Cher's a better vocalist than Mary

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree OP. Cher's voice is softer, has a 'vulnerability' (as Dannii said) and is just generally nicer to listen to. Every song Mary sang, she screamed and shouted over it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clairebee wrote: »
    It's not to do with octaves etc

ALL of them can SING but they all sing in different ways and styles.

I like Matt cos I like the type of voice he has.

But other people like Cher cos she's of the moment and is trendy (ie will make money money money)

This thread is pointless, and you lot all arguing and shouting at each other makes you guys look SAD!

Now Go to bed you've got school in the morning! :D

I was responding to a comment that said Matt had more range and power to Rebecca, not saying range and power was all that mattered in singing. ;)

It's not even 6 pm where I am. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grim Rita wrote: »
    Even decent is stretching it. Having a voice that would need a whole bunch of digital enchancement to even be passable isn't what I thought this show was about, in fact I thought it was quite the opposite. Calling her a pop star is generous too. What does she have that any of the others don't? A 17 year old, middle-class white girl rapping badly to other people's lyrics isn't talented - it's sad.

Oh well, if that's the direction Simon wants the show to go in then not much anyone can do about it (even the voters haven't been allowed to get rid of her). I doubt Leona will be quaking in her boots any time soon.

LOL. You clearly know nothing about singing. Cher's a decent vocalist, she has good unique tone, nice range, good delivery. Not the most powerful of voices but it deff. stands out.

I'm going to bring up this thread again when Cher scores a number one next year. Hopefully you won't be so bitter and grim when the time comes and you can admit you were wrong. After all Diana Vickers did it, and Cher's got more talent.

Maybe she won't outsell Leona but she'll still have a successful career. :D
  • KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no alteration in dynamics with Mary. It's like listening to Brian Blessed played through a megaphone.

When Cher gets it right (like in the sing-off), she sounds lovely. When she doesn't (like in her Eminem/Rihanna song), it's like nails down a chalkboard.
  • Grim RitaGrim Rita Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy90 wrote: »
    LOL. You clearly know nothing about singing. Cher's a decent vocalist, she has good unique tone, nice range, good delivery. Not the most powerful of voices but it deff. stands out.

I disagree.
    I'm going to bring up this thread again when Cher scores a number one next year. Hopefully you won't be so bitter and grim when the time comes and you can admit you were wrong.

Cher getting to number one would not surprise me in the least.
    After all Diana Vickers did it, and Cher's got more talent.

So does my dog.
    Maybe she won't outsell Leona but she'll still have a successful career. :D

She'll have a mediocre one album wonder career, just like every other gimmicky artist who gets short-term exposure. If she can stretch out her 15 minutes for longer than the rest of the talent show fodder then good luck to her. I just hope she gets a good deal on her recording contract, she's going to need that cash in a few years time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    I've heard Cher do that talking thing but I didn't know she did singing as well. Must have missed that.
  • elouiselouis Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KookyKatie wrote: »
    There's no alteration in dynamics with Mary. It's like listening to Brian Blessed played through a megaphone.

When Cher gets it right (like in the sing-off), she sounds lovely. When she doesn't (like in her Eminem/Rihanna song), it's like nails down a chalkboard.

Lol @ megaphone

"MARY, coming to a pub near you!" tbh
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, it me who's doing the laughing now. Matt, more range? Surely you jest? I've seen people sing the notes Matt has to use falsetto for, using their full Chest voice.

Rebecca has by far the bigger range, well over 3 octaves (from low in the third octave to as high as an A6) and power.
    Cher's sung more than 5 notes. ;)

How can you possibly know that? Rebecca hasn't displayed anything like a 3 octave range in this competition! Amazing Grace ranges 1 octave!

I would also like to hear examples of male singers singing Matt's falsetto notes with a full chest voice. Plus, that doesn't increase their range, it equals it.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer Mary to Cher but I think that Cher has shown that she can sing. (I was not at all sure for the first few weeks)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol :D just lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    well cher sings almost as well as her mentor , i suppose thats good enough these days , mary was far better than her at the start , but did get worse/shouty towards the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    How can you possibly know that? Rebecca hasn't displayed anything like a 3 octave range in this competition! Amazing Grace ranges 1 octave!

I would also like to hear examples of male singers singing Matt's falsetto notes with a full chest voice. Plus, that doesn't increase their range, it equals it.

Rebecca's pre factor videos. I've heard hit her an A6. Of course, the recording has to be old b/c Rebecca is singing with much more confidence than she's ever displayed in the X-factor.

No it doesn't. For example, someone whose head voice starts lower, like B4, most probably has a smaller range than someone who's head voice starts higher like E5, if both singers fall within the same vocal class. Meaning, the singer's who's head voice starts higher, has a falsetto that could probably go even higher.

I've seen David Cook live, his head voice deff. starts higher than Matt's. and he rarely uses it.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebecca's pre factor videos. I've heard hit her an A6. Of course, the recording has to be old b/c Rebecca is singing with much more confidence than she's ever displayed in the X-factor.

No it doesn't. For example, someone whose head voice starts lower, like B4, most probably has a smaller range than someone who's head voice starts higher like E5, if both singers fall within the same vocal class. Meaning, the singer's who's head voice starts higher, has a falsetto that could probably go even higher.

I've seen David Cook live, his head voice deff. starts higher than Matt's. and he rarely uses it.

Well I'm just going to have to take your word for it - or not believe you! :p

I'm afraid there are a couple too many 'probablys' in your explanation for me to take you too seriously. Your range is your range - it goes from the lowest note you can sing up to the highest regardless of which voice you are using. Also, it doesn't matter what you can do - it only counts what you can perform.

Matt has displayed his range and Rebecca has not. It has sometimes been a risky thing for Matt to do - with his voice not being up to scratch this weekend, he has struggled badly with the high notes but if Rebecca even has them, she has not had the nerve to sing them. With her improvisational style, she has had every opportunity.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elouis wrote: »
    I don't care what you say, Cher's a better vocalist.

People just hate the girl cause they're jealous and she's "a chav".

I don't care about all of that nonsense. Cher has a nicer voice. Mary just shouts.

Cher's voice is poor. There's no power or strength in it and the affected 'wobble' makes everything she sings sound messy and off-key.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member

I’ve seen Rebecca’s pre-x factor clip in another thread about a week ago. There were nice screams that I think was used effectively in that song. However, to say that she can sing in that range, we need to hear her really singing a melody in that range, not just repeating the same note multiple times.

Let’s say, somebody can hit A6 but not F6, or G6; is A6 really this person’s singing range?

Rebecca has a good vocal range. I'm not saying she is not capable of doing it, but I won't believe it until I see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    Well I'm just going to have to take your word for it - or not believe you! :p

I'm afraid there are a couple too many 'probablys' in your explanation for me to take you too seriously. Your range is your range - it goes from the lowest note you can sing up to the highest regardless of which voice you are using. Also, it doesn't matter what you can do - it only counts what you can perform.

Matt has displayed his range and Rebecca has not. It has sometimes been a risky thing for Matt to do - with his voice not being up to scratch this weekend, he has struggled badly with the high notes but if Rebecca even has them, she has not had the nerve to sing them. With her improvisational style, she has had every opportunity.

LOL. I tried to explain it a different way but it ended up being two huge paragraphs. Let me keep it short. A falsetto adds range to your full/natural voice. The bigger your natural range is, the bigger your overall range will be once you add on a falsetto. Does that make sense to you? Or did I lose you again? :p

Anyway, I'll admit I didn't pay attention to half of Matt's performances (I usually fall asleep half way through:p) but judging from what I've heard of him, he can't go higher than an E5, AT MOST. Plus, I don't think Matt's displayed much range on any one particular song, either, so you cant' fault Rebecca for that. His probably range extends down into the 2nd octave, given that he's a male singer but I haven't heard him go that low. He's probably displayed two octaves, at most, on the show but his range is no doubt a few notes bigger than that.

Rebecca, has shown range, though. So I don't where you are getting that she hasn't. :confused:
  • Indigo_19Indigo_19 Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher is better than Mary.

Despite her yelping at the end of most notes like she has just stubbed her toe at least she doesn't have to shout everything.

Back to Tescos Mary, I hope they kept your shift open.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asitis wrote: »
    I’ve seen Rebecca’s pre-x factor clip in another thread about a week ago. There were nice screams that I think was used effectively in that song. However, to say that she can sing in that range, we need to hear her really singing a melody in that range, not just repeating the same note multiple times.

Let’s say, somebody can hit A6 but not F6, or G6; is A6 really this person’s singing range?

Rebecca has a good vocal range. I'm not saying she is not capable of doing it, but I won't believe it until I see it.

That "scream" was an A6. I know some people don't like that style of singing, but it's singing, nonetheless.

If someone can hit an A6, then unless they have no control over their voice, they should be able to hit any note beneath that. within their range. I think I've heard Rebecca go as low as an F3 in the clips I've heard, so Rebecca should be able to hit any note between an F3 and an A6, without any problems.
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're both mediocre singers :D. It pains me to say it but I would rather listen to Cher, although tehnically inferior, she's slightly more iinteresting in her song intepretation than Mary just belting out all the time.
    X Factor has unfortunately made the public believe a good vocal performance has to include a screeching climax. It doesn't..
  • mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Cher is a very weak singer but the last (no idea what it was called ) song she did was her best IMO.

I was wondering why she hadnt sung like that all along tbh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Cher is a much more interpretive and original artist than Mary.

The truth is - there are a lot of people out there with pretty good voices, just as there are tens of thousands of pretty good classical piano players. Handy for impressing friends and family, but not a passport to fame and fortune.

Rebecca is the only contestant whose voice is both strong and unique enough for it to be a real trump card. Whatever Matt's range and technical ability, his voice is rather generic. Mary is generic with added Shirley Bassey impersonation.

Cher has a characteristic voice, but it's not all that strong. However she has a clear cut idea of the artist she wants to be, a relevant contemporary niche to occupy, and a strong identity to project. Those are huge assets.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "They might say hey, HELLO..." :rolleyes:

wtf? She makes me cringe!!!
  • lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Cher very difficult to listen to, her diction is very bad, if you don't know the words to her vocals you just listen her making a din."Everytime" is my favourite Britney song and in my humble opinion she just ruined it.
    Mary should have stayed last night she is far superior to Cher at least you can hear the words and not just a din.

I have trodden on many toes I know, but that is just my opinion and you may have guessed I am one of the 'older' generation diction is important.

Sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree, Mary is loud aka, pub singer, karoke.

Couldn't agree more.

Cher, of the two should have gone through, she's hardly the worlds greatest singer but she is a viable recording artist, Mary is not. We've been here before with Michelle Mc
    Manus, both she and Mary had passable voices, but being a pop star is about charmisma, originality, edge, and in the shallow world we live .... looks.

Mary did well in the talent show format because she had a good story but if the purpose of the show is to find and promote a recording artist, Mary should not have been involved.

Susan Boyle, will no doubt be cited as the reason could have a long term career. In fairness Susan Boyle has a much stonger voice than Mary, she can be marketed purely on that voice. Mary just belts it out, i'm sure she'll release a few albums worth of Shirley Basey covers and make a decent living from touring and good luck to her, but there is more talented and deserving singers than Mary singing in pubs and on cruise ships and such all over the place.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Mary should not be on the show because she did not "look like a pop star", that in itself would not have been a problem, if she had a genuinely outstanding voice to balance it out.

But big and loud, does not equal good.

In my humble oppinion, the final 4 is so far from being the best 4 its hilarious. Away from the panto villain stuff, Katie had more charisma on stage than the rest put together, and the early exit of Aiden was a great loss for the show.

I'm also slightly confused why niccolo (was that even his name?) went so early, he seemed to be genuinely interesting but disapeared with almost no mention.....
  • MubMub Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    ...... However she has a clear cut idea of the artist she wants to be, a relevant contemporary niche to occupy, and a strong identity to project.

Do you seriously believe she will have ANY control over her career, while she's signed to Cowell anyway?

She doesn't do it for me, but I'm not the demographic. I agree that Mary had become shouty (trying too hard I think) and that she was always on her way this week. But when she's signing calmly, songs she likes, I think she's excellent.

Although, as Simon changed it to a sing-off one suspects that Mary would have beaten Cher in the public vote, which he'll have had an inkling from previous voting.