Options

John Fashanu is a Disgrace!

Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
Forum Member
Watch 'gay footballers' tonight at 9 on BBC3.
It leaves you in no doubt as to Why his Brother killed himself.
What a vile human being.

Comments

• Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    It was well publicised at the time, what happened, which is why Ive always been surprised he has remained popular - didnt he come runner up in Im a celeb a few years back? I cant forget the way he behaved.. its awful what happened to his brother.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    Watch 'gay footballers' tonight at 9 on BBC3.
    It leaves you in no doubt as to Why his Brother killed himself.
    What a vile human being.

Oh dear.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i remember his brother taking his own life, cant remember the circumcises though
  • Options
    Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was part of a sport which didn't accept his sexuality and his religion didn't accept it either. Poor bloke just seems to have been tortured by society in general.

http://www.petertatchell.net/sport/justin_fashanu.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we talking about John or Justin here...
  • Options
    Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Are we talking about John or Justin here...

john fashanu, justins brother.
    awful man.
  • Options
    Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the way he treated his brother is beyond contempt.
    and he still doesnt seem particularly sorry.
    tosspot
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was actually quite shocked when I found out what John did. I was fully aware of Justin and the fact that he'd killed himself but I honestly didn't know until recently that John disowned him.

Saying he wouldn't feel comfortable getting undressed in front of a gay man is, in a way, massively self centered and arrogant. Not to mention, of course, horribly homophobic. It's a neanderthal attitude that apparently assumes that gay men just have to look at any other man to become aroused and to want to have sex with them.
  • Options
    xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I never knew John felt that way!! How did he get so far on Im a celeb.
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just watching this.

When he started to talk his daughter in that patronising tone and calling Justin selfish...it seems like he hasn't made his peace with what happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a thoroughly nasty person

On the morning that news of his suicide broke, an interview was published giving John’s reaction to the assault claims. John had said: ‘I just pray the accusations are not true, but we lost contact years ago and, anyway, I’m past caring. I’ve washed my hands of him.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089982/John-Fashanu-disapproved-disowned-brother-Justins-gay-lifestyle.html#ixzz1kyxsapTf
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: And there was me all this time feeling sorry for him that he had lost his brother.

I had no idea.
  • Options
    Hungry Hippo!Hungry Hippo! Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised how well and reasonable Joey Barton came across.
  • Options
    alittlebirdyalittlebirdy Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    i remember his brother taking his own life, cant remember the circumcises though

On the morning of 3 May 1998, he was found hanged in a deserted lock-up garage he had broken into, in Shoreditch, London, after visiting Chariots Roman Spa, a local gay sauna.[13][14] In his suicide note, he stated: "I realised that I had already been presumed guilty. I do not want to give any more embarrassment to my friends and family."[13] An inquest in London, held on 9 September 1998, heard that there was in fact no warrant out for Fashanu's arrest and that the American police had already dropped the investigation due to a lack of evidence

Source..Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Fashanu
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might watch it later. Not a fan of John, from the feedback on this forum, he hasn't forgiven or accepted the way he treated his brother was out of order. Fancy having him front a programme about gay footballers coming out I'd run a mile..!!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised how well and reasonable Joey Barton came across.

Good on Joey Barton for speaking out for homosexuals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    What people have to realise is that back in those days there was still a whole lot of ignorance and unacceptance surrounding homosexuality, when it was a shock to find our that a member of your family was gay, not just in minority communities but in the nation as a whole. I remember the death of Justin and how sad it was; I just wish he'd had the strength to stay with us and challenge the homophobia but, as I said, it was back then when there was so much ignorance about.

Don't be too quick to be judgemental on the subject unless you've been through it and have come out the other end educated.

I havent seen the programme, but I am going to reserve judgement on John until I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might watch it later. Not a fan of John, from the feedback on this forum, he hasn't forgiven or accepted the way he treated his brother was out of order. Fancy having him front a programme about gay footballers coming out I'd run a mile..!!

If true, then no, he shouldn't have hosted the documentary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he didn't host the documentary his daughter did she didn't know at the start how her father treated justin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    he didn't host the documentary his daughter did she didn't know at the start how her father treated justin

Thanks for that, should of read the whole article on wiki it states she's hosting it and that she was very proud of Justin, and thinks her dad now regrets the harsh way he responded..

In 2012, his niece, Amal Fashanu stated, "I'm proud Justin was my uncle and that he was brave enough to say what he did. I think my dad now regrets the harsh way he responded. The game needs more people like my uncle if homophobic barriers are to be removed."[5] She will present the BBC Three documentary Britain's Gay Footballers.[5]

"I'm not homophobic and I never had been, but at the time I was certainly cross with my brother. I sleep at night wondering all the time, could I have done more and I keep coming up with the answer, yes I could have done more. Does that console me? No. We've cried for nearly two decades for Justin, it's enough."
    —John Fashanu (father of Amal) regrets some of the comments he made when his brother first came out.[17]

Source..Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Fashanu#Allegation_and_suicide
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, so that poster wasn't actually saying John hosted the show. I thought that's what they meant.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats probably just as well :D#

Haven't watched the programme myself yet but have recorded it and am very much looking forward to seeing it from what I have heard so far.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the impression that John was devastated with what had happened with his brother, but still hadn't resolved his own behaviour, or that of his brother. The antagonism between them seemed to run much deeper than his sexuality, and Justin's problems seemed to go beyond the fact he was gay.

He admitted to selling stories to the papers, which is tacky whatever your sexuality, but you have to wonder if some his behaviour was deliberately antagonistic as a means of dealing with rejection, by giving his family a different reason to push him away.

It's all very sad. Both brothers had to deal with being rejected by their parents, and the racism in football. Justin had to deal with a waning career, while John had to deal with being the less talented brother.

It seems that it was the accusation of sexual assault that pushed him over the edge. Louis Walsh said he briefly felt suicidal when he was accused of sexual assault recently, and that was despite having a lot of high profile friends rushing to his defence.

I am surprised that John agreed to take part in the programme without being prepared to go on the record to completely support his brother, but it does reflect the reality of the situation. They said he is living in Nigeria these days, and that is still a very homophobic country, so maybe it shouldn't be surprising that he's not properly confronted his actions.

As for the show itself, I think it needs to have a senior player who is at a similar stage of their career to Gareth Thomas to come out to confront the prejudices. The big difference between football and rugby is money, and as Max Clifford said, the agents are worried it could impact on sponsorship income.
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't say I remember anything about circumcision either :eek::confused:.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone want to sum up what was said in the program?