EE casting choices: Rebecca/Cindy

Olay257Olay257 Posts: 341
Forum Member
I'm not writing this article to criticise the casting choices of Rebecca and Cindy. In fact I think they're good actresses from what we've seen. I'm writing this article to comment on the ages of the actresses and the ages of their characters. Jasmine Armfield who plays Rebecca is 15 in real life but plays a 13 year old. Mimi Keene who plays Cindy is 14 in real life but plays a 15 year old. I think its clear Cindy doesn't look 15 and Rebecca doesn't look 13 so why did TPTB make that decision? Especially when you see James Forde who plays Liam is 17 in real life but plays a 15 year old kissing Cindy. A 17 year old kissing a 14 year old. That's like somebody in year 13 kissing somebody in year 9 (yes because James is turning 18 in July, Mimi turned 14 in September). That's just one example.

Views?

Comments

• flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,798
    Forum Member
    Mimi Keene's older than that. The video below (filmed this time last year) mentions that she's 14 and in year 10 so she'd be in year 11 now and be 15, nearly 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuu5qJh3rBo

I think in most cases they probably just go for acting talent over how old they look/are, as long as it's not too ridiculous of course! I think Cindy looks her age but Rebecca does look older than someone who's not long turned 13.
  • Olay257Olay257 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Type Mimi Keene age in Google. It gives you her date of birth AND age
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone could put that date, tbh, I think they cast sightly older children because they more mature for the role perhaps & also the older they are the more they can be used, I think there rules in place for how many hours children can do.

the use of older children isn't uncommon, the role of Lily Branning for example, she suppose to be 3 but i believe the little girl who plays her is at least 5 or older I think they've done this because she be able to do more stuff then if a 3 year old would on screen.

In regards to Mimi Keene I think she a good actress and if she is younger, then casting director must of thought so to take the risk, her kissing James Forde is not a big deal, she acting, doing her job unless there was something else then fine I would understand.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mimi Keene is 15 AFAIK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think mimi who plays cindy was 14 when she was in the school for stars or something show, and when she got the role of cindy, so should be about 15 now , and 16 soon x
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,680
    Forum Member
    I love Cindy Jr, great casting :)
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Cindy Jr, great casting :)

And me, she seemed a bit nervous early on but her scenes with Lucy especially have been excellent.
  • Olay257Olay257 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    They're both talented actresses. Cindy might be the new Janine Butcher I think. She seems to play the bitch perfectly but also a misunderstood young girl with no friends who just wants to be valued and loved . You sympathise with her
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least it's not quite at Emer Kenny levels of crazy! She's a great actress, but her character was a good 4/5 years younger than she was and it showed!

I always remember her fight scene with old Lauren. They were meant to be the same age, but with Emer being much older (and old Lauren looking younger than she actually was) it just looked horribly mismatched! :p
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    At least it's not quite at Emer Kenny levels of crazy! She's a great actress, but her character was a good 4/5 years younger than she was and it showed!

I always remember her fight scene with old Lauren. They were meant to be the same age, but with Emer being much older (and old Lauren looking younger than she actually was) it just looked horribly mismatched! :p

I believe you're referring to this monstrosity of a scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-RZ3AGclL0

Yeah, Emer was like 20/21 there and the other kids are like, what, 16?