Options

Dissertation binding - price?

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
Forum Member
Hi!
I've recently finished my dissertation (yay!) and now I have to get two copies ring or thermal bound to hand in. I've checked online, and there is one place online where I can see the pricing. I put in the specifications I need and they said it would cost £50:o to have two copies printed and bound.

Now i'm not able to afford that and it seems an absurd price. I was expecting something along the lines of £5 each. Has anyone got any experience of this, and what is the typical pricing?

Edit: I can print it off myself and am now looking for somewhere I can just hand it to them and have it done lol.

Comments

• Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay! Congrats on finishing it, well done :)

MSE site has a few ideas:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=447077

eta: bummer, that thread's from 2007, sorry :blush:
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Hi!
    I've recently finished my dissertation (yay!) and now I have to get two copies ring or thermal bound to hand in. I've checked online, and there is one place online where I can see the pricing. I put in the specifications I need and they said it would cost £50:o to have two copies printed and bound.

Now i'm not able to afford that and it seems an absurd price. I was expecting something along the lines of £5 each. Has anyone got any experience of this, and what is the typical pricing?

Edit: I can print it off myself and am now looking for somewhere I can just hand it to them and have it done lol.
    Does it absolutely have to be ring or thermal bound? Or could you use something like these?

www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-clipbar-presentation-slidebinder-files/dp/B0013NDU78/
  • Options
    cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    University reprographics department? Got mine done there and it wasnt much!

Cant remember how much, it was 10 years ago mind!
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The university will do it. Im surprised that the information isnt in either the Library handbook or your dissertation handbook.
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Does it absolutely have to be ring or thermal bound? Or could you use something like these?

www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-clipbar-presentation-slidebinder-files/dp/B0013NDU78/

Nay, nay and thrice nay!

Don't use these clips for your dissertation. Follow the guide in your dissertation handbook. Remember if you get a first it will end up in the university library so you want it to be sturdy and not fall to pieces when handled.
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    From memory (15 years ago:blush:) I paid about £10 per copy for a soft cover thermal binding (University requirement). If you live in a University town, lots of print shops will be able to do a soft cover binding while you wait, although as you get close to a deadline day expect very long queues, or as cpikey suggests, University print shops will often do them.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cpikey316_ wrote: »
    University reprographics department? Got mine done there and it wasnt much!

Cant remember how much, it was 10 years ago mind!

Same here, uni repro shop bound mine for twenty quid. OP, you'll never get it done for a fiver...
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a Staples or some other large stationery store around? They're usually quite cheap, not £5 cheap, but cheap.

£50 for what type of binding, exactly? I paid, I think, £68 for next day hardcover binding last year. That was really nice binding in buckram cloth. I used Collis Bird & Withey - they're fantastic.

I can't imagine £50 for ring or thermal binding! Are you sure? That screams rip off to me.

How many pages is it? Do you have a specified paper weight etc? Whatever you do, ensure it complies with your University's requirements.

If there are any independent stationers in your area, call them and inquire how much binding only costs. Ultimately, I still recommend a bigger store like Staples or Rymans if you're looking for best price.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work for Office World (before they were taken over by Staples) and we offered the ring binding and had a lot of students getting dissertations bound.

I have no idea of prices now though. There are also some places that will print & bind the dissertation if you provide it on memory stick.
  • Options
    WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Mine was £2 per copy at the university library. Seriously, don't pay more than that there's no need.
    Have a look in your course handbook, ask your personal tutor or look at the dissertation module handbook.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Got it done today, £3 in a sandwich shop :p It looks awesome if I do say so myself I haven't put it down since :D

Thanks everyone for your help. :)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Got it done today, £3 in a sandwich shop

I've now got a vision of a dissertation bound with two slices of ham! :D

So how did you come to find a sandwich shop that does it?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    I used to work for Office World (before they were taken over by Staples) and we offered the ring binding and had a lot of students getting dissertations bound.

I have no idea of prices now though. There are also some places that will print & bind the dissertation if you provide it on memory stick.

Staples is a good idea - there's a big one of those near here.

But the OP has had it done already - so all is good.

Had their dissertation turned into a baguette.
  • Options
    5432154321 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Congratulations! What a relief it must be to have it all finished. What the topic area?