Obama: Cameron has no substance

pauli89pauli89 Posts: 12,874
Forum Member
✭✭
Obama: Cameron has no substance

Reports of Barack Obama's opinion of David Cameron reached a new low this morning after it emerged the US president considered the Tory leader to have no substance. After meeting Gordon Brown and Mr Cameron on July 26th last year, President Obama is said to have decided that Mr Brown is "substance" and Mr Cameron is just "sizzle".

The comments come in today's edition of the New Statesman. There were originally communicated by one of President Obama's aides to a British newspaper journalist, but he had been unable to write it up after a frantic call from the aide to stop publication.

Today's news follows comments from President Obama last year in which he described Mr Cameron as a "lightweight".

More recently, President Obama's foreign policy circle have come to distrust Mr Cameron over his choice of Michal Kaminski as leader of the European Conservatives and Reformists. Mr Kaminski has a highly dubious past as a member of the neo-Nazi National Revival of Poland (NOP) party.

One Democratic party source close to the administration told the New Statesman: "Your assumptions about the beliefs of Obama's foreign policy team are correct – there are concerns about Cameron among top members of the team."

Meanwhile, David Rothkopf, US foreign policy expert and former deputy under-secretary for international trade under Bill Clinton, described attitudes in starker terms.

"I used to think David Cameron was just an empty suit," he said.

"But it is increasingly clear that the former PR guy… ought to be ditched at the altar both by the British people and by the Obama administration."

The Kaminski decision made Mr Cameron "an even more dubious choice to be Britain's next prime minister than he was before and, should he attain that post, someone about whom the Obama administration ought to be very cautious," Mr Rothkopf continued.

"A pillar of leadership acumen he ain't."

Political observers are expecting a tetchy period in Anglo-American relations should Mr Cameron come to power.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/foreign-policy/obama-cameron-has-no-substance-$1316792.htm

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Pot calling the kettle african american.

He's right for once though.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the OP have an opinion on this wholesale cut and paste job?
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would Cameron resign if he lost the next election?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Does the OP have an opinion on this wholesale cut and paste job?

Well its safer than posting bits of it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obama and Cameron are both weak liberals who'd say anything to get elected, promise the earth and deliver nothing. I dislike them both intensely, but I agree with Obama that Brown is better than Cameron (just).
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't give two hoots for what he thinks. It's none of his business and if Mr Cameron becomes PM Obama will have to live with it. In the meantime, he should keep his nose out of our business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I hear of Obama, the more I find to like. I quite liked Clinton as well. Democrats don't seem to be as evil as Republicans.
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no actual quotes of Obama saying anything at all, just "reports" from a left wing magazine?
  • DXBDXB Posts: 4,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the way that pauli puffs this guys gossip story - the fact that the author, James Macintire, is a contributor to LabourList just happens to be a coincidence..:D
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DXB wrote: »
    Like the way that pauli puffs this guys gossip story - the fact that the author, James Macintire, is a contributor to LabourList just happens to be a coincidence..:D

:D:D Thanks DXB, that's really funny!
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This tory has been posted twice at least, its been reheated more times then that as well with no direct quotes each and every time.
    It could well have happened, but its right up there with the Michael Jackson and Jade Goody stories without any hard facts.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very old news story and anyway what a surprise the Democrats support Labour as does the New Statesman. Obama's gift of a boxed set of DVD movies with apparently the wrong region code to Brown certainly show the esteem he holds him in.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This tory has been posted twice at least, its been reheated more times then that as well with no direct quotes each and every time.
    It could well have happened, but its right up there with the Michael Jackson and Jade Goody stories without any hard facts.

Which tory has been posted twice :D
  • lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You beat me to it gummy. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL. Well it can't be Cameron as pauli posts stuff about him far more often than that. ;)
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way this story could have less credibility is if Kevin 'Toilets' Maguire wrote it.
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Of course Cameron has no substance; he's just a pretty boy and a sock puppet, put up to appeal to the middle England, 30something ladies.
    The only heavyweight they've got is Hague.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like Malisma said.

Obama got elected based on the colour of his skin. He's a corporate filled empty suit, much in the same way Blair is and Camo is.

However the amount of times this story has been rehashed, debunked and popped back again, makes it even impossible to believe. More so the fact that Pauli has dragged it up again.

Seriously pauli no matter how much you try and smear DC, it won't stop people voting for the Tory Party in 2010, remember, we the electorate vote foe the Party, not the leader of the Party. ;)
  • WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or could it simply be that Obama thinks Brown will tow the line more than Cameron regarding wars, extradition etc, the former of which is perversely squewed in America's favour.
  • pauli89pauli89 Posts: 12,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This tory has been posted twice at least.
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Very old news story.

We all know, as stated in the article itself, that it was reported previously that Obama called Cameron a "lightweight".

Link please to the story where it was previously stated that Obama said Mr Brown is "substance" and Mr Cameron is just "sizzle"?

Or is it just your standard replies to discredit a story you don't like, the ones that are old and rehashed (and not the story itself as you imply).;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauli89 wrote: »
    We all know, as stated in the article itself, that it was reported previously that Obama called Cameron a "lightweight".

Link please to the story where it was previously stated that Obama said Mr Brown is "substance" and Mr Cameron is just "sizzle"?

Or is it just your standard replies to discredit a story you don't like, the ones that are old and rehashed (and not the story itself as you imply).;)

The story is old rehased news though tbh I couldn't care less what is reported or indeed what Obama actually thinks about our politicians.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauli89 wrote: »

A story that is from December:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2008/dec/03/obama-cameron-lightweight

It has two new "quotes", its the same story. Why should I have to provide a link to something which I didnt state?

Perhaps I should go and bump an old thread to the top of the page every other day, one that I started and debated in 23 hours a day...wait thats you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Whovian wrote: »
    Or could it simply be that Obama thinks Brown will tow the line more than Cameron regarding wars, extradition etc, the former of which is perversely squewed in America's favour.

Surely you mean the latter?
  • pauli89pauli89 Posts: 12,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A story that is from December:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2008/dec/03/obama-cameron-lightweight

It has two new "quotes", its the same story. Why should I have to provide a link to something which I didnt state?

Perhaps I should go and bump an old thread to the top of the page every other day, one that I started and debated in 23 hours a day...wait thats you.

The new story, is the new quotes. We all know what he said that previously, it says so in article.

So basically you can't provide a link because the new quotes have never been written about before.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been posted here before here as somebody said, just raking up old news

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=946062&highlight=cameron+lightweight