Options

Is my Sky+ box dead?

chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
Forum Member
✭✭
It switched itself off about 20 mins ago. It was happily playing Radio 4, then cut off.

The red standby light is on, but I can't bring it back to life by remote control, unplugging and replugging, off-and-on-again, or any of those grweat old British traditions.

What the hell do I do?! :confused:

I am potentially bereft.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    disconnect power (and possibly satellite cables) for around 10-15 minutes.
    re-connect and try agian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought a new one off ebay for £35 incl delivery.

Shame to have lost all those goodies off the hard drive though. Bloody Rupert Murdoch.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shame to have lost all those goodies off the hard drive though. Bloody Rupert Murdoch.

did you try what i suggested?

and what has rupert murdoch got to do with it?
  • Options
    HeathHayleHeathHayle Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    You could have swapped the HDD over to the other box! LOL!
  • Options
    HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member

Hang on. You were listening to Radio 4 at the time of the failure. It must have been the BBC's fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    Hang on. You were listening to Radio 4 at the time of the failure. It must have been the BBC's fault.

:D

Swapping HDDs over is above my paygrade. I do wonder if the stuff on it is lost, and maybe someone techy might be able to switch the drives over for me. On the whole, I think the next rag and bone man to come past will get my dead Skybox.

If it's a simple matter of unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in, i can manage that!

I switched off and unplugged, etc, for various operiod of time (including overnight), and it's still as dead as a dodo. Thanks for the input, Chenks! :)
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Have you tried powering the box up with both the left and right arrow keys on the box pressed?
    That will do a "first birthday" reset, which if it does bring it back to life will have wiped all your recordings.
    Nothing to lose now though, you never know!
    :)