard to really believe in the story. But it has one bright, shining, centre. Zawe Ashton is fabulous in everything she does. It could be said that this is not good enough for her, but as long as she's in just about every scene, I'll keep watching it.
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member
    Utter dross. Lasted 10 minutes and then I flicked straight over to Big Brother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mel_drew wrote: »
    I haven't seen it described anywhere as purely a comedy. Comedy drama seems to be the usual appellation for it. It's a shame that programmes seem to have to conform to a tag. This is what it is. A story of a sensible young woman surrounded by grotesque characters. Nothing very original about it. Some of the characters are ludicrously written and acted. It's hard to really believe in the story. But it has one bright, shining, centre. Zawe Ashton is fabulous in everything she does. It could be said that this is not good enough for her, but as long as she's in just about every scene, I'll keep watching it.

Yes I should've said comedy drama but the point I was making was there was no comedy; in my opinion of course. I couldn't stand the character, the guy, who was her boss and the woman she was supposed to share a desk with seems like she's imitating a character from W12 without success. The bloke she shagged and the guy getting a speech ready (if that's correct, I know he was preparing something) were both bland.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might watch again next week, but agree some of the characters were unlikable.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking of catching it on 4OD on account of Zawe Ashton. If the general consensus is that it's crud, I'll give it a miss. I've been a Zawe fan since the days of Vod.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys - can i join the Zawe Ashton fan club as well please? It seems to be the "cool" thing to say how great she is...............

Personally thought Vod was an awful character, overacted and awfully written....

As for this.......47 minutes of my life i can't get back.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave it ten minutes,then went back to a rather
    good book I am currently reading. I wanted to like
    it and hoped it would be interesting enough to stay
    with but sadly....no!
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'comedy' doesn't always 100% equate to 'laugh out loud'

'a play characterized by its humorous or satirical tone and its depiction of amusing people or incidents, in which the characters ultimately triumph over adversity'

i quite enjoyed it and, as others have said, i could see little bits of this and that in it.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could have been better if the writer hadn't wanted to shock people more than they did, provide a good drama, some bits were good, most weren't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Bonnie Scotland;78759954]'comedy' doesn't always 100% equate to 'laugh out loud'

'a play characterized by its humorous or satirical tone and its depiction of amusing people or incidents, in which the characters ultimately triumph over adversity'

i quite enjoyed it and, as others have said, i could see little bits of this and that in it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure we all know that. Most of us don't expect something to be hilarious from start to finish, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't even have to be hilarious at all, I'd be happy with a nice gentle comedy. I imagine people with little boys sense of humour found it very funny when Danny peed through the letterbox, my 13 year old grandson would laugh at that. Equally, when he threw the glass over his shoulder in the car and hit his girlfriend, some would have laughed out loud at that. I agree with Doghouse, it would work better as a drama - minus a couple of stupid and obnoxious characters. I don't mind silly characters, like Will from W1A but I don't find Sophie Rundell's character works as well.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure we all know that. Most of us don't expect something to be hilarious from start to finish, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't even have to be hilarious at all, I'd be happy with a nice gentle comedy. I imagine people with little boys sense of humour found it very funny when Danny peed through the letterbox, my 13 year old grandson would laugh at that. Equally, when he threw the glass over his shoulder in the car and hit his girlfriend, some would have laughed out loud at that. I agree with Doghouse, it would work better as a drama - minus a couple of stupid and obnoxious characters. I don't mind silly characters, like Will from W1A but I don't find Sophie Rundell's character works as well.

Yeah, no worries, cool!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well it's something in the tone, I guess.
    If that stuff had happened in Man Down I have probably giggled or smiled at least.
    I'll stick with it, I don't find any of them likeable, although I do 'feel' something for Zawe's character with her recent divorce and self harming with the staples, etc.

The lady in the back of Dan'ak/Danny's car is his PA/drinking partner, don't know if they're an item in other ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, no worries, cool!

:D:D
  • Options
    katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When something is labelled a comedy drama its often ends up having very little of either
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it curious 50 minutes time slot. Unusual.

Its hard to warm to a cast of characters who are all bellends (with the possible exception of the ex boyfriend) making the lead a flinty, self harming sour puss certainly doesn't aid the likelihood of tuning in again.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was excellent. If Humans manages to progress the story I'm tempted to say the C4 are recovering their mojo lately.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it last night, and it really has to be the worst attempt at comedy I've ever seen. However you define it. It even made 'little britain' and 'siblings' seem funny.

I'm surprised noone else has mentioned the language : maybe this proves how sophisticated they are. Even those morons who find the use of the "F" word hilarious, as though there were something intrinsically funny about it, must have got a bit bored with its constant use for no discernible reason.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utter dross. Lasted 10 minutes and then I flicked straight over to Big Brother.
    Well that raised a laugh here, anyway. It was that bad?

Personally, I enjoyed it. But then maybe I'm easily pleased. I've not seen Zawe Ashton before, but she played the part well.

I was wondering where I had seen the young fellow before then I realized it has he who played Posner in The History Boys.
  • Options
    R_KneeR_Knee Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I found it quite enjoyable. Jenny was the only character I really took a dislike to. Sacha Dhawan (another History Boy) seems to be everywhere at the moment.
  • Options
    kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I watched it - wasn't hugely impressed, but I'll keep tuning in. Are other people like this? You start watching something and then feel obliged to continue watching it out of a sense of - not loyalty exactly - but, bloody-mindedness? "I've started so I'll finish" sort of thing? It's very rare that I abandon a series after I start watching, even when it's some of the average stuff that BBC3 put out which I can take or leave. It has to be really bad for me to do that. The most recent one that I remember dumping was C4's "Scrotal Recall", which really was appalling.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    .............Personally, I enjoyed it..............
    R_Knee wrote: »
    I found it quite enjoyable.................

Normally my view would be that that's fine, we all have different views.

But in this case, I'd appreciate it if anyone could explain what they found enjoyable about it.