Gyming and protein powders

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm currently trying to improve my fitness and shed a few pounds; so along with cutting down on the drink and dodgey foods (no more late night kebabs unfortunatley) i've been going to the gym quite a bit. I think I must be getting old or something though as I'm finding the gym a real struggle. The first month was a nightmare as my body just seemed to hurt all the time and I could barely repeat the previous workout with each visit. And it's not like I was busting a gut at the gym either, I was doing some fairly basic cardio, floor work and weights.

So I mentioned this to a friend of mine and he recommend that I should take use protein powder before each workouts. I was very sceptical at first as I'm trying to lose weight rather than bulk up however he told me that the 'body builder' image of the powders was a misconception and that the were really just about adding recovery after workouts. He said the protein combined with amino acids will increase fat burning and repair muscle damage allowing you to train easier.

So I brought some and have been taking it before the gym for about 3 weeks now. To be honest i've not noticed an awful lot of difference; I can definitly do more in the gym and my body isn't hurting as much but i'd expect that anyway as my fitness improves and I lose weight. Looking at the protein levels in the stuff they don't seem that high (18g per portion) and it's 100 calories a pop so I'm a bit wary about taking more.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? In my view I have 3 options.

1 - Stop taking the powder and just continue my works out normally.

2 - Continue as I have been.

3 - Start consuming more of the powder and cut out other meals to compensate for the calories.

Cheers

Comments

• MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long have you been going to the gym for? Who put your workout together? Are you stretching after your workout? The reason I ask is could you be doing too much too soon? Also muscle weighs more than fat, so to begin with you will start gaining weight (they say a measuring tape is more effective than a set of scales because of this!)
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    I thought you were supposed to take protein after you've worked out not before..
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    How long have you been going to the gym for? Who put your workout together? Are you stretching after your workout? The reason I ask is could you be doing too much too soon? Also muscle weighs more than fat, so to begin with you will start gaining weight (they say a measuring tape is more effective than a set of scales because of this!)

I'm a bit of a yo yo gymer, i've been going on and off for years however only started up properly again back in April. And to be honest with you I didn't go that often until recently as my body was just hurting too much.

My routine is a bit of a mismash from suggestions from trainners over the years. I did 12 mins xtrainer, 1000 meters on the rower, 5 mins on another xtrainer type machine or bike, then 12 minutes on the treadmill on hill level. After that I do some sit ups, then i'll do 3 reps each on 3/4 different weight machines. all that usually takes about an hour. As it get fitter i increase the level/speed rather than time as I was told spending long periods on cardio machines was counter productive.

My main problem was my legs aching. I get what you say about stretches but it really feels as though my muscles are 'tired' rather than 'damaged' - ie there is a constant, general low level pain when I train them rather than one that stops me moving properly.

I'm basically only working out enough to raise my heart beat to 80% and sweat a bit. Anything less and it wouldn't be worth going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you were supposed to take protein after you've worked out not before..

I looked this up on the web and it was inconclusive. Seeing as I train straight after work (6pm finish) i'd rather take before as I won't have had any anything else to eat for 6 hours.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit of a yo yo gymer, i've been going on and off for years however only started up properly again back in April. And to be honest with you I didn't go that often until recently as my body was just hurting too much.

My routine is a bit of a mismash from suggestions from trainners over the years. I did 12 mins xtrainer, 1000 meters on the rower, 5 mins on another xtrainer type machine or bike, then 12 minutes on the treadmill on hill level. After that I do some sit ups, then i'll do 3 reps each on 3/4 different weight machines. all that usually takes about an hour. As it get fitter i increase the level/speed rather than time as I was told spending long periods on cardio machines was counter productive.

My main problem was my legs aching. I get what you say about stretches but it really feels as though my muscles are 'tired' rather than 'damaged' - ie there is a constant, general low level pain when I train them rather than one that stops me moving properly.

I'm basically only working out enough to raise my heart beat to 80% and sweat a bit. Anything less and it wouldn't be worth going.

It's a while since I did a regular programme at the gym, but yours sounds pretty rubbish, to be honest. It's completely unfocussed, you haven't got a clue what you're trying to do! And 3 reps (this is correct, is it?) is ridiculous, I used to be doing about 20-30, increasing the weights as I got fitter.

Get someone at the gym to work out a proper programme for you, you're not doing any good at the moment, and you could possibly do yourself some harm. Ask them to give you short (30 minutes) and long (45-60 minutes) programmes as well, so you can use your time more productively, and also get regular reviews of your progress. Most gyms will do that for free if you're already paying them.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is what I do:

Saturday - Chest & Shoulders
    Sunday - Cardio (HIIT) & Abs
    Monday - Back & Arms
    Tuesday - Cardio (HIIT) & Abs
    Wed - Chest & Shoulders
    Thursday - Cardio (HIIT) Abs
    Friday - Rest

I never do cardio & weights on the same day. Some people do; I find it better doing cardio on the days I'm not doing weights.

HIIT is amazing. It really gets rid of that stubborn excess fat. What I do is a 5 minutes warm up at a steady comfortable pace on the treadmill, followed by 40 seconds at very high speed (as fast as I can go), then back down to steady comfortable pace for two minutes, then another 40 seconds at high speed. I repeat this 5-7 times followed by a 5minute cool down.

Regarding protein, I take 30g first thing in the morning with my poridge, 30g one hour before a workout and then another 30g within half an hour post workout.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    It's a while since I did a regular programme at the gym, but yours sounds pretty rubbish, to be honest. It's completely unfocussed, you haven't got a clue what you're trying to do! And 3 reps (this is correct, is it?) is ridiculous, I used to be doing about 20-30, increasing the weights as I got fitter.

Get someone at the gym to work out a proper programme for you, you're not doing any good at the moment, and you could possibly do yourself some harm. Ask them to give you short (30 minutes) and long (45-60 minutes) programmes as well, so you can use your time more productively, and also get regular reviews of your progress. Most gyms will do that for free if you're already paying them.

Sorry, i meant sets (of 15 reps).

I do hear what you're saying but I must admit I don't really understand what you mean by 'focused'. I have no specific aim of my workouts other than to increase my fitness and loss weight. As far as i'm aware all that involves is keeping your heart rate above a certain level for a period of time whilst trying not to over work a specific muscle group.

If people can get fit my just jogging and nothing else I kinda fail to understand why you'd need a complex exercies regime to achieve the same effect. (Though I do accept that I don't know much about this and as i'm obviously having a problem I may very well be wrong : - ) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    HIIT is amazing. It really gets rid of that stubborn excess fat. What I do is a 5 minutes warm up at a steady comfortable pace on the treadmill, followed by 40 seconds at very high speed (as fast as I can go), then back down to steady comfortable pace for two minutes, then another 40 seconds at high speed. I repeat this 5-7 times followed by a 5minute cool down.

I've heard about this - I think my hill routine on the treadmill sets out to achieve the same thing (though not quite as intense). It's also the thinking behind my 1000 meter row as it's really a 3 1/2 minute sprint.
    Regarding protein, I take 30g first thing in the morning with my poridge, 30g one hour before a workout and then another 30g within half an hour post workout.

How do you do this? I would need to take 6 servers of my protein powder to achieve this level which would be a minimum of 600 calories. I think I would go through a 1kg bottle a fortnight at that rate!
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it depends what drink you're using but if it's a "recovery" drink you should be taking it after, within an hour or so, of your work out. It's designed to help speed up the recovery process.

As for not having anything to eat for 6 hours before working out, that may be an issue too. Your body may be starved of energy. Can you not just eat a banana an hour before you get to the gym? Even that will be better than nothing.

Also what other foods are you eating? Are you eating a lot of energy foods, fruit, veg etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends what drink you're using but if it's a "recovery" drink you should be taking it after, within an hour or so, of your work out. It's designed to help speed up the recovery process.

As for not having anything to eat for 6 hours before working out, that may be an issue too. Your body may be starved of energy. Can you not just eat a banana an hour before you get to the gym? Even that will be better than nothing.

Also what other foods are you eating? Are you eating a lot of energy foods, fruit, veg etc?

It's just a non descript Whey protein drink. Though I was told that it also helps with recovery.

Good point about eating beforehand - I hadn't really thought of it like that.

At the moment my diet is roughly

9am - tea and toast (sometimes cereal if there's no bread at work).

12ish - Sandwich (usually tuna) or left overs from my meal the night before (usually some sort of rice or pasta dish). Followed by a piece of fruit.

6pm - Double serving of protein drink.

8.30ish - Dinner (as said before pasta or rice meal usually - sometimes meat and potatos.)
  • sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your body will get used to it.

I've been going to the gum two years now and the first year was tough - my body ached constantly after a session.

But now it's fine, I work out and I don't feel a thing the day after. I don't bother with this protein bars stuff, though I do lean towards a low-carb, high protein diet (but without the bars)
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do hear what you're saying but I must admit I don't really understand what you mean by 'focused'. I have no specific aim of my workouts other than to increase my fitness and loss weight. As far as i'm aware all that involves is keeping your heart rate above a certain level for a period of time whilst trying not to over work a specific muscle group.

If people can get fit my just jogging and nothing else I kinda fail to understand why you'd need a complex exercies regime to achieve the same effect. (Though I do accept that I don't know much about this and as i'm obviously having a problem I may very well be wrong : - ) )

You won't lose weight through exercise alone, I can tell you that through bitter experience, so you will also need some advice on diet. Also, without seeing you, I don't know what your physique is like - you may be quite muscular, or dead skinny like a marathon runner, with a bit of extra fat. Your physique determines what exercises will work best for you.

It will do you no harm to have a personal consult with a trainer, and hopefully cost you no money either. At the very least, you'll know that you're already doing the best sort of workout. People on here will tell you endlessly what THEY do, and it works for them, but you need to find what will work for you. You should not be aching after a gym session. I could do an hour's worth of hard training three times a week at the age of 55 and I had no aches afterwards - and I'd hardly describe myself as athletic!!
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a non descript Whey protein drink. Though I was told that it also helps with recovery.

Good point about eating beforehand - I hadn't really thought of it like that.

At the moment my diet is roughly

9am - tea and toast (sometimes cereal if there's no bread at work).

12ish - Sandwich (usually tuna) or left overs from my meal the night before (usually some sort of rice or pasta dish). Followed by a piece of fruit.

6pm - Double serving of protein drink.

8.30ish - Dinner (as said before pasta or rice meal usually - sometimes meat and potatos.)

Not all protein powders are the same. Some are better than others.

Protein post work out is essential as it aids in the repair of the muscle. Pre workout is also good because as been mentioned you need to fuel the body before working out.

The main thing from your eating habits that stands out (imo) is the 8.30 meal. Way too late, and way too heavy. My advice would be, if you can, try not to eat anything after 7 o'clock.

My eating habits normaly constist of something like:

6.30 - Poridge with protein.
    8.30 - Small handful of almonds.
    10.30 - Banana
    12.30 - Lunch: Quinoa with tuna
    15.00 - Pre workout protein
    16.30 - Post workout protein
    18.00 - Teatime: Big chicken/tuna/makrell salad

Again, this works for me and fits in with my lifestyle. I think anyone serious about getting in shape would have to set out their goals, do the research and fit in a structured plan that works for them. :)
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked this up on the web and it was inconclusive. Seeing as I train straight after work (6pm finish) i'd rather take before as I won't have had any anything else to eat for 6 hours.

I was under the impression You are supposed to replace protien as quickly as you can after a work out, say within 20mins if possible to aid recovery.

To be honest, when you work for a living its hard to fit in the professional dietry requirements for an ache free training plan.

I am 38 and in pre season rugby training, during this period of the season up till about november I don't think I wake up without aching............You just have to try and do as well as you can. Warm up and cool down is essential in reducing the ache. I thinkt he cool down mor than the warm up to be honest.

But you will get hundreds of different advice for this sort of thing because excersize and recovery are very different for the individual. I expect a bit of ache after a workout.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    If i were you i would sort your diet out first.
    The idea is to get your protein/carb intake from foods as much as possible, and use shakes as a recovery drink.

Everyone is different, some people have one before and after workout.

But seeing as your only really starting out i would suggest a high protein meal with some carbs chucked in before workout, this will give you the energy to get through, and then have a recovery shake afterwards, i only have a shake on weight days. I have some cottage cheese after a Cardio session.

I work out AM, so i get up have scrambled egg on toast, with some smoked salmon, that gives me enough energy to go on and perform so heavy compound lifts, or to do some HIIT or Tabata workouts.
    The recovery shake is to get protein and fast release carbs to the body as well as the amino acids, which are the buliding blocks of the body.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I'm thinking what Simon1987 says makes sense.

I think a trap people fall into with fitness is to try and do exercise when the diet isn't right, and that leads to workouts that don't feel very rewarding and you generally feel miserable because your body is starved of energy.

It's the same with water. I once had a PT session at my gym and felt so rotten that I had to sit down for 15 minutes afterwards outside to stop myself throwing up. I then realised it was because I was very dehydrated.

Diving straight into an exercise routine without ticking the hydration and energy boxes first is just making what is difficult even harder. I'm not an expert tho!

Amazing the difference the right foods make and a few high energy snacks during the day.
  • minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I'm currently trying to improve my fitness and shed a few pounds; so along with cutting down on the drink and dodgey foods (no more late night kebabs unfortunatley) i've been going to the gym quite a bit. I think I must be getting old or something though as I'm finding the gym a real struggle. The first month was a nightmare as my body just seemed to hurt all the time and I could barely repeat the previous workout with each visit. And it's not like I was busting a gut at the gym either, I was doing some fairly basic cardio, floor work and weights.

So I mentioned this to a friend of mine and he recommend that I should take use protein powder before each workouts. I was very sceptical at first as I'm trying to lose weight rather than bulk up however he told me that the 'body builder' image of the powders was a misconception and that the were really just about adding recovery after workouts. He said the protein combined with amino acids will increase fat burning and repair muscle damage allowing you to train easier.

So I brought some and have been taking it before the gym for about 3 weeks now. To be honest i've not noticed an awful lot of difference; I can definitly do more in the gym and my body isn't hurting as much but i'd expect that anyway as my fitness improves and I lose weight. Looking at the protein levels in the stuff they don't seem that high (18g per portion) and it's 100 calories a pop so I'm a bit wary about taking more.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? In my view I have 3 options.

1 - Stop taking the powder and just continue my works out normally.

2 - Continue as I have been.

3 - Start consuming more of the powder and cut out other meals to compensate for the calories.

Cheers

slightly picky but protien is amino acids.

I would personnally take a all round supplement either before or after the gym which has carbs in it e.g. phd synergy as recovery isn't about just protein its about replenishing the fuel you have spent...

You will ache if you have burnt though your muscle glucagen stores and need to replenish these right after a workout.

I typically take a protein shake these days and something like a banana or muller rice for the carbs within 30min of the gym.

When I was loosing weight I was on PHD Synergy but now I use My Protein cheaper and does same job if I eat a carb along with it... and few other dietery pills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main thing from your eating habits that stands out (imo) is the 8.30 meal. Way too late, and way too heavy. My advice would be, if you can, try not to eat anything after 7 o'clock.

I agree that my eating times are bad but they are unavoidable. I can't eat anything between 1 and 6 (apart from quick snacks) as i'm at work. I can't eat anything between 6 and 8 because that's when I'm at the gym.

So i'm pretty much stuck.
  • Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think part of the problem is that you are mixing weight lifting with cardio exercises at the same time. Its fine to do for a beginner or something simply tinkering around in in the gym from time to time.

But if you are going regularly it will be counterproductive. This is one way to see it...

Each time you go to the gym your body has a limited amount of resources, if you spread those resources over a large number of exercises or machines it will never be as effective as if you were to focus on one particular area less regularly. Sounds mad, but your muscles are damaged by the workout and need time to rebuild (stronger), if you are re using the same muscle group over and over you wont see proper improvement as your body hasn't had time to heal.

Like some others have posted, make a plan (Monday - Cardio - Tuesday - Chest etc), if you are committed and do go often you are halfway there already :)