Options

State of Play Drama Channel Weds 9th Oct 9pm

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
Forum Member
I've heard great things about this series but I've never seen it before. It's being repeated starting next Wednesday 9th October on Drama, if anybody's interested :)

Sky 166
Freeview 20
Virgin 190

Comments

• Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done ILW for spotting this one, must get the recorder box thingy on the case.

A touch off topic but I read that BBC4 has bought 2 more sub-titled dramas; a Swedish one called Never Wipe Tears without Gloves about HIV/AIDS in Stockholm in the 80s and Belgian police thriller Salamander. Not sure if these have been flagged up to the usual TK/Bridge/Borgen followers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Well done ILW for spotting this one, must get the recorder box thingy on the case.

A touch off topic but I read that BBC4 has bought 2 more sub-titled dramas; a Swedish one called Never Wipe Tears without Gloves about HIV/AIDS in Stockholm in the 80s and Belgian police thriller Salamander. Not sure if these have been flagged up to the usual TK/Bridge/Borgen followers.

Ooh well done yourself Suesuesue! I didn't know these were going to be on. As far as I know, I don't think the Euro crime DSers have mentioned it. You could flag it up on the Mentalbaldo thread and other Euro threads if you want to spread the word :)

So we're getting a Belgian drama then? BBC4 are really spreading the Eurodrama love :D Can't wait!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard great things about this series but I've never seen it before. It's being repeated starting next Wednesday 9th October on Drama, if anybody's interested :)

Sky 166
    Freeview 20
    Virgin 190

Enjoy it, it's much better than the film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Enjoy it, it's much better than the film.

Thanks :) I didn't know the film was an adaptation of the series, I thought it was something separate just with the same title! Not that I've seen that either.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this first time round and I'm enjoying it even more ( if that's possible!).

Thanks for this Paul Abbott. You are one brilliant man, fantastic cast too.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    I watched this first time round and I'm enjoying it even more ( if that's possible!).

Thanks for this Paul Abbott. You are one brilliant man, fantastic cast too.

Me too, I agree, much better than a few recent dramas.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's effing brilliant! Must be the best drama ever made.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it too - particularly like John Simm and Bill Nighy, but the whole cast is excellent. Can't help feeling a bit sorry for Dominic Foy so far. Didn't catch it first time around, just wish they could run it over consecutive nights instead of having tio wait a week for each episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it too - particularly like John Simm and Bill Nighy, but the whole cast is excellent. Can't help feeling a bit sorry for Dominic Foy so far. Didn't catch it first time around, just wish they could run it over consecutive nights instead of having tio wait a week for each episode.

It's only £4.25 on Amazon. Well worth adding to your collection. We've watched it a couple of times since the original broadcast which is the only reason I'm not watching it now.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    It's effing brilliant! Must be the best drama ever made.

Second best. The best was Edge of Darkness, surely? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Third best :p House of Cards was pretty damn good too :)

I haven't caught up with last night yet but I must say I'm really enjoying this! It's got great acting, great story and the tension is there, it does keep the suspense going. Shame next week is the last episode :(
  • Options
    StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I'd forgotten what a compelling series this is and that fact in itself makes it feel like I'm almost watching for the first time.:)I had expected it to be brutalised by ad breaks but it hasn't been so bad and 'State Of Play' has been well worth the time invested thanks to an extraordinary ensemble performance.

There's probably at least one exception but I'd say that this cast has done pretty well for itself career-wise since this excellent series first aired.

How Kelly MacDonald must wish that she had insisted on keeping her Scottish accent for the role of Margaret Schroder,opposite 'Nucky Thompson' in Boardwalk Empire,that faux Irish effort grates on me every time.:)

Still,an absolute gem hidden away on a Channel (VM Drama) I didn't even know I had and have since added 'Rumpole' to the series link.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Third best :p House of Cards was pretty damn good too :)

I haven't caught up with last night yet but I must say I'm really enjoying this! It's got great acting, great story and the tension is there, it does keep the suspense going. Shame next week is the last episode :(

Have you been checking out my DVD collection?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you been checking out my DVD collection?:D

Yes :p Some of us just have excellent taste, don't we? :D
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great, until the end. Like a lot of programmes and films. They resolve issues too tidily.
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    I'd forgotten what a compelling series this is and that fact in itself makes it feel like I'm almost watching for the first time.:)I had expected it to be brutalised by ad breaks but it hasn't been so bad and 'State Of Play' has been well worth the time invested thanks to an extraordinary ensemble performance.

There's probably at least one exception but I'd say that this cast has done pretty well for itself career-wise since this excellent series first aired.

How Kelly MacDonald must wish that she had insisted on keeping her Scottish accent for the role of Margaret Schroder,opposite 'Nucky Thompson' in Boardwalk Empire,that faux Irish effort grates on me every time.:)

Still,an absolute gem hidden away on a Channel (VM Drama) I didn't even know I had and have since added 'Rumpole' to the series link.:D

Oh, I've been a Drama watcher regularly since it came on air, and have seen some fantastic productions I'd never seen when they were originally broadcast, particularly the ITV ones like Mayor of Casterbridge - absolutely FANTASTIC! Again, an excellent ensemble cast. :cool:

I also enjoyed the recent repeat of Fingersmith that was better second time around. I think because I watched in isolation, devoid of hype and publicity, like when these series were originally broadcast.

But definitely State of Play is stonking good political drama, stunning writing, cast and gripping tension. I can't remember what happens at the end, so I'm looking forward to the final episode next Wednesday. :cool:

So many of these writers and actors are now working in America, it's a shame, and a great loss to British Television.
    But a reminder that yes, we do make great TV, not everything great is American, as some would have you believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Oh, I've been a Drama watcher regularly since it came on air, and have seen some fantastic productions I'd never seen when they were originally broadcast, particularly the ITV ones like Mayor of Casterbridge - absolutely FANTASTIC! Again, an excellent ensemble cast. :cool:

I also enjoyed the recent repeat of Fingersmith that was better second time around. I think because I watched in isolation, devoid of hype and publicity, like when these series were originally broadcast.

But definitely State of Play is stonking good political drama, stunning writing, cast and gripping tension. I can't remember what happens at the end, so I'm looking forward to the final episode next Wednesday. :cool:

So many of these writers and actors are now working in America, it's a shame, and a great loss to British Television.
    But a reminder that yes, we do make great TV, not everything great is American, as some would have you believe.

Did you see the repeats of Tipping the Velvet a few months back? And I'm really glad Rumpole, Touching Evil and A Bit of a Do are getting repeats too. I'd never seen any of these before so I love the Drama channel! Let's hope they acquire Edge of Darkness and other quality series from years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you see the repeats of Tipping the Velvet a few months back? And I'm really glad Rumpole, Touching Evil and A Bit of a Do are getting repeats too. I'd never seen any of these before so I love the Drama channel! Let's hope they acquire Edge of Darkness and other quality series from years ago.

Sadly I missed the first 2 hour chunk of Tipping The Velvet, but saw the 2nd episode and really enjoyed it, wish I'd seen the whole thing again. Those Sarah Walters dramatizations are so good, much better than they were given credit for first time round with all the tabloid titilation. I wish the BBC would make another one of her books, such great storytelling.

Would love to see Edge of Darkness again, though would be sad with Bob Peck having passed away. :( I see Hollywood made a movie of it with Mel Gibson :rolleyes: the way they did with State of Play. Why do they have to remake everything? It's ridiculous! :p

Another I'd love to see again is Between The Lines with Neil Pearson, that was brilliant! :cool:
    These quality series really do hold up well a decade later. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great, until the end. Like a lot of programmes and films. They resolve issues too tidily.

I'd have to disagree with you there, I was totally shocked at the ending last night! Even hard bitten Cal was stunned and couldn't press the button to let the presses roll on their article, he was practically dumbstruck. :eek:

This was definitely John Sim and especially David Morrisey's best ever acting performances, truly brilliant, with a great script and lots of tension. :cool:

Quality political drama. Incase you missed the final episode, it's repeated next Tuesday night on Drama. I Love the Drama channel! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loved it! Great acting from all of the cast. I can't believe I missed this the first time round, it's my sort of series!