Brand New Agatha Christie Series

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 488
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a554508/david-walliams-to-star-in-new-agatha-christie-series-on-the-bbc.html

Brand new version of Partners in Crime!

Lots of other documentaries planned too. It's great BBC are doing all these shows, but I am a little disappointed ITV are doing nothing. After all the Agatha Christie work they have done.. I still want them to do more Marple.

Comments

• chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds promising
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Oh, good news. I quite liked the Tommy and Tuppence books.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    That's great news. I love N&M, although I'm having trouble picturing David Walliams in the role of Tommy. However, as it's BBC hopefully they won't start getting too 'creative' with the original stories. The recent Tommy & Tuppence adaptation (with Miss Marple also shoehorned in) was absolutely woeful. Tommy a negligent husband and Tuppence bordering on alcoholism!
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's great news - I loved Tommy & Tuppence, especially the adaptations with Francesca Annis. T really hope these with David Walliams are a success and they go on to make more. N & M is a great story - but aren't they older & retired in that one ? ( my memory is a bit vague !)

I think success will depend on who is cast as Tuppence - I couldn't see it mentioned in that article ?

Also looking forward to And Then There Were None - although I don't think that the atmosphere of the one with Dennis Price & Wilfred Hyde White can be beaten. It being in black & white did add to the atmosphere.
    Forum Member
    looby383x wrote: »
    That's great news - I loved Tommy & Tuppence, especially the adaptations with Francesca Annis. T really hope these with David Walliams are a success and they go on to make more. N & M is a great story - but aren't they older & retired in that one ? ( my memory is a bit vague !)

I think success will depend on who is cast as Tuppence - I couldn't see it mentioned in that article ?

Also looking forward to And Then There Were None - although I don't think that the atmosphere of the one with Dennis Price & Wilfred Hyde White can be beaten. It being in black & white did add to the atmosphere.

I remember reading it as a teenager and picturing Tommy and Tuppence as being really old from the descriptions of them feeling written off, their kids being grown up etc. When I read it again years later I was shocked to discover they were only in their forties.
    I agree, the casting of Tuppence will be important. Francesca Annis was great in the role. Greta Scaachi was all wrong in the recent adaptation of By The Pricking of my Thumbs. I think Keeley Hawes would be good. I know she's only in her late thirties but with a war time hair do and make up I'm sure she could look a bit older.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I hope the new version follows the original ending in the book as opposed to the reworked one that Agatha Christie wrote for the stage in 1943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I hope the new version follows the original ending in the book as opposed to the reworked one that Agatha Christie wrote for the stage in 1943
    Agreed - although I don't know the 1943 ending, the book is the best of the one's I've seen. Is the 1943 ending anything like the one they had for the Oliver Reed film version ?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed - although I don't know the 1943 ending, the book is the best of the one's I've seen. Is the 1943 ending anything like the one they had for the Oliver Reed film version ?

I don't think I've ever seen the Ollie Reed version but in all of the three film versions I've seen the 1943 ending is followed... in other words
    Two of the characters survive instead of all of them dying
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I am a huge Agatha Christie fan, but I can't help but feel that we've had more than enough adaptations of her novels over the years - we certainly don't need any more. If the BBC wanted to celebrate her anniversary, what about a biopic? Although almost everyone knows about her novels, yet their creator remains an enigma.

There are other Golden Age crime writers whose works have never adapted for television that the BBC could commission - what about Josephine Tey or Patricia Wentworth? Or if they want cosy crime, something more contemporary like M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin or anything by Simon Brett?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I'm also an AC fan, I couldn't stand the T&T stories. Now the Harley Quin stories : they would be worth filming, though it would have to be a series, because I have a faint memory that the last story explains a lot about who Harley Quin is.

At least four of Joephine Tey's books have been on the radio, many years ago. But I'd love to see TV versions of The Franchise Affair (so much easier to see the major clue without merely having a description), Brat Farrar, The Singing Sands and A Shilling for Candles.

Similarly, Simon Brett's Charles Paris stories would make ideal TV - if you find the crime too easy to solve (and most did have an identical pattern) then just concentrate on the story - a behind the scenes look at the theatre or TV.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Tommy and Tuppence stories but I have a problem seeing David Walliams as Tommy. It'll be interesting to see who they cast as Tuppence
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Tommy and Tuppence stories but I have a problem seeing David Walliams as Tommy. It'll be interesting to see who they cast as Tuppence

Tuppence Middleton would be great. She's gorgeous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen the Ollie Reed version but in all of the three film versions I've seen the 1943 ending is followed... in other words
    Two of the characters survive instead of all of them dying

Yes - that's the same as the Oliver Reed version.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

N or M is during the war so T and T were relatively young - at least Tommy was still working for Intelligence.
    I do hope they don't cast Tuppence to be a glamorous young actress! Can't really see Walliams as Tommy either but I suppose since he wrote it..... pity though.:(
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    While I'm also an AC fan, I couldn't stand the T&T stories. Now the Harley Quin stories : they would be worth filming, though it would have to be a series, because I have a faint memory that the last story explains a lot about who Harley Quin is.

At least four of Joephine Tey's books have been on the radio, many years ago. But I'd love to see TV versions of The Franchise Affair (so much easier to see the major clue without merely having a description), Brat Farrar, The Singing Sands and A Shilling for Candles.

Similarly, Simon Brett's Charles Paris stories would make ideal TV - if you find the crime too easy to solve (and most did have an identical pattern) then just concentrate on the story - a behind the scenes look at the theatre or TV.

YES!!!! To all of your post! Why on earth haven't they done Josephine Tey's thrillers???
    Such brilliant stories - even Daughter of Time which is an unconventional 'thriller' seeing as how Richard III was such a huge story last year.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Daisy Dalrymple stories by Carola Scott would make good adaptations for TV, too. Although written now, they have the right feel.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I am a huge Agatha Christie fan, but I can't help but feel that we've had more than enough adaptations of her novels over the years - we certainly don't need any more. If the BBC wanted to celebrate her anniversary, what about a biopic? Although almost everyone knows about her novels, yet their creator remains an enigma.

There are other Golden Age crime writers whose works have never adapted for television that the BBC could commission - what about Josephine Tey or Patricia Wentworth? Or if they want cosy crime, something more contemporary like M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin or anything by Simon Brett?

I've got all the Agatha Raisin stories from the radio with Penny Keith. Love them!
    They didn't do that many, compared to how many stories there are.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    I've got all the Agatha Raisin stories from the radio with Penny Keith. Love them!

I've listened to a couple of them and loved them. Penelope Keith plays Agatha superbly and it's a shame they've not done any more. I'm quite surprised, judging by their global popularity, that they've not been adapted for TV yet!

I think the Carola Dunn books with Daisy Darlymple would make for great TV as well. There is another excellent wartime crime series by Jacqueline Winspear about Maisie Dobbs, that would be good as well.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »

Me too would love to see Penelope Keith in a TV adaptation of Agatha Raisin.;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member

I might be mis-remembering but I am sure some of Josephine Teys stories have been dramatised. Might have been back in the 70's. The Franchise Affair and Brat Farrar were done as serials I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I might be mis-remembering but I am sure some of Josephine Teys stories have been dramatised. Might have been back in the 70's. The Franchise Affair and Brat Farrar were done as serials I think.

Franchise Affair certainly was. It is good too.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304036/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
    Forum Member
    Simon Brett's 'Fethering' books would adapt well to television I think.

Just read in the Radio Times that the T&T adaptations are going to be set in the 1950s. How on earth could you move N orM to the 1950s? The second world war is an essentai element of that story.