The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 55)

Comments

• yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,194
    Forum Member
    Listening to Radio 2 this morning just confirms how deeply rooted Wogan's bigoted opinions have become in this country. Some of the things being 'suggested' :mad: :mad: :(
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    Listening to Radio 2 this morning just confirms how deeply rooted Wogan's bigoted opinions have become in this country. Some of the things being 'suggested' :mad: :mad: :(

Ken Bruce show I guess? Care to elaborate?
  • youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanna is filming the video for Undo today :)

Is Undo a Schlager song? No, not really, Schlager songs are meant to be lighter than this.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    haha, I have nothing against Finland. It's just a dreadful song (that has aged terribly!). And let's be honest, it didn't win because it was the best song in the contest - it won because of a huge campaign to get people to vote for the song - particularly by people who liked that kind of music. I wasn't a Eurovision fan then (I'd perhaps watch it if I saw it advertised, but that's about it!) and even I remember the huge online movements to get people to vote for it.

If jury voting was introduced then, the song wouldn't of won.
    As I've said, juries have been known to destroy some great songs, so it's good it wasn't introduced then :cool:
    (And as an aside, we would very, very likely have withdrawn from ESC long ago if Lordi hadn't won. Whether one considers that a good or bad thing is of course up to the individual ;))

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinion - you consider it dreadful, many don't. Actually, most people don't, considering it won with the biggest amount of votes until then :D (A record broken by Norway 2009, but that's another thing.) And yes, there was a campaign, but rock/metal fans alone would never have achieved such a huge amount or votes; most who voted were ordinary people who loved it, the brashness, the guts and all.
    Lordi winning has actually been called a similar "revolution" in ESC to Abba wining in their time.

And as for aging, to me it still sounds as good as at the time :cool: I will never forget the feeling it gave me then... And it was because of Lordi's victory that I actually became a Eurovision fan; before that I was just like you said, I'd maybe watch it if I saw it advertised, but that's it.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    Why do 2 of the most recent comments on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqYbibLh8k say Molly has dropped out and 'bradtheladlong' is going to take her place?

Just some sort of joke I am not privy too I guess

Ugh, he's so annoying. He thinks he's a famous 'youtuber' when he only has a crappy camera and a few subscribers (all of which are his own fake accounts) and he used his multiple fake accounts to pretend he was going in Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother, I'm a Celeb etc. just ignore anything to do with him in future. He's a well known reality TV troll
    Forum Member
    Well, Michael Ball sitting in. You know the kind of thing 'it's all politics, they should make them sing in the dark, without country names' 'kick the Eastern Europeans out' 'invade all the other countries, like Russia'. Nobody yet saying that we've already made the most important step this year, actually sending a decent song, not sung by a has-been, just all the usual suspects. I did quite like one idea, to make it a full contact event, like it's a knockout, among the contestants. Something for the Wednesday or Friday of Euroweek maybe? :p
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brad actually isn't a terrible singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu0MPgBLG-I&list=UUOwGJtZ96iLkWeccAFbtsrw

He's essentially a troll trying to replicate the success of YouTubers like MirandaSings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    Well, Michael Ball sitting in. You know the kind of thing 'it's all politics, they should make them sing in the dark, without country names' 'kick the Eastern Europeans out' 'invade all the other countries, like Russia'. Nobody yet saying that we've already made the most important step this year, actually sending a decent song, not sung by a has-been, just all the usual suspects. I did quite like one idea, to make it a full contact event, like it's a knockout, among the contestants. Something for the Wednesday or Friday of Euroweek maybe? :p

Are those comments from people sending in messages or Michael himself?

I wonder what Nigel Farage's thoughts on Eurovision are...
    Forum Member
    People sending in messages. Nobody directly said 'kick the Eastern Europeans out' but the general gist of some of the comments. We've got a long way to go, but a 2014 win would help change views :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To merge the two threads above. I wouldn't have become a Eurovision nut in my 30's without my Finnish wife's passion for it, and Lordi's victory is a great part of that! (I also agree that there's no way that an online petition/movement could sufficiently move a song to #1 without it also having vast appeal to the casual audience).

Secondly, my argument when converting my friends back to the wonder of Eurovision is that yes, of course it's all political, for a given value of political. People grow up in different parts of our continent listening to different music and developing different tastes. The best thing about Eurovision is that these tastes get shared with us all and it can hardly be a surprise that music that is culturally resonant with an area should go down well with other countries in that area!

My personal bug-bear (and this may not be rational) is a country "hiring in" composers from a different music scene in order to appear more "worldly". (Yes, Running Scared, I'm looking at you)
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I love Finland 2006 and Russia 2008, and Azerbaijan 2011 gets better with every listen. I guess I'm in the minority? :D
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Ball just needs to crawl into the everlasting vortex of obscurity, the world would be a much less cringe-worthy place without him.
  • WilkimaniaWilkimania Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Well I love Finland 2006 and Russia 2008, and Azerbaijan 2011 gets better with every listen. I guess I'm in the minority? :D
    I'll agree with you on Finland and Azerbaijan but Russia is a bridge too far for me.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a563329/abba-eurovision-stigma-is-difficult-to-get-rid-of.html#~oAWpFDYik8rWlc

I think there's only a stigma because radio and the media still have a backwards attitude to the contest.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a563329/abba-eurovision-stigma-is-difficult-to-get-rid-of.html#~oAWpFDYik8rWlc

I think there's only a stigma because radio and the media still have a backwards attitude to the contest.

On a lighter note, how do I unsee that image?
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a lighter note, how do I unsee that image?

:D Surprised they actually got away with such a picture in the 70's looks like they just had an orgy on spaceship
  • JonahTakaluaJonahTakalua Posts: 2,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Hard Rock Hallelujah' is one of the best winners of the past 10 years in my opinion! It's essentially a great pop song in rock clothing!! If we are talking about worst winners in the past 10 years then Dima Bilan and the two Azerbaijani schmucks can step right forward!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could have given us a Nearly-Naked-ABBA warning! :eek:
    :D Surprised they actually got away with such a picture in the 70's looks like they just had an orgy on spaceship
    :D:D:D:D:D

I hate to ask, but...
    Were they swingers? :blush:
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I love Hard Rock Hallelujah, I can certainly see why it won.

I'm not sure a rock song could do it again, though, at least not one without major pop sensibilities.

I just checked Wiki and Finland hadn't been in a final since 2002 (when they entered the criminally underrated Addicted To You) so it's even more astonishing they managed to win with such a margin.
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could have given us a Nearly-Naked-ABBA warning! :eek:

I hate to ask, but...
    Were they swingers? :blush:

In the words of the NTNON team.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aXFwIgIzaU

They're Swedish.......so:p........plus, if you've ever heard their song "Two For The Price Of One", well.........:blush::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilkimania wrote: »
    I'll agree with you on Finland and Azerbaijan but Russia is a bridge too far for me.
    No, it's brilliant! Maybe not as good as Dima's 2006 song, but still fab. :D
    I love Hard Rock Hallelujah, I can certainly see why it won.

I'm not sure a rock song could do it again, though, at least not one without major pop sensibilities.

I just checked Wiki and Finland hadn't been in a final since 2002 (when they entered the criminally underrated Addicted To You) so it's even more astonishing they managed to win with such a margin.
    I think the image played a huge part in it too. If I ask my (non ESC fan) family about Finland's winning song, they immediately say something like "Oh, the one with the monsters!?" Lordi became a bit of a household name for a short while after that, and even if the song wasn't memorable to some their image was so striking that it couldn't help but stay with viewers throughout the show.
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Rui Andrade is getting his wish of appearing at ESC after all.....he's reportedly off to Copenhagen as a backing singer for the Midwich Cuckoo's of Russia. Oddly enough, I can't seem to hear any male vocals on the song.:confused:
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,273
    Forum Member

Finland yes. :D
    Russia no! >:(
    Azerbaijan yes. :blush:
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Looks like Rui Andrade is getting his wish of appearing at ESC after all.....he's reportedly off to Copenhagen as a backing singer for the Midwich Cuckoo's of Russia. Oddly enough, I can't seem to hear any male vocals on the song.:confused:

:D

There is something of the night about them. Behind those toothy smiles, they want to eat your soul.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Finland yes. :D
    Russia no! >:(
    Azerbaijan yes. :blush:

*slap x 3*

Finland NO!
    Russia yes<3
    Azerbaijan NO!
This discussion has been closed.