KALMS- Do they work fr you?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit fed up of feeling sick constantly :(

I'm trying to do some work on this essay at present, but all I can do is stare at the half-finished prose on the Word screen and feel sick and shaky -- why? Argh! :o

You need to look at your life and what it is that makes you feel the way you do, that's the only way in which I was able to deal with my agoraphobia. I had to look deep into my past to try and find out what had caused me to become agoraphobic. Then I had to find solutions to help me combat the way I was feeling, change my attitude towards the panic attacks and realise they are part of me, but they will not control me I will and do control them.
  • sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    , change my attitude towards the panic attacks and realise they are part of me, but they will not control me I will and do control them.

How do you do that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sgt.cryer wrote:
    How do you do that?

Have you read any literature on panic attacks and how they affect the mind and body, that's where I started. I had to understand what a panic attack was and realise that they cannot harm me, that you can control them and not them controlling you.

Its like you almost have to recondition the brain into having different thinking patterns when something happens which would normally trigger a panic attack. I just kept on telling myself that I could get through this, I would get through this and if I had a bad day well there was always tomorrow and I stopped beating myself up about how pathetic I thought I was.

Try this website, you may find that its of some help to you, it may give you a greater understanding of why your body reacts the way it does to stress.

http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/elearning/

Hope you manage to find something that helps you through this. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers. i just did an online test which said i had mild depression!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sgt.cryer wrote:

I really would book an appointment to see your GP and have a chat to them about the way you are feeling, if you're not happy seeing one particular doctor perhaps you could see another. You could discuss the possibility of some sort of medication to help you in the short term, they may know of some relaxation classes that could be help to you. Have you thought of trying yoga? A few simple forward and backward bends could help to pull some of the stresses out of your body. Some balancing exercises will help to focus your mind too.
  • Mr. XMr. X Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sgt.cryer wrote:

Wow! Fab! An online test that's going to tell people they've got a serious illness! Amazing what computers can do nowadays!

Erm, seriously -- if you think there's even the remotest possibility you might be depressed, close down the hokey internet tests and get your arse over to the docs if at all possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to the doctor but they just said its stress, hence the Kalms! I think the feelings of boredom and aloneness come from being indoors because im not at work!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Fab! An online test that's going to tell people they've got a serious illness! Amazing what computers can do nowadays!

Erm, seriously -- if you think there's even the remotest possibility you might be depressed, close down the hokey internet tests and get your arse over to the docs if at all possible.

Don't you think that doing an online test would be a little help and step in the right direction to getting some help.
    I know the internet for diagnosis isn't the answer, but have you not considered the possibility that the FM may have wanted to find something out for himself before pursuing it at the doctors and he may not have wanted to waste his GPs time.

I personally don't see the harm in looking up some aliments on the internet but always bare in mind that its only a long shot and not the answer :)
  • Mr. XMr. X Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the value of it for some things -- I just think it's a little dangerous for a website to go round telling people they're quite seriously ill when it doesn't really have that capability. A lot of people won't be as cautious and will believe whatever they read on here.

As for the Kalms, I've popped into a town centre and got hold of some, tried them and I can definitely feel a reduction in the anxious feelings. Although it's not particularly scientific -- things do tend to improve for me in the afternoons anyway and I've had some fresh air from the walk round the town. We'll see how it goes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the value of it for some things -- I just think it's a little dangerous for a website to go round telling people they're quite seriously ill when it doesn't really have that capability. A lot of people won't be as cautious and will believe whatever they read on here.

As for the Kalms, I've popped into a town centre and got hold of some, tried them and I can definitely feel a reduction in the anxious feelings. Although it's not particularly scientific -- things do tend to improve for me in the afternoons anyway and I've had some fresh air from the walk round the town. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck. Hopefully you'll get better and i'll get to work tomorrow
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who get panic attacks I gather that cognitive behaviour therapy can be a great help. Ask your GP if there are any courses available.

My aunt tried using Kalms to help with her insomnia but they didn't work. BUT..... at the time her neighbour was keeping about 8 dogs and they used to bark in the night a lot. :( She put some Kalms in bits of cut up sausages in the evening and lo and behold the dogs were quiet all night.
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geena wrote:
    For those who get panic attacks I gather that cognitive behaviour therapy can be a great help. Ask your GP if there are any courses available.

My aunt tried using Kalms to help with her insomnia but they didn't work. BUT..... at the time her neighbour was keeping about 8 dogs and they used to bark in the night a lot. :( She put some Kalms in bits of cut up sausages in the evening and lo and behold the dogs were quiet all night.
    Well I hope it didnt do them any harm!:eek:.. still, that is (as long as they were ok) quite funny
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ludovica wrote:
    Well I hope it didnt do them any harm!:eek:.. still, that is (as long as they were ok) quite funny
    g

No they were fine she never gave them any drugs ie diazepam or anything like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I've got a very good doctor, and I can get myself so worked up in exams etc that I can't stop vomiting. I never sleep, can't eat or even hold water down, which results in the worst headaches imaginable! Obviously I can't do my best in exams, and so get rubbish marks, which means that next time exams come round I get into a state again.

The doctor prescribed me beta blockers which are fantastic. Just knowing I can take one if I need to can be enough to calm me down, as I feel more in control. The night before an exam I just take one, and I can be asleep 20 minutes later, as opposed to up all night!

If your doctor isn't very helpful I suggest asking to see a different doctor if possible
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggy8046 wrote:
    I've got a very good doctor, and I can get myself so worked up in exams etc that I can't stop vomiting. I never sleep, can't eat or even hold water down, which results in the worst headaches imaginable! Obviously I can't do my best in exams, and so get rubbish marks, which means that next time exams come round I get into a state again.

The doctor prescribed me beta blockers which are fantastic. Just knowing I can take one if I need to can be enough to calm me down, as I feel more in control. The night before an exam I just take one, and I can be asleep 20 minutes later, as opposed to up all night!

If your doctor isn't very helpful I suggest asking to see a different doctor if possible

Do Beta blockers keep you tired the next day though?
    Forum Member
    sgt.cryer wrote:
    Do Beta blockers keep you tired the next day though?

Not at all, they just slow your body down, relaxing you, which helps you sleep. Their effects don't last long - a couple of hours or so, but they break the cycle of a panic attack.

When I first took one, just before an exam I felt really spaced out, they did take some of the adrenaline high away from me, so I don't take them in the day, just at night before I sleep if I need to. I can be terrible for lying awake stressing!

I'm in the middle of my final year at Uni, and I know I've got them if I need them, but I hardly need to use them (I've only taken about 5 all year!)

I've pm'd you
  • nextloislanenextloislane Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    similar to kalms, have you tried 'quiet life' tablets, from pharmacy/supermarket/wilkos/home bargains, anywhere like that. approx £3 or £4 a bottle.
    a herbal relax remedy, also contains added b vitamins for that extra help to your nerves, i have tried both and find them both really effective. and if you're into herbal remedies, don't forget fish oils for depression/nerves/poor concentration etc etc. works a treat for me, as does regular exercise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WEll im off to the doctor again and i will mention them. I'm seeing a different doctor so maybe this one will listen!
    Forum Member
    Let us know how you get on!
    Best of luck :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i slept a lot better last night. it was still broken but i was aseep for a lot more of it! i dont think i can take 3 a day though as i felt a bit this morning so i 'll stick to 1 each night before bed and then gradually start missing them out after a while
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey did you think of cutting your caffeine intake?

The reason I dont need Kalms any more is because I switched to decaff!

give it a try!
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do Kalms put you to sleep? Cos i need something to help me sleep at night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote:
    Do Kalms put you to sleep? Cos i need something to help me sleep at night.

i found the answer no. i woke up at 2am and didnt sleep again until about 6!

Try nightol r have a hot bath and a walk before bed
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sgt.cryer wrote:
    i found the answer no. i woke up at 2am and didnt sleep again until about 6!

Try nightol r have a hot bath and a walk before bed
    Nightol? Okay thanks.

I'll check that out. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote:
    Nightol? Okay thanks.

I'll check that out. :)

Get the 2 tablet version, its stronger