Athletics 2014

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Thinking about tickets to the Paris diamond league. Oh my goodness. Ticket prices = great. Hotels and transfers for ONE night = horrific.

Can't be that expensive, surely. Stay in a hotel at the airport, not central Paris and take the train from the airport to the Stadium, it is only 3-4 stops.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be that expensive, surely. Stay in a hotel at the airport, not central Paris and take the train from the airport to the Stadium, it is only 3-4 stops.

i would, but the diamond league finishes at nearly 10 and the last train back to london is at like 8:50 would you believe! meaning i have to stay overnight after the diamond league.

i'm not talking about the night before! i'd arrive on saturday morning, and then have to leave sometime on sunday. so staying in central paris would work out better as i'd be spending part of the day there. if only i could arrive on saturday and leave on saturday night...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This news coming out right now about Rudisha retiring... Please no... :confused::cry:
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This news coming out right now about Rudisha retiring... Please no... :confused::cry:

Seems to be an early April Fools joke according to Simon Hart of the Telegraph - and he's usually very reliable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another note, Javon Francis broke Bolt's high school champs record over the weekend. 45.00 seconds.

http://youtu.be/DnZZ8aS9N1U

Stunning, and funny to watch because at the end he does push-ups (Usain did this after winning the 200 in London 2012) and then kneels and holds his arms out with his head back (Yohan Blake did this after winning the 100 in Daegu). This boy is quite a little beast. His anchor leg on the 4x400m in Moscow was so fearless.

Kirani James vs Javon Francis at the commonwealths, anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurosport has the Paris marathon on Sunday, 07:30 if you want to see the whole thing. And BT Sport now has the World Triathlon series, first races from Auckland New Zealand early on Sunday morning.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On another note, Javon Francis broke Bolt's high school champs record over the weekend. 45.00 seconds.

His running style reminds me of Michael Johnson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee McConnell has announced her retirement - she had given birth last year and obviously has not been able to take up the reins again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/26865041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up at a reasonable hour to watch the Paris Marathon - Keninisa Bekele is handing everyone else a bit of a thrashing on his debut, good to see after his poor form these last few years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Bekele wins it easily, 2:05:02, a course record.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impressive debut from Bekele. I suspect we are more likely to see him doing the Marathon in Rio rather than on the track.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some impressive early season results by some of the young British sprinters in the US. Desiree Henry ran 11.23 (2nd only to Jodie Williams on the British Junior rankings) and Jodie herself ran 11.30 & 22.91 for the 200. Hopefully Jodie will start to fulfill some of the potential she showed as a junior this year.

Will be interesting to see if the likes of Desiree compete in Glasgow if selected or opt for the World Juniors.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Good to see our young female sprinters doing well. Jodie only now seems to be recovering from her ill advised attempt to quality for the Olympics when clearly injured.

But I see we have a new male sprint prodigy. Zharnel Hughes - 10.12 at 18. Broke Yohan Blake's Jamaican schools record. Well Zharnel is Anguillan really but it looks like we're claiming him!! :D Suddenly British sprinting is getting back to the days when we had a number of guys who could make global finals.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/26834645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asafa Powell/Sherone Simpson..?
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zharnel Hughes looks like a promising GB star for the future, hopefully he'll follow in the footsteps of Shara Proctor and choose GB as the country he wants to represent since Anguilla can't compete in the Olympics.

In other news, Seb Coe has stated that he wants to become the new president of the IAAF in 2015 when the current one steps down.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zharnel Hughes looks like a promising GB star for the future, hopefully he'll follow in the footsteps of Shara Proctor and choose GB as the country he wants to represent since Anguilla can't compete in the Olympics.

In other news, Seb Coe has stated that he wants to become the new president of the IAAF in 2015 when the current one steps down.

A lot of people seemed to be cycnical that Coe's organisation of the Olympics was just part of his grand plan to get this position. Me, I think he is clearly an ambitious man - it's what got him double gold and silver after all - but his effort for 2012 was sincere and he'd be the right man for the president's job.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The IAAF Council is currently in Dakar. Unsurprisingly, Lamine Diack announced he will step down as President once his current term ends in August 2015. Until then, he will oversee the next two Council meetings in Monaco and Beijing; the latter is courtesy of the 15th World Championships in Athletics, which takes place between 22 and 30 August 2015.

Speaking of the 2015 WCiA, the IAAF have published the full 17-session timetable, though it is subject to minor alterations if required (xlsx format).

Among other things, as upcoming host of the 2016 World Half Marathon Championships, Cardiff will have its day in the spotlight on 26 March, which lies within the corresponding Easter weekend.

URL="http://www.iaaf.org/news/iaaf-news/iaaf-council-meeting-dakar-14-april"]Full press release[/URL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barcelona (Spain), Doha (Qatar) and Eugene (USA) have formally declared their intent to bid for the 2019 WCiA.

URL="http://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/barcelona-doha-eugene-2019-iaaf-world-champio"]Full press release[/URL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barcelona (Spain), Doha (Qatar) and Eugene (USA) have formally declared their intent to bid for the 2019 WCiA.

URL="http://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/barcelona-doha-eugene-2019-iaaf-world-champio"]Full press release[/URL

Should go to barca really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently awarded WC editions have alternated between Europe and Asia, so Barcelona probably have it all to do against cash-rich Doha. One of the factors in London's winning bid for 2017 (other than spectator numbers of course ;)) was that it meant another change in host continent.

The Eugene bid is interesting - as things stand, it does not meet all the general requirements of a WC host (30,000+ capacity arena, international airport within/near the city, etc). On the other hand, Oregon is arguably the centre of American athletics (Eugene in particular), and the IAAF would like to bring their jewel in the crown to the United States, which hosted two Summer Olympics in the past 30 years, but no WC.

Their bid will be influenced by their handling of the 15th World Junior Championships, taking place between 22 and 27 July. After that, Portland (also in Oregon) will host the 2016 World Indoor Championships (though the 2019 WC host will be known well before then).

---

On another note, the IAAF Council has concluded its business in Dakar and will reconvene in Eugene late this year (more meetings in the next two years than I thought then). They elected Kazan as the host of the 2016 WJC.

URL="http://www.iaaf.org/news/iaaf-news/iaaf-council-meeting-dakar-15-april"]Full press release[/URL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind it going to Eugene if they can expand the stadium. I wasn't impressed with the crowds in Barcelona for the Europeans in 2010 & surely it will be far too hot in Doha during August when the champs are usually held.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Athletics will be awesome for Great Britain in 2017 & 2018 because we host back-to-back major championships. First we host the World Championships in 2017 in London around August time and then in 2018 we host the Indoor World Championships in Birmingham!.

Hope the GB teams are filled up to the max regardless of A standards or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some more promising runs by Jodie Williams overnight in the US - 11.20 for 100m (just short of her 11.18 PB) and a new 200 PB of 23.76.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Some more promising runs by Jodie Williams overnight in the US - 11.20 for 100m (just short of her 11.18 PB) and a new 200 PB of 23.76.

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone follow the CARIFTA games? The young Jamaican, kimone shaw (13 years old) won the under 18 girls 100m in 11.42. The wind was illegal (+3.3) but the daylight between her and other competitors who could be 17, 16, heck even 15 is insane: http://youtu.be/vDbcRq6JH0s she has the confidence to go with her talent too.

This is her last year at champs when she was 12: http://youtu.be/It1ADpFwqoA

Can't wait to see what she can accomplish. Just hope she doesn't get burnt out.