Police Banned From Asking for Christian Name

13»

Comments

• Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Skolastyka wrote: »
    What faith was calling for the term to be dropped?

And yes, they are (thinking here in terms of churches in Muslim, Sikh, Buddhist countries etc).

Sorry maybe you believe that but I dont.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What actually constitutes a Christian name, anyway?

An awful lot of names I hear kids being called these day don't seem to be particularly Christian. Not a lot of Annes or Marys or Joans or Peters or Andrews or Shadrachs kicking about.

If you're called a name that's not in the Bible or a saint's name, then it's a given name, rather than a Christian name, surely?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Doesnt surprise me in the slightest.

I wonder if other faiths are as considerate of christians:rolleyes:

It does not need to be a matter of consideration, not that there is anything wrong with a bit of consideration, it is just a matter of logic, not everyone has a 'Christian' name so it is illogical to demand one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

Believe it? I've seen it. Suit yourself though.

Again, you're taking a stab at other religions, but what religion called for the term to be dropped?
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Examples? Sources?

I have one in support of Xtian tolerance by another religion: many Hindus think nothing of going to a Xtian church to pray, which is why they sometimes end up in them in Bollywood films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I'm not seeing where the controversy is coming from. I don't have a 'Christian' Name and different people structure their names in different ways. What's wrong with not asking for a Christian Name?
    Forum Member
    The worrying thing is that someone thinks Kent Police still need guidelines on such things. To be fair to them I doubt many of them do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL 'Christian names'? A lot of the names kids get saddled with now are anything but Christian! DM readers can be so quaint!
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably Sting, Prince and Madonna have complained.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    KBBJ wrote: »
    Examples? Sources?

I have one in support of Xtian tolerance by another religion: many Hindus think nothing of going to a Xtian church to pray, which is why they sometimes end up in them in Bollywood films.

I have another, when i was in Marrakech i saw there were churches and saw worshippers in them just as you see them anywhere else, totally unbothered.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Police could get rid of the people wasting their time on stuff such as this booklet, they'd have more money to spend on important stuff.

I dont actually recall ever asking anyone for their christian name, nor hearing anyone else, and if we did, so what?

I always asked people what their full name was, because that is what we wanted.
    Forum Member
    If the Police could get rid of the people wasting their time on stuff such as this booklet, they'd have more money to spend on important stuff.

I dont actually recall ever asking anyone for their christian name, nor hearing anyone else, and if we did, so what?

I always asked people what their full name was, because that is what we wanted.

Be fair DP people without real jobs have to invent something to justify the pay cheque. ;):D
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Be fair DP people without real jobs have to invent something to justify the pay cheque. ;):D

You're right, the old empire building has taken over. I can remember trying to get a parking space at the nicks I worked during office hours. It was impossible, yet there were only a handful of operational Officers working. At night, and at weekends, the car parks were empty, apart from the same few numbers of operational staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why someone might not know what a "christian" name is but if they get offended by it they seriously need to lighten up! If I was in an islamic country and they did have "Islamic" names and i knew what it meant (first name) i would just flipping give my first name.

I would suspect as usual it is the do gooders that are protecting people that dont even give a crap anyway.
    Forum Member
    I can understand why someone might not know what a "christian" name is but if they get offended by it they seriously need to lighten up! If I was in an islamic country and they did have "Islamic" names and i knew what it meant (first name) i would just flipping give my first name.

I would suspect as usual it is the do gooders that are protecting people that dont even give a crap anyway.

Thing is there no evidence anyone has been offended and any do gooders who think anyone still asks for Christian names must be on a reverse Life on Mars time warp
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank god there are do-badders like yourself around to save us all.
  • sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never in my 31 years of existense have I been asked to give my Christian name. Its always been "first name".

Non story but the the Daily Mail need something to get outraged about on a daily basis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail stirring up a big ole drama as usual. Most people say first name now. If someone says Christian name and the person is offended then the sayer apologises for causing offence and everyone can move on. Police speak is quite "dry" ie referring to "males" "females" "the subject" "the detained person" etc so most would say "first name" as it is more logical - descriptive rather than emotive.

I'm sure most people aren't nearly as offended by other people's religions as the Daily Mail likes to make out. Lots of Muslim people I have met celebrate Christmas and Easter for instance. Probably because most people like a party, presents, chocolate and eating too much.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    The worrying thing is that someone thinks Kent Police still need guidelines on such things. To be fair to them I doubt many of them do.

The odd person might occasionally forget, and say "Christian name" by mistake. It's no biggie, and I wouldn't have thought it required a major fuss either.

Over the years, I've been asked for my Christian name, but I wouldn't embarrass the person by making a scene about it. We're all human and subject to error, especially when tired, perhaps.
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    ffs why is this even news worthy. We have not used the term christian name for years in my role as a nurse. It is an old fashion term that is meaningless in its true sense to large numbers of people including those that would be considered Christian.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Most places did away with asking for 'Christian' names donkey's years ago. It is a completely outdated term.

That's what I was going to say. "Christian name" is such an archaic term. Sounds funny to me too. "My Christian name is John, but my Pagan name is Frank".
  • captainmccoycaptainmccoy Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »

The fact that any Police force has a "diversity support group" shows we have gone way too far .

When will this country get some balls back and realise that someone stupid enough to be offended will still be breathing afterwards.

Another few hundred thousand of council tax money up in smoke
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a Christian name, I find "Christian names" to be offensive to my Atheist beliefs. I have a Forename, a Middle-name and Surname and thats it.
  • captainmccoycaptainmccoy Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will this country get some balls back and realise that someone stupid enough to be offended will still be breathing afterwards.
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I don't have a Christian name, I find "Christian names" to be offensive to my Atheist beliefs. I have a Forename, a Middle-name and Surname and thats it.

'Nuff said
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Nuff said

I do have the right to be offendend do I not?

Just as people have the right to believe the greatest lie ever told or the right to defend the largest paedophile ring in the world.