Options

Ban the word bossy

Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
Forum Member
✭✭
Beyonce Joins Stars In 'Ban Bossy' Campaign

Victoria Beckham and Jennifer Garner are among other public figures to support the campaign which encourages girls to take charge.

URL="http://news.sky.com/story/1223670/beyonce-joins-stars-in-ban-bossy-campaign"] Ban the word bossy[/URL]

No its wrong to ban the word bossy,as bossy people need to be told that they are bossy no matter what sex that they are,as why should bossy people get away with been bossy,

Comments

• Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How pathetic.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bossy cows.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall endeavor to use the word bossy more often.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Bossy? I haven't heard that word since I was in year 8 at school.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    usual pathetic passive aggressive PC bollox

its like the word "judge"

people say dont judge me

what they mean is dont judge me negatively
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shark jumped.

I'd rather ban bossy people who try to tell us what words we are allowed to use.
  • Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    usual pathetic passive aggressive PC bollox

its like the word "judge"

people say dont judge me

what they mean is dont judge me negatively

The P.C do gooders at it again,were will it stop.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically enough they say people call them bossy when they're not, yet are being bossy by trying to ban the word bossy.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    The P.C do gooders at it again,were will it stop.

i take it youre being sarcastic which is fair enough

the PC conditioning working well then

what do you call guy gibsons dog? ;-)
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only word I'd like taken out of circulation is "ban". It's the go-to word for small-minded idiots the world over. :D
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this on sky news this morning, ridiculous. I can only imagine someone somewhere trousered a wad of cash to create the campaign ads though. Next!

From what I remember of my early school days, it was as likely to be applied to boys too.
    Any male bosses I've had have been called far worse!
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather ban Beyoncé and Posh Spice tbh.
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the issue is more to do with how it's used in a negative way towards mainly females.
    If a man is bossy they are mainly consindered to be assertive, authoritive etc, which are positive, but if a female shows the same traits they are considered bossy.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found some good words and phrases that can be used instead of the word "bossy":

domineering, dominating, overbearing, imperious, masterful, autocratic, officious, high-handed, high and mighty, authoritarian, dictatorial, strict, harsh, severe, iron-handed, controlling, despotic, tyrannical, draconian, oppressive, subjugating, undemocratic, anti-democratic.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Kathrynha wrote: »
    I think the issue is more to do with how it's used in a negative way towards mainly females.
    If a man is bossy they are mainly consindered to be assertive, authoritive etc, which are positive, but if a female shows the same traits they are considered bossy.

I heard something on radio 4 about this. A couple of women were calling for a ban on the word in schools because they said it was mainly used to describe girls. The whole thing was ridiculous. In my opinion, boys are far more likely to be labelled as a naughty, jack the lad, scamp, silly, daft (or numerous other terms that seem to be mostly attributed unfairly to boys).

So I suppose they'll be wanting to ban all those words too, in the interest of fairness, obviously? I suppose they could ban words like 'pervy' while they're at it, that are used overwhelmingly against men? Or perhaps stop being so ridiculous and go back to singing about girls ruling the world, or how much easier her life would be if she were a boy, or whatever :p
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kathrynha wrote: »

I've never encountered 'bossy' as being a positive term when applied to men - honestly, in an all-male workplace being regarded as 'bossy' is not admired. You'll soon acquire a much more derogatory label.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toastie wrote: »
    How pathetic.

Quoted for truth. Had to check the date. Thought for a moment I'd woken up the day after the last day of March ;-)
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member

I know, i haven't heard it since school either.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really one for banning words, but can we chuck 'respect' and 'disrespect' into the bin while we're there? Most overused, meaningless terms ever.

I'll keep 'bossy' though. Don't hear it that much.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    I've never encountered 'bossy' as being a positive term when applied to men - honestly, in an all-male workplace being regarded as 'bossy' is not admired. You'll soon acquire a much more derogatory label.

Exactly. It's not like the alternatives are any better. A man acting in an incredibly bossy manner will just quickly acquire the names 'tosser' or 'arsehole' instead! They're kidding themselves if they think women are so hard done by, they're the only ones who have to deal with negative terms being thrown at them. They need to grow up and live with it, because the only way to prevent negative terms would be to ban language :p Considering Beyonce has built a career on being a 'diva', I find it pretty rich.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ban the word 'bossy'... says the woman who sang "I'm bigger than life, bow down, bitches" :D
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I heard something on radio 4 about this. A couple of women were calling for a ban on the word in schools because they said it was mainly used to describe girls. The whole thing was ridiculous. In my opinion, boys are far more likely to be labelled as a naughty, jack the lad, scamp, silly, daft (or numerous other terms that seem to be mostly attributed unfairly to boys).
    So I suppose they'll be wanting to ban all those words too, in the interest of fairness, obviously? I suppose they could ban words like 'pervy' while they're at it, that are used overwhelmingly against men? Or perhaps stop being so ridiculous and go back to singing about girls ruling the world, or how much easier her life would be if she were a boy, or whatever :p

Very good point. I think there is an issue with how people are perceived that is influenced by gender.
    I think the solution shouldn't be banning words, because sometimes those words are correct, but rather the solution should be trying to change peoples attitudes to treating boys and girls differently.

Some kids are bossy, but rather than calling them bossy in a derogative way, they should be encouraged to develop their skills in dealing with other. The same goes for encouraging a 'naughty' kids energy to be used in a more worthwhile way.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i take it youre being sarcastic which is fair enough

the PC conditioning working well then

what do you call guy gibsons dog? ;-)

Now that's interesting - you assume that someone who apparently agrees with your own statement must be "being sarcastic". How curious - one might almost think you were just affecting the "PC GAWN MAD" position in the first place...
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only conclude that if this pedantry is what the latest equality battle is over then everything else is great.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose if a man is 'bossy' their regarded as being in control, exerting authority (which can be seen positively?) whereas for women its seen perhaps more negatively, like 'ooh what a bossy boots!' (lol).