Options

Inside Death Row with Trevor McDonald

Comments

• Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think after the airing of that documentary, Sanford will be getting quite a lot of letters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I found this quite interesting... Then again psychotic ******* really do it for me.

Anyone know what that song was over the end credits?
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this quite interesting... Then again psychotic ******* really do it for me.

Best thing would be to Shazam it on catch up
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Was it the 70's when Barry George was wrongly convicted of murdering Jill Dando?
    There are others.

Jill Dando was murdered in April 1999 not in the seventies easy enough to look it up.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they ever touch on the Death Row last meal thing? Only caught bits of the first ep when it was on. The second was definitely better though, much more intense.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scuby wrote: »
    Jill Dando was murdered in April 1999 not in the seventies easy enough to look it up.
    Think you misunderstood his post
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Did they ever touch on the Death Row last meal thing? Only caught bits of the first ep when it was on. The second was definitely better though, much more intense.
    Sadly no
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maltshovel wrote: »
    Has the US put any women prisoners to death?

Aileen Wournos was executed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I think after the airing of that documentary, Sanford will be getting quite a lot of letters.

Off who?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TR252 wrote: »
    I feel really sorry for the cats that are locked in the cells. Surely somebody should take them to give them some space and exercise?

Yes I'm not sure this is good for the cats; also something which worries me is if a couple of prisoners have an argument, then one might kill the other's cat to get revenge.:eek:
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aileen Wournos was executed.

I've always felt sorry for Aileen. She never stood a chance in life from the minute she was conceived.
    I've always, also wanted to know what happened to Tyler, I'd love to hear what she has got to say these days, she stitched Aileen up good and proper to save her own skin..
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maltshovel wrote: »
    Has the US put any women prisoners to death?

There is currently a woman on death row called Debra Denise Brown. She and a guy called Alton Coleman went on a killing spree back in the 80s. Coleman was executed in 2002.

I've also just checked on how many women have been executed since 1976, when the Supreme Court lifted the ban on capital punishment, 12 in total ...

Velma Barfield, 52, November 2nd 1984, North Carolina
    Karla Faye Tucker, 38, February 3rd 1998, Texas
    Judy Buenoano, 54, March 30th 1998, Florida
    Betty Lou Beets, 62, February 24th 2000, Texas
    Christina Marie Riggs, 28, May 2nd 2000, Arkansas
    Wanda Jean Allen, 41, January 11th 2001, Oklahoma
    Marilyn Kay Plantz, 40, May 1st 2001, Oklahoma
    Lois Nadean Smith, 61, December 4th 2001, Oklahoma
    Lynda Lyon Block, 54, May 10th 2002, Alabama
    Aileen Wuornos, 46, October 9th 2002, Florida
    Frances Newton, 40, September 14th 2005, Texas
    Teresa Lewis, 41, September 23rd 2010, Virginia

1258 executions performed in the United States since 1976 - 0.9% were women.

From 1903 - 1962, 39 women were executed.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was Walk Away by Tom Waits
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm not sure this is good for the cats; also something which worries me is if a couple of prisoners have an argument, then one might kill the other's cat to get revenge.:eek:

I found this article - makes for a good read. I assume if any harm came to a cat then the prisoner would be in big trouble with the guards and fellow prisoners. In other words - a big no no.

I also noticed the following from this blog ...
    I asked if Major Cabanaw had concerns for the safety of the cats. “Of course, we always want to ensure the safety of the cats, and the staff is great about keeping an eye out for them. But mostly, it’s the offenders keeping them safe. I have never once seen an offender kill his own cat. We screen them to be sure they have no history of animal abuse. But I’ll tell you this, there was a guy killed in here because he had spit soda pop onto someone else’s cat.”

Kris St. Martin, a corrections officer, tells me, “There was a guy here whose cat was killed a couple of years ago. The guys on the floor put out a contract on that cat killer. No one was ever able to figure out who had done it, but if they had, well, as I said, there was a contract on him…Mostly these guys are really protective of the cats and they all benefit from their presence. A cat will visit with the offenders in their neighboring cells, and it means a lot to all of them. Occasionally, we get someone who has issues with cats, so we move them out to another building.”
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »

Thanks, dude
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed but fair play to him stepping up at the end and telling that man what he thought of his crimes!! I was waiting for him to get a clump.

Baer (?) is a disgusting human being. I swear he was smirking at times. Usually id put this down to nerves but after seeing his police tapes hes just a lying, raping murderer.

He didn't actually commit rape did he?

I don't think he was smirking as he acknowledged the crime he did was atrocious. Smirking would be a sign of no shame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    The justice system in the UK is a joke. If it were up to me, the death penalty would be reinstated. Some people in this thread creep me out with their responses in support of murderers, with some finishing off their comment with smiley faces. It shakes me to the core.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenkins123 wrote: »
    The justice system in the UK is a joke. If it were up to me, the death penalty would be reinstated. Some people in this thread creep me out with their responses in support of murderers, with some finishing off their comment with smiley faces. It shakes me to the core.

I agree the british justice system is a joke. If it wasn't for the possible miscarriage of justice then id be in favour of the death penalty being reinstated. You could argue that the death penalty an easy way out for criminals, but it means they can never inflict pain or terror on anyone again which IMO overrides that downside.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great documentary. Trevor was perfect for it. Very eery programme.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still amazed reason the first few pages of the thread. 13 is old enough to know that murder is wrong!

IMO murder is murder, no matter what age you are, no matter what age your victim was. They may be clever, they may seem to show to show remorse, but they took another's life and for that they don't deserve their life. I found myself saying 'You should have thought of that before you killed someone' every time a prisoner was moaning.

If you were amazed at that, you should read some people opinions on pieces of scum like Jon Venables. Some people on here actually believe that him & Thompson should be able to live their live freely after serving time for killing toddler Jamie Bulger.

Imho every murderer should be given a life sentence, in the sense that they get a long enough sentence, so that they leave prison in a box. I'm just thankful that the likes of Ian Huntley will probably never get out, but is just a shame that the lame justice system has given so many lenient sentences in the past, to the likes of Baby P's killers & that nut job Tracie Andrews who should had been sectioned for life for that mental attack on her boyfriend.

Rehab my ar*e, if they kill once you can bet that they may reoffend in some form or other. Murderers should never be released if 100% guilty.
  • Options
    SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Hindley and Brady. Cost of keeping them both in prison over the years? Thousands and thousands of £££££'s. Maybe millions.
    Two injections would have cost a fiver each. A piece of rope would have been even cheaper.
    Even that would have been too good for them.
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only person who i "liked" was Sanford. He knew what he did was wrong and is happy to pay the price for it. Just because he seems nice does not mean he deserves to be free and like he said, he'll die in prison.

I also felt the death row inmate who trevor was talking to was strange but again, understand of what he did and how he deserves to die for it.

They didn't need to go back to the barber shop in Ep2, such a waste of air time imo.

Great show, not enough time and far from enough question and not enough of Sanford.
  • Options
    PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    He didn't actually commit rape did he?

I don't think he was smirking as he acknowledged the crime he did was atrocious. Smirking would be a sign of no shame.

He did not commit rape on this occasion but had on 2 previous occasions
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off who?

Trevor McDonald was on BBC Breakfast and he said he had kept in touch with Stanford and sends him books.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    One thing that puzzled me, was that the program implied that a large number of the inmates were guitly of murder, but there only seemed to be about a dozen or so on death row.

In states which have the death penalty what determines whether a convicted murderer receives the death penalty rather than life imprisonment?

The guy who killed the mother and daughter had obviously done something particularly evil but it implied that the other death row inmates hadn't commmitted murders quite as bad. But presumably they were still worse than the other murderers who "only" got life in jail?
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scuby wrote: »

Sorry you missed my point,it was a rhetorical question in reply to previous poster.:rolleyes: