Options

Is 64gb the most we'll ever see for phone storage ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    it is the same technology.

the development of nand flash and dram are closely linked too. you can switch over a factory between the two quite quickly. there are lithographic improvements at the same rate. and SSD drive is basically a controller and some flash chips soldered to a board.

basically look at the physical size of a 64GB micro sd card.

Fair enough - wasn't entirely aware of the the specifics of that.

It's something I would have certainly expected Apple to at least try anyway. With the various iterations of the iPhone over the years, I guess I thought that a 128gb model would have been a natural progression, especially since the updates for the various "S" and now "C" models don't really seem to be that groud breaking.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    it is the same technology.

the development of nand flash and dram are closely linked too. you can switch over a factory between the two quite quickly. there are lithographic improvements at the same rate. and SSD drive is basically a controller and some flash chips soldered to a board.

basically look at the physical size of a 64GB micro sd card.

It might be easy to switch but its the viability of the product. There isn't the space in devices to stick more than 64GB with current technology. There is also a greater battery drain so a larger battery is required to keep a device competitive.

It's why on Apple devices we only see 128GB on the full sized IPads that have the space for a larger battery and more space for the NAND storage chips.

It really needs the next level of minitorisation of the NAND chips and reduced power consumption for it to become common place in phones and there just doesn't seem to be the driving force in the market to make that cost effective yet