SONGLIST-Week 8 revealed Jukebox

Comments

• 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    not really keen on any of the options for Nicholas. hope he doesn't get the prayer tho as that could just be so dull. altho i'm not sure amazed would be much better for him, they are really giving him bland options.

if sam B ends up with without you it will be the worst possible option for her as it will just reinforce the stereotype she should be trying to get away from. would be interesting to see how she did the living years but I would expect to see a big choir on stage with her if she gets it.

if tamera ends up with FTEISYF then it could be bad for her as it will inevitably be compared to matt and his performance of that is one of the standout songs of all the time I have been watching the show, cant see this woman's work suiting her either tbh, its not a song for a 16 y/o girl, I would think if she ends up with emotion she will do something closer to the destiny's child version than the bee gees as well but do they want to be making the beyonce link again ?

rough copy , not overly thrilled with any of those choices either but I think if they end up with I believe I can fly it wont be a good choice for them after some of their earlier songs

not sure about luke's choices either. bridge over troubled waters might expose his voice a bit , I love one day like this but its not a song I think would suit being cut down to 2mins for the x factor.
    The only people that would compared Tamera's version of The First Time to Matt's is people on this forum the majority of the public won't care or even remember .
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    4troy7 wrote: »
    The only people that would compared Tamera's version of The First Time to Matt's is people on this forum the majority of the public won't care or even remember .

you seriously think regular x factor viewers wont remember matt cardle's version of that song ?
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    We only have until 10pm tonight to vote in this . :)
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you seriously think regular x factor viewers wont remember matt cardle's version of that song ?

I don't think they even remember Matt Cardle. Besides, that version was shrieky.
    Forum Member
    The majority of casual viewers who watch the show wouldn't remember . People forget contestants and what they sung on the show very quickly only really hardcore Matt Cardle fans would probably remember and people on this forum.
    Forum Member
    earldbest wrote: »
    I don't think they even remember Matt Cardle. Besides, that version was shrieky.

in your opinion

I disagree
    Forum Member
    The majority of casual viewers who watch the show wouldn't remember . People forget contestants and what they sung on the show very quickly only really hardcore Matt Cardle fans would probably remember and people on this forum.

so only people on this forum are capable of remembering one of the standout performances of the last 3 or 4 years ?

that's a remarkably patronising attitude to have towards regular viewers of the show
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    so only people on this forum are capable of remembering one of the standout performances of the last 3 or 4 years ?

that's a remarkably patronising attitude to have towards regular viewers of the show

It is the standard Tamera super fan response on here - rubbish anyone and everything that could reflect badly on the blessed one. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member

It's not patronising at all I'm not saying everyone won't remember just in my opinion the majority won't it was maybe a standout performance at the time but it was hardly an X Factor Iconic performance.
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    It is the standard Tamera super fan response on here - rubbish anyone and everything that could reflect badly on the blessed one. :rolleyes:
    Loool oh people do make me laugh on this forum :D
    Forum Member
    It's not patronising at all I'm not saying everyone won't remember just in my opinion the majority won't it was maybe a standout performance at the time but it was hardly an X Factor Iconic performance.

well we'll have to disagree on that last point , and btw I am not a matt cardle fan so not just saying that from any partisan perspective
    Forum Member
    Loool oh people do make me laugh on this forum :D

I kinda thought the same thing about your last few posts tbh , but they made me despair rather than laugh
  • Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I've watched every series of X Factor and I can't remember Matt's performance of it .. :o
    Forum Member
    Well I've watched every series of X Factor and I can't remember Matt's performance of it .. :o

well I would suggest you go listen to it now just in case tamera gets it at the weekend so you at least know how someone sang it properly on the show ;)
  • kaz80kaz80 Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KookyKatie wrote: »
    Luke Friend - Skinny Love (Bon Iver)

The original by Bon Iver is utterly beautiful, and no other version comes close. But it's reasonably current and well-known, and will improve his chances greatly.

Nicholas McDonald - Just The Way You Are (Bruno Mars)

If he wants a career, he really needs to sound more contemporary than the baby Cliff Richard act he's got going at the moment. Awful selection though - why not go with the upbeat 'Locked out of Heaven' if you're going to choose a Bruno Mars song?
    Rough Copy - And if You Ever (Gabrielle & East 17)

They haven't got the chops to do Boyz II Men and I don't think the R Kelly song is suited to a group.

Sam Bailey - Without You (Mariah Carey)

Potential competition winning performance if she gets it right.

Tamera Foster - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Roberta Flack)

Offers her the most opportunity to catch up, given how terribly she's doing at the moment.

maybe cos they were told to pick ballads:confused:
  • tiggerspptiggerspp Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I am so hoping Tamera gets This Woman's Work..... it should be a complete car crash as only Kate Bush and Maxwell have ever sung it properly and Maxwell wasn't that good! She shouldn't still be in the competition so time to get rid!
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    well I would suggest you go listen to it now just in case tamera gets it at the weekend so you at least know how someone sang it properly on the show ;)

Or go listen to the iconic Roberta Flack sing it. That is the version most people will know and that is what Tamera will be judged against.
    Forum Member
    Or go listen to the iconic Roberta Flack sing it. That is the version most people will know and that is what Tamera will be judged against.

I just thought it was too much to expect for x factor fans to know someone who was never on the show but thought they might know who won it just a few years ago ;)
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First Time is possibly the worst choice for Tamera. It's so low at the start, and her low register isn't all great. It isn't exactly a huge belter song, and it may do what Wishing On A Star did for her. Would love her to do Emotions as it would be her moment I think!

Want Sam B to do clown! Modern, beautiful and classy! I suspect she will get Without You, though.

Don't care about the rest tbh. Nicholas' choices are horrendous.
  • crinolinecrinoline Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Luke Friend

One Day Like This, Elbow - This is the best choice for him and his voice, and it's a great song. I think he'd do a great job with the other two, but personally think this would be amazing.

Nicholas McDonald

Just The Way You Are, Bruno Mars - the only song that is relatively current which he really needs at this point.

Rough Copy

If You Ever, East 17 featuring Gabrielle - this is a pretty great song, but also I totally hate The End of the Road and I think if I hear Louis call them the British Boyz II Men once more I'll scream, and wow that R Kelly song is so over-performed and blah.

Sam Bailey

The Living Years, Mike & The Mechanics - choosing this one because I think it would be great to hear her do it rather than another "diva" song.

Tamera Foster

Emotion, The Bee Gees - chose this because it is the song I like least out of the three. Seriously I can't imagine her taking on This Woman's Work and I don't think anyone should other than the incredible Kate Bush. I saw Lillie do it on X Factor USA and I thought she did a pretty good job, but in general I don't like anyone else doing it. Lillie was at least able to put some emotion into it, and it held meaning for her. Tamera is too young to really understand the lyrics I feel, and I don't think she's really got into any of the songs she's done so far so don't think this would be any different.
    The Roberta Flack version of TFTEISYF is also so full of emotion, don't see Tamera coming close to that sort of power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That version was such a moment and cannot be equalled, especially not by Matt Cardle. Having Tamera sing it will just add unnecessary pressure to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will pick to the best interests of the acts. No sabotage! :D

I am most excited for Sam and Tamera's song choices. I hope both do well and zoom to the final. :D
    • Luke Friend: One Day Like This
      Bridge Over Troubled Water could be a disaster. Singing it well requires not only connecting with the song (which he will, based on the back story), but also being gentle. Luke's voice doesn't lend to that.
      Skinny Love is very risky. Thankfully, Luke will probably do straight up Bon Iver, rather than stupid Birdy. That said, he may come off as some Justin Vernon copycat and he leaves. Of course, his fans may just eat it up.
      One Day Like This is not very mainstream. That said, this is the song he can "make his own" the most and could very well give him a moment. Worst case is that he bombs out.
    • Nicholas McDonald: Just the Way You Are
      The Prayer will just reinforce that he is not meant for commercial success. Of course, this will also reinforce his "granny vote" and could prevent Luke from overtaking him as Alpha Boy.
      Amazed is probably too much for him to handle. It tells a story he probably can't relate to. He should stick to the likes of She's the One.
      Just the Way You Are could either fall flat or knock Luke out for good. I saw a video of him and the late Sam Callahan singing this in front of the house's piano, so he's clearly used to it. His biggest problem with this, votes-wise, will be the staging and all the other stuff.
    • Tamera Foster: (anything tbh, as long as she remembers the words, but I will pick) This Woman's Work
      The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is a very big song. Roberta did the song like nobody's business and singing the low notes can be a difficult task. I think with all her competition problems, she can dig deep and create the much-needed wow moment, but of course, she could choke.
      This Woman's Work is also a potential moment-maker. If done well, with enough "she's only 16" references, people could very well warm to her, BUT if she's just a wee bit icy in delivering this, she could sink.
      Emotions is the most current, thanks to Destiny's Child, and will be the least pressure-giving song. That said, the association with her boyfriend will probably remind people of how "evil" she is.
    • Sam Bailey: The Living Years
      The Living Years will allow us to see her not as the mum, but as the daughter. Not sure if this will fit her voice, but it feels like a triumphant song for her. If she opens the show with this and does well, they can just stop the series now and give her the win.
      Clown was her song at Bootcamp. Nothing better than to remind us how far she has gone. If she does this really well, it's game over for everyone else.
      Without You is too typical and considering she's the frontrunner, looking cheap compared to Mariah is the last thing she needs.
    • Rough Copy: If You Ever
      End of the Road can be too cheesy, but if they shape up vocally and control the cheese, they will bounce big-time. They may come off as a cheap Boyz II Men, though.
      I Believe I Can Fly can bring them back to their Week 1 shtick (the better life sob story thing) and can make people warm to them, but this is even cheesier than the first song so there's that problem.
      If You Ever could be big for them, but it might end up as one long disconnected performance. It also seems to be the closest to their "roots."
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that bloody Clown song:( ... Please spare us from that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE vote for Sam Bailey to sing Clown. We need her to do as many contemporary songs as possible if she's going to win. Bleeding Love was great in that respect.
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE vote for Sam Bailey to sing Clown. We need her to do as many contemporary songs as possible if she's going to win. Bleeding Love was great in that respect.

Please no, I don't want to hear another Emeli Sande song. She defines the word overexposure.