Still using Windows 98 in Bulgaria

13»

Comments

• Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    That sounds more like the particular department you were based in has management issues to be honest. My workplace have banned printers altogether with exceptions only given to the few that have a legitimate business case. The desktop PCs are a standard configuration with negotiated pricing but if the user's applications can be delivered through TS/Citrix/Hyper-V/ they generally get a thin client where possible.

Re: spending the money before it is taken off them. Yes this is correct but the budget for the PC would have come from the service area rather than the ICT department. You can't blame your ex-boss for that one i'm afraid.

Well he wasnt my boss, we were contracted for 6 weeks work. It didn't bother me as such, I mean more money for the company I was working with at the time so in some ways it helps me. But it just seemed like he was more intent on buying lots of stuff rather than getting the right stuff for what was needed.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows NT came out in the early 90s. The first version (NT 3.51) came out in 1993 and then NT4 came out in 1996. Did the computer at the council have a Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 UI (did it have Program Manager or the Start menu)?

I am sure it was 3.1, but its going back a bit. It was Superbase v2, I remember that it had been YEARS since I had seen it running on anything, I wasnt really sure how to use it as it was a bit before my time. Simple to use though, but it was a a giant database, and it wasnt clear how to export the data into a file format a new OS could work with. Got it sorted in the end though, but it was a bit of a pain (no usb sockets, it didnt have a network card so we ended up sticking an old IDE CD burner in and burning a disc with the data on, was a right pain in the behind haha)
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »

mind you, the NHS has 677,000 XP machines still in use

Ineffective NHS I.T Managers.

Probably been at work with feet up on desk taking it easy. Now running around like headless chickens trying to resolve the problem - serves them right.

The end of life date has been known for years so there is really no excuse - especially in business.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Windows 98 is still very usable, even for internet browsing (opera), and certainly for general computery things, video watching, music playing and many older, classic games. I wouldn't do internet banking or the like on such a machine though, I have no idea how vulnerable it is.

My experience with vista was poor, it had some ridiculous bugs. I went back to XP quite quickly, now running 7, which is somewhat better than windows 98/XP/Vista...not interested in windows 8...or 9...:P

A friend of my dad's has a Windows 98 PC and an XP one. He still uses 98 with dial up internet :eek: I wouldn't use 98 for anything any more except nostalgia and classic games that didn't play on my Mac's Windows 7 partition, but that seems to be rare. I play a lot of XP era games on it with no problems. I have very fond memories of Windows 98 as it was the first Windows I ever used :cool: And I hate Vista, it sucks more than a hoover :D