Father Brown BBC1 weekdays 2.10pm

Comments

• Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    It's all to do with BBC payment rates, which are much less for dramas scheduled for pre-6pm broadcast. Very annoying for actors and production staff alike, but I suppose at least their work is being made and broadcast, even if it means exploitation!

Ah well that's certainly the very explanation; and, yes, it sucks, as you say.
  • molindinermolindiner Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    "She'll be hung!"..........tut, tut Father, surely a priest in the 50's would know that beef is hung, people are hanged!
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    Mark Williams is totally miscast.

I'm enjoying this series so much I've spent most of the day catching up :o I watched the first five episodes back to back :o

I like Mark Williams in it.
    An example for me is Jason Isaacs as Jackson Brodie in the adaptation of Kate Atkinson's books . When i first saw him, I thought he was nothing like Jackson Brodie. After the first episode I couldn't imagine Brodie any other way.

I've only recently discovered these books and love them! I haven't seen any of the programmes though. Do you know what channel they were on and when?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »

I've only recently discovered these books and love them! I haven't seen any of the programmes though. Do you know what channel they were on and when?

The series was called Case Histories, though they used all the existing books for the stories, and it was on BBC. Can't remember if it was BBC1 or 2.

It was the year before last - in the summer sometime, I think.

Sorry to be vague!

I loved the first 3 books, but couldn't get into the last one (Started Early, Took My Dog) at all. Jackson seemed to have had a total personality change!
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,020
    Forum Member
    Last one today :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I have been enjoying this, but I have the same gripe with it as with most period dramas - men wearing hats. Yes of course they wore them, but they took them off when in someone's house and certainly in a church. That police inspector wearing his jammed down flat all the time is really getting on my nerves.
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    That was rather good, definitely one for a series link....baffling that this is broadcast on a weekday afternoon when Saturday evenings on BBC1 are currently looking so palid...
    I too was very angry to see that this was only on during the day - I've only managed to catch the last two! :mad: The BBC must be deranged - what a waste! They've clearly spent quite a lot of money on it, and it has a good cast. It wasn't even advertised as far as I could see - they've missed a trick here! Let's hope it gets repeated later on. :(
    Forum Member
    I too was very angry to see that this was only on during the day - I've only managed to catch the last two! :mad: The BBC must be deranged - what a waste! They've clearly spent quite a lot of money on it, and it has a good cast. It wasn't even advertised as far as I could see - they've missed a trick here! Let's hope it gets repeated later on. :(

It's available on iplayer until 1st February.

I noticed a blue policebox in the village today - I was half expecting The Doctor to come out and reveal that the thief was an alien and had to be stopped before the planet was destroyed! :D
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I noticed a blue policebox in the village today - I was half expecting The Doctor to come out and reveal that the thief was an alien and had to be stopped before the planet was destroyed! :D
    I've loved this series and downloaded them all from iPlayer as Seejay says they'll be there until February 1st so get a move on.

I've read that series 2 has been commissioned! :D
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »

Excellent news. I've had a couple of days of Father Brown saturation, and I'm going to miss it.

I hope there's going to be another series of The Indian Doctor too.
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved this series and downloaded them all from iPlayer as Seejay says they'll be there until February 1st so get a move on.

I'm downloading even as we speak! :) I still hope they repeat it though.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oooh, i missed that, I'll have to rewatch:)

Very strong concluding episode i thought, wonder if they'll have Flambeau recur and develop as in the stories, and I like that they have kept the core of the Chesterton stories with the themes of doubt and faith rather than just making him The Crimefighter in a Cassock..
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yay!
    DICKENS99 wrote: »

Very strong concluding episode i thought, wonder if they'll have Flambeau recur and develop as in the stories, and I like that they have kept the core of the Chesterton stories with the themes of doubt and faith rather than just making him The Crimefighter in a Cassock..

I agree - it's what makes the programme stand out from the usual run-of-the-mill amateur sleuth stuff.

I hope Flambeau returns!
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great :D

I've got a few ep's to catch up on, but I've really enjoyed the ones I've watched. Mark Williams is fab.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never usually watch these sorts of things but I must say that I gave this a go and found myself surprised to get into it.
    I really enjoyed it.

I found it very different and although I thought that it would probably seem dated I found quite the opposite. In a way it felt fresh and contemporary. I can't put my finger on why, but it didn't seem as laboured and dull as I usually find shows like these. They did something right for it to appeal to me. I hate crime shows, especially of the leafy rural type, and usually change channel, but this was good.
    Mark Williams was great in the role too I thought.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    They pay the actors much less for programmes scheduled to be broadcast before 6pm. Infuriating for us, as there have been many good dramas recently in the BBC 2pm slot - but that's business for you. It shouldn't happen because the Beeb should not be pursuing viewing figures (which mean we end up with endless talent shows on prime time) but until someone raps them over the knuckles about it I'm afraid you'll have to look for dramas on the afternoon schedule.

Thanks. At least that goes some way to explain the ridiculous scheduling. Explains, but doesn't excuse.:mad:
    Olls~ wrote: »
    Great :D

I've got a few ep's to catch up on, but I've really enjoyed the ones I've watched. Mark Williams is fab.

Me too. I'm at work during the day so am catching up on these in the evenings and at weekends. Well, they're better than what's scheduled for so-called primetime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point about the time it's shown.
    It feels as though it's too good to be a daytime programme.

I don't mind as I watched it, but a lot of people will miss out on this gem of a programme.
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Thanks. At least that goes some way to explain the ridiculous scheduling. Explains, but doesn't excuse.:mad:

The BBC are trying to improve afternoon tv. There are plenty of people who are home all day who don't want to watch endless antiques/house buying and developing programmes, so they are deliberately putting on decent dramas for them.
    Forum Member
    The BBC are trying to improve afternoon tv. There are plenty of people who are home all day who don't want to watch endless antiques/house buying and developing programmes, so they are deliberately putting on decent dramas for them.

Yes, there are definitely plenty of people who are at home. From housewives and the unemployed to the retired and workers who do shift work, so there's potentially a sizeable audience. Why should all the decent stuff be on in the evening? Some of us have to be up early for work and miss some good shows at night! I'm up for work at 4.30am and I'm home by 12.30pm so I was lucky to have caught this delightful series :) I'm really glad a second series has been commissioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see DVD or Blu-Ray sales for this doing well as good word of mouth is going to recommend it to people who never saw it and will see it for the first time.

I think it's commendable of the BBC if they are trying to improve the quality of their daytime schedule. They've promised to do this many times before but nothing ever came of it. Now it appears as though they're delivering this time around.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, there are definitely plenty of people who are at home. From housewives and the unemployed to the retired and workers who do shift work, so there's potentially a sizeable audience. Why should all the decent stuff be on in the evening? Some of us have to be up early for work and miss some good shows at night! I'm up for work at 4.30am and I'm home by 12.30pm so I was lucky to have caught this delightful series :) I'm really glad a second series has been commissioned.

What are these good shows and decent stuff? The One Show? Eastenders? Holby City? Countryfile? Waterloo Road? Casualty?

Suburban coffee morning gossip and soaps. Clearly if I want to watch decent drama on TV I shall have to take early retirement.
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    What are these good shows and decent stuff? The One Show? Eastenders? Holby City? Countryfile? Waterloo Road? Casualty?

Suburban coffee morning gossip and soaps. Clearly if I want to watch decent drama on TV I shall have to take early retirement.

Calm down mate! Did I say why should all the good stuff be on 'BBC1' in the evening? Or that I miss some good shows on 'BBC1 at night? No I didn't. I'm talking about tv on channels in general, not necessarily BBC1. And things shown after 9/10pm. This was just one show on in the afternoon which happened to be on BBC1 which was worth watching. Get off your high horse!
    Forum Member
    We started getting a lot of dross on tv when we got more channels and 24/7 tv. TV companies can't afford to make so much good tv, so what there is has to be interspersed with the dross 'reality' and 'celebrity' programmes.
    Forum Member
    We started getting a lot of dross on tv when we got more channels and 24/7 tv. TV companies can't afford to make so much good tv, so what there is has to be interspersed with the dross 'reality' and 'celebrity' programmes.

Yes there are so many channels to choose from, but Father Brown seemed to be the only decent programme on at that time during the day!
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    I missed Father Brown today:o

I hope it comes back soon and keeps an afternoon slot:D:D