Options

Annie Lennox OBE?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
Forum Member
Good Lord, they will be giving one to Eliza Doo-Little next.

What a load of ol' tat.

Comments

• Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

What a load of ol' tat.

It's for her charity work in Africa
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a load of ol' tat.

Can you explain your post? It makes no sense.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More deserving than many who get them.
    At least we've been spared the farce of 'Sir' David Beckham or 'Sir' Simon Cowell........for now........:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how could they give an obe to a fictional character?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    At least we've been spared the farce of 'Sir' David Beckham or 'Sir' Simon Cowell........for now........:rolleyes:

I agree.

Regardless of personal opinion on Annie Lennox and her music she has done a lot of work for charity especially HIV/Aids and Africa. She has stuck at it year on year when many others would have given up or found a new bandwagon to jump on. She really does seem to care and it is nice to see someone using their fame to raise awareness for important issues.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how could they give an obe to a fictional character?

I think the Eliza Dolittle the OP is referring to is the pop singer who had a hit this year with 'Pack Up'.

I'm not sure what the OP has against Annie Lennox getting an OBE but Annie has done a hell of a lot of work regarding HIV/AIDS issues in Africa which is what her OBE is for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm no great fan of Annie's music but her charity work is commendable and done with so much more modesty than the likes of Bono etc......:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Frankie_boyFrankie_boy Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I would agree with her getting it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think she completely deserves it!!
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besides a culturally significant and hugely popular body of work from Eurythmics through her solo career onwards, Annie has been working for AIDS and HIV awareness campaigns, African relief campaigns, Greenpeace and Amnesty International for around 2 decades.

A few years ago she started the SING campaign and non-profit organization dedicated to assisting those affected by HIV and AIDS. She has also supported the 46664 campaign of Nelson Mandela's, Burma Campaign UK and many others.

OK OP, thats why most people think she's worthy of the honour, now why don't you explain why her receiving an OBE is 'a load of ol' tat'. I'll be interested to read what you say. Surely its not just that you haven't done the barest of research on Annie before you lambast her?
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Besides a culturally significant and hugely popular body of work from Eurythmics through her solo career onwards, Annie has been working for AIDS and HIV awareness campaigns, African relief campaigns, Greenpeace and Amnesty International for around 2 decades.

A few years ago she started the SING campaign and non-profit organization dedicated to assisting those affected by HIV and AIDS. She has also supported the 46664 campaign of Nelson Mandela's, Burma Campaign UK and many others.

OK OP, thats why most people think she's worthy of the honour, now why don't you explain why her receiving an OBE is 'a load of ol' tat'. I'll be interested to read what you say. Surely its not just that you haven't done the barest of research on Annie before you lambast her?

I bet the OP would struggle to name a Lennox song, let alone chapter and verse of her humanitarian work. I can think of few celebs who deserve recognition as much as Annie does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she iss doing her charity work for the RIGHT reasons. the reason being I did not even know she did it!!

A Heather Mills she certainly isn't.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no great fan of Annie's music but her charity work is commendable and done with so much more modesty than the likes of Bono etc......:rolleyes:

I agree. I never even knew of Annie's efforts until the news this morning. Bono can learn a lot from her. South Park's Bono episode had it spot on ;):D

I think Annie's Christmas carols album is a load of tat, but as a person she deserves this accolade ;)
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because neither of them have ever done anything for charity have they.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As have millions of others. Beckham and Cowell always make sure that the first pocket lined in any venture is their own.:sleep:
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very well deserved. I love Annie.
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As have millions of others. Beckham and Cowell always make sure that the first pocket lined in any venture is their own.:sleep:

As have millions of others.:)
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    extrememly well deserved, any chance this woman get's she always promotes awareness !
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she iss doing her charity work for the RIGHT reasons. the reason being I did not even know she did it!!

A Heather Mills she certainly isn't.

Me either I was like what? But sounds like she totally deserves it well done Annie. (not keen on her music though:o),
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Eliza Dolittle the OP is referring to is the pop singer who had a hit this year with 'Pack Up'.

That's not her real name though
  • Options
    lady*taralady*tara Posts: 19,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a load of ol' tat.
    SHE GOT IT FOR HER CHARITY WORK,AND IMO I THINK SHE SHOULD HAVE GOT IT FOR HER MUSIC AS SHE IS 1 OF OUR GREAT FEMALE ARTIST,BETTER THAN SOME WHO HAVE BEEN KNIGHTED OR DAMES IMO.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, she does "her bit" for charity in Africa.

She's on the TV and whatever asking for donations.

Hey Annie, how about donating some of yer millions to the cause, instead of asking others to donate.

Ricky Tomlinson recently donated £1million to a charity.

It was in Liverpool.

What the hell have you done for Ellon Annie?
  • Options
    Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought she'd accept such an award. In the 80s she was very much part of the anti-establishment. Since she's an ex-punk.
  • Options
    MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Congratulations to Annie :)
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    That's not her real name though

I know it's not her real name, the poster I was replying to asked why would they give an OBE to a fictional character. I presumed they were thinking of the Eliza Doolittle from the musical My Fair Lady, hence why they thought it was a fictional character :)