Options

Birds of a Feather returns on January 2nd

Comments

• Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it :)

It's been 15 years but was like it had never been away.

Looking forward to next week!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, glad it's back.
    Is Travis, Daryl's boy?
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Maybe so but one half an hour special is not enough to craft the return of a series. This is the very reason they approached ITV who were prepared to take the risk.

Strangely a reverse situation has now occurred. Years ago the BBC were prepared to c omission a full series and nurture it, with ITV not prepared to do so due to advertising revenue being at state.

Fast forward to 2013/2014 and ITV are prepared to commission full series whilst the BBC are only prepared to do one off specials.

I also fail to see what the difference is between the BBC commissioning a full series of a show that no one has seen before and could flop easily, and commissioning a full series of a revived classic.

It seems to me that the BBC are reluctant to bring back old programmes but are happy to allow endless rubbish to get the green light for production.

What makes things even more laughable is that the BBC still has a comedy department, what comedy do they produce nowadays?

I do see where you're coming from but if the BBC did focus on reviving old shows, some people would moan that they're not investing in new ideas/writers. At least if a new series wasn't successful, the BBC could say "hey, we tried!". If something like BOAF failed, they would get stick for wasting licence fee money and being lazy.
  • Options
    icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    I thought it was brilliant and will be watching this from now on, hope it becomes a regular thing.
  • Options
    JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Really really liked this show , i hope ITV give it many more seasons.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    icefall wrote: »
    I thought it was brilliant and will be watching this from now on, hope it becomes a regular thing.

I liked it too, to me and this may sound boring but it was like putting on a favourite comfy jumper , and as much as some people think we should only move forward with everything brand new that's not always the best or only option , sometimes what you know is actually rather comforting and enjoyable.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    and its all true, wish IDS and Cameron realise they pusing people into poverty.

They know full well what they're doing but the people affected tend not to vote and thus can be treated in this disgusting way without it being politically 'expensive'. An object lesson in cynical, divide and rule political choices.>:(
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I was totally pleasantly surprised. Just as good as first time around. Will definitely be watching again next week.
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the show, and thought all three main characters were just as good.
  • Options
    Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it - it's no better and no worse than the original, which is all we could ever hope for. I thought Dorien's '60 Shades of Green' was genius, and just perfect for the character. You can see the jokes coming a mile off, but it's still satisfying to watch them be delivered. In a really strange way it's like it's never been off TV, which can only be attributed to the quality of the script and stars. The BBC will be most unimpressed, especially as I see this doing better than the supposed full series of 'Still Open All Hours'.

I just want to add that a number of times throughout I did think to myself 'God she's aged'. We all know it's years since it was on TV and of course the actresses have aged, but you have to remember that over the last 15 - 20 years that it hasn't been on TV, in our minds the characters haven't aged - it's just that we remember them as they are that's all.

From a purely observational point of view, in all honesty Dorien's would have had a facelift and Botox. Such steps would of course be unthinkable for an actress to do for 8 episodes so there's not much that could have been done about it, but as a fan of Dorien's it would have been completely in character for her to have had work done.

That said, when she smiled she hadn't aged a single day.
  • Options
    Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also enjoyed it, having loved the original. not groundbreaking but like slipping on a comfy pair of slippers - and I think it will get better once it's established itself again.

one thing bugged me, though it's meant to part of the comedy - why would Sharon schlep Dorien's cases in like that instead of telling her to "bog off and do it ya self Dor" ?!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very strong and enjoyable start - it's never been overly slapstick or roll-in-the-aisles funny but gentle humour and it works very well. For episode one, well done to all concerned. I hope the remaining seven match this standard.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    Loved it :)

It's been 15 years but was like it had never been away.

Looking forward to next week!

This sums up tonight's return of Birds Of A Feather perfectly, and is the ultimate compliment really. I enjoyed it, and the political aspect was inspired and spot on too. The BBC must be out of their minds to have let this slip to the other side. They need all the half reasonable comedies they can get their hands on nowadays, surely?
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite saddening how many people are focussed on the actresses looking older - it's akin to a daily mail article.

It was okay, this sort of thing is always difficult to get right (when they have to explain the intervening decades) without labouring the point. I'll watch more before I decide whether I like it or not.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Loved It back in the day, and it hasn't lost any of the magic.

Welcome back BOAF.
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the odd one out here as I found it too predictable & rather boring. I loved the original BOAF episodes & was looking forward to ITV's re-working of the show, instead I felt let down.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    cezzy wrote: »
    Obviously the odd one out here as I found it too predictable & rather boring. I loved the original BOAF episodes & was looking forward to ITV's re-working of the show, instead I felt let down.:(
    ##

Not the odd one out at all. I generally love all the old comedy shows and was looking forward to the return of Birds of a Feather. It has proved to be one of the unfunniest programmes I have ever seen. Even the Cockney accents seem over-done, everything any of the characters says is met with gales of recorded shrieks of hysterical laughter. I lasted through about 15 minutes then couldn't think why I was wasting time watching this dreadful rubbish and switched off.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    loracan wrote: »
    It's quite saddening how many people are focussed on the actresses looking older - it's akin to a daily mail article.

It was okay, this sort of thing is always difficult to get right (when they have to explain the intervening decades) without labouring the point. I'll watch more before I decide whether I like it or not.

To be fair it's hardly 'many' people who've commented on age, given the number of respondents to the thread. It's a few.

In fact this thread is the most resoundingly positive I've ever read on the DS TV forum, which means the show got it spot-on.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    LizzieDee wrote: »
    ##

Not the odd one out at all. I generally love all the old comedy shows and was looking forward to the return of Birds of a Feather. It has proved to be one of the unfunniest programmes I have ever seen. Even the Cockney accents seem over-done, everything any of the characters says is met with gales of recorded shrieks of hysterical laughter. I lasted through about 15 minutes then couldn't think why I was wasting time watching this dreadful rubbish and switched off.

Recorded laughter??
    These sitcoms are filmed in front of a *live audience*.
  • Options
    mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in the audience for one of the recordings, and everyone was really enjoying it and laughing.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to avoid it since bringing back shows almost never works for me but I gave it a change and absolutely loved it! It was like Birds has never been away, the tone and everything else was perfect. I am so happy they even kept What'll I Do. Very, very pleased fan here and I do hope future episodes keep up the quality.
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I loved it

it still works
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it yet but the reviews here seen very positive which is encouraging :)
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    One bit I did like is where they kept the continuity of that episode where found out their birth names (they were adopted and used their adoptive parents surname Rackham) were and thought George Harrison the film star was their Dad.

I'm pretty sure the fact their birth name was Harrison was only ever mentioned in that one episode so could have easily have been overlooked