New to Blackberry and haven't got a clue

chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
Forum Member
Hello,

I recently got a new BlackBerry Q5 for work and I have no idea what I'm doing :confused:

First of all, what desktop software am I supposed to download? The one I did download from their website, once I connected my phone told me "Your device is running BlackBerry 10 OS. This Desktop Software does not support BlackBerry 10 OS."

Great -_- So what software DOES support my device? Doesn't give me any clue or hint as to what I can download and use instead >:(

And more importantly, how do I sync my entire Outlook system with my BlackBerry? I'm not just talking about receiving new emails, I'm talking about syncing all my inboxes, sub-inboxes, sent items, drafts etc Is that even possible?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :kitty:

I tried to register to the main BlackBerry forum but after 5 attempts where it kept telling me my "Username did not fit the guidelines" (WHAT?!) I gave up.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ring your IT department and get the big smelly fat guy to sort it out for you :D
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Urgh.. this is the thing... we don't have a big smelly fat IT guy :(

Our finance guy is the one that does all of our IT stuff but he's rubbish. He still uses Internet Explorer for peet sake! :o
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    There is but one solution here

new job
    Forum Member
    Ha! But I've only just got this job, and it took me almost a year to find it! :( Plus I get to drive a nice big car so I don't want to leave that either :D
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Ha! But I've only just got this job, and it took me almost a year to find it! :( Plus I get to drive a nice big car so I don't want to leave that either :D

Don't you have a decent phone of your own that you could use for your email?

Just pretend to use the Blackberry when in the office and then use your Android/iOS/WP device when you actually need to do something.
  • jammie82ukjammie82uk Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Hello,

I recently got a new BlackBerry Q5 for work and I have no idea what I'm doing :confused:

First of all, what desktop software am I supposed to download? The one I did download from their website, once I connected my phone told me "Your device is running BlackBerry 10 OS. This Desktop Software does not support BlackBerry 10 OS."

Great -_- So what software DOES support my device? Doesn't give me any clue or hint as to what I can download and use instead >:(

And more importantly, how do I sync my entire Outlook system with my BlackBerry? I'm not just talking about receiving new emails, I'm talking about syncing all my inboxes, sub-inboxes, sent items, drafts etc Is that even possible?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :kitty:

I tried to register to the main BlackBerry forum but after 5 attempts where it kept telling me my "Username did not fit the guidelines" (WHAT?!) I gave up.

A Quick google for "blackberry 10 desktop software" answers your first question

http://uk.blackberry.com/software/desktop/blackberry-link.html

Sorry can't help with the second
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember all the options but I just set up a new BES10 system at work and the limits are set by your IT admin. They have probably set the limit at 2 weeks or 30 days. So he sub folders will only have email that has been synced in that time frame.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies.

I uninstalled the desktop software I downloaded (the one that said my phone was too ancient to work with it), then plugged my BlackBerry Q5 in and a box popped up telling me which software to download for it, so that was helpful! :)

Now, I've downloaded that and got it working with my BlackBerry, signed into BlackBerry ID and paired it with my work computer blah blah blah, but by the looks of things, the only things I can sync are calendar, contacts, documents, pictures and music.

Doesn't give any indication of an email sync? :confused:

I always thought that was what BlackBerry was known for. The whole, best-phone-to-use-for-email thing.

I'm hoping I'm just missing something glaringly obvious here because I really need my emails on my phone :(

zantarous: We don't have an IT Department here :( What is a BES10 system?

d123: Haha! What's with the beef? Like I say, I thought Blackberrys were known in business as being the best phone to use for email? :D
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123: Haha! What's with the beef? Like I say, I thought Blackberrys were known in business as being the best phone to use for email? :D

"were" being the crucial word there.
    BB long lost any reputation for being the "best" at anything.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

zantarous: We don't have an IT Department here :( What is a BES10 system?

BES is the Blackberry Enterprise Server. However, if you are a small company with no IT department then it's highly unlikely that you will have it. BES gives additional business features including full Exchange integration (including folder and address book sync) and greater security. You are almost certainly using the phone in BIS (Blackberry Internet Services) mode which is free but doesn't do a lot of the clever stuff that BES does.

We recently stopped using Blackberry totally throughout the company and swapped over 500 users over to Android. Tell your finance/IT guy to move with the times.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member

As Checks say, the operative word is "were known", if you had asked the question 10 years ago there would have been many people with a BB jumping to help.

It's almost like someone asking for help in how to set up a Palm or Psion...
    chenks wrote: »
    "were" being the crucial word there.
    BB long lost any reputation for being the "best" at anything.

Exactly right.