Options

Will Sensible People leave an Independent Scotland?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
Forum Member
I was thinking about the possibility of Scotland voting yes and what the outcome will be, higher taxes, job losses, etc. so do you think it would be wise to plan head for the consequence and leave Scotland for other parts of the UK?

My family lives there and is planning on moving to wales, if a yes vote is the outcome. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamie6747 wrote: »
    I was thinking about the possibility of Scotland voting yes and what the outcome will be, higher taxes, job losses, etc. so do you think it would be wise to plan head for the consequence and leave Scotland for other parts of the UK?

My family lives there and is planning on moving to wales, if a yes vote is the outcome. What do you think?

Fools.

Wales does not have free social care or free university education.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good, I'll arrange the transport for them.
  • Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ever the outcome of the referendum you will be allowed to keep your UK passport (I think) - so just carry on being British Scottish.

My in-laws are in their late 80s. They will be very sad to see the end of the United Kingdom as will many people all over the islands but of course they will not be moving anywhere.

Younger people, generally speaking, do not decide where to live by their dislike of the snp government but rather by jobs and where friends are. My advise to people living in Scotland who hate the snp is to try your best to ignore them and keep calm and carry on being Scottish Brits as best you can..A nationality is more a state of mind than anything else. There are many people, for example, who live in New Zealand, who think of themselves as British even to the point of still having UK passports.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Younger people, generally speaking, do not decide where to live by their dislike of the snp government but rather by jobs and where friends are. My advise to people living in Scotland who hate the snp is to try your best to ignore them and keep calm and carry on being Scottish Brits as best you can..A nationality is more a state of mind than anything else. There are many people, for example, who live in New Zealand, who think of themselves as British even to the point of still having UK passports.

It's the younger people, generally speaking who are the one's most likely to favour independence and see themselves as Scottish not British more than any other generation. It's a healthy situation and I'll be glad to see this absurd notion of Britishness as a nationality fade away until it's just a memory.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    It's the younger people, generally speaking who are the one's most likely to favour independence and see themselves as Scottish not British more than any other generation. It's a healthy situation and I'll be glad to see this absurd notion of Britishness as a nationality fade away until it's just a memory.

Why can't people be Scottish and British? We English have been doing it for years.
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Fools.

Wales does not have free social care or free university education.

Ahhh Scotland.. land of the "free". :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why can't people be Scottish and British? We English have been doing it for years.

People can if they want to. I know Scottish citizens who would refer to themselves as only British. I know lots of people would also refer to them selves as Scottish first then British. It just depends how a person feels. Most people just feel more Scottish than British. I suggest the reason for this is that Scottishness is distinct from Britishness in a way you don't see in England. In England it's very difficult to say what the difference is between Englishness and Britishness. To me the idea of the "British" nationality is simply the "English" nationality which is why I don't feel my nationality is British. I'm Scottish. Britishness in Scotland has always involved Anglicisation. I don't mind being called British in the way that a Norwegian is Scandinavian. In that sense each one of us. Scottish, English, Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh etc are British. However the simple fact is it's far easier for an English person to feel British than a Scottish person. England's is the dominant culture in Britain and it's England that has had the biggest of influence on what British, as nationality, means. At the end of the day I think most people in Scotland are happy to be called European, or British but their nationality is Scottish.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    OP, why would anyone move from Scotland to Wales? If you want to improve your chances of getting work then surely you'd move to a low unemployment region (relatively speaking at the moment) of England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can if they want to. I know Scottish citizens who would refer to themselves as only British. I know lots of people would also refer to them selves as Scottish first then British. It just depends how a person feels. Most people just feel more Scottish than British. I suggest the reason for this is that Scottishness is distinct from Britishness in a way you don't see in England. In England it's very difficult to say what the difference is between Englishness and Britishness. To me the idea of the "British" nationality is simply the "English" nationality which is why I don't feel my nationality is British. I'm Scottish. Britishness in Scotland has always involved Anglicisation. I don't mind being called British in the way that a Norwegian is Scandinavian. In that sense each one of us. Scottish, English, Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh etc are British. However the simple fact is it's far easier for an English person to feel British than a Scottish person. England's is the dominant culture in Britain and it's England that has had the biggest of influence on what British, as nationality, means. At the end of the day I think most people in Scotland are happy to be called European, or British but their nationality is Scottish.

England the dominate culture? Are you off your trolley? Have you heard of globalization? the Beatles were more a product of German Nightclubs, African music and Americanisms then anything else...

I'm trying to think of English cultural events that are popular in Scotland all I can think of is that nats call unionists "Morris Dancers".

I'm proud to be a Morris Dancer - William Morris founder of "Arts and Crafts Movement"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Morris

(yes he was born in Essex)

I'm going to give everyone in Paisley Morris Dancing lessons - oh wait they have already ditched their snp council..... They are self taught.

the snp could not organise a pi** up in brewery.

Come on you Morris Dancers - smash the snp!
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, I do not believe it will happen, yet everyone is talking as though it's a done deal. In the space of a couple of years I've gone from admiration for Salmond as the sharpest politician in Westminster to fatigue of his slimy pomposity. I think he's over-reached himself, and is going to have to answer some very sticky questions. His leap from base camp on melting icecap Euro to Sterling has not been elegant for a start. He has to be careful what he says about the BoE, as it will be they who will be tweaking the economic buttons of his "new" country.

The fact that, should independence be won, a brain drain will occur is beyong doubt. It's not rocket science. Nationalists will stay, along with most others, but people who do not want to participate will move south. That will innevitably include some wealth creators. If the union survives, nobody is going anywhere.

There's a line for the Nationlists to pick up on ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    England the dominate culture? Are you off your trolley? Have you heard of globalization? the Beatles were more a product of German Nightclubs, African music and Americanisms then anything else...

I'm trying to think of English cultural events that are popular in Scotland all I can think of is that nats call unionists "Morris Dancers".

I'm proud to be a Morris Dancer - William Morris founder of "Arts and Crafts Movement"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Morris

(yes he was born in Essex)

I'm going to give everyone in Paisley Morris Dancing lessons - oh wait they have already ditched their snp council..... They are self taught.

the snp could not organise a pi** up in brewery.

Come on you Morris Dancers - smash the snp!

Oh dear God give me strength.

The use of Scots language has become known as slang. When we speak properly we speak standard English. Our use of language became Anglicised.

We hear on history shows about The Reformation. I recently watched an Island Parish where it spoke about Barra and how Henry VIII's Reformation never reached these islands. Unsurprisingly the only reformation that could have reached those islands would have been the Scottish Reformation but everything comes from an English point of view.

Starkey's series Monarchy dealt only with the Scottish monarchs after the Union of the Crows in 1603.

At English footballs matches the England supporters sing the British national anthem as the English anthem without a second thought and flight the Union flag in support for the English team.

If an actor from abroad were to adopt a British accent it would never be Scottish, Welsh or Irish it would be British.

On the BBC news that is relevant to England only is reported on the 6 o'clock news as if it is national news for the whole of the UK. It got to the point where it was confusing in Scotland because you were hearing about what was going to be happening in the Health Service and it was only later we would realise they actually meant the English health service.

Coverage of England matches and the hysteria that ensues is never the same on the rare occasion that the Scottish team are playing in a tournament.

At any election it's the English voters who dictate what government the other countries get because there are so many of them.

When we watch television the drama's on the whole and the programming is mainly English from England.

I'm not criticising this for happening because it is to be expected when you have smaller cultures so close to a much larger dominant.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they live anywhere with a "G" postcode then good riddance to them.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just joined and the first post is a provocative piece of scare-mongering about 'higher taxes and job losses'. Obvious troll is very, very obvious.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the same amount of people would leave as left Norway.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    For every person who leaves Scotland, there will be someone from England wanting to move north.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see how many people from the rest of the UK would want to move to Scotland. If they went republic too and scrapped the monarchy, I might even consider moving up there. :p
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

Yeah their departure from the UK really caused waves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Yeah their departure from the UK really caused waves.

Probably a reference to Norway walking away from Union with Sweden.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Probably a reference to Norway walking away from Union with Sweden.

Denmark wasn't it?

EDIT: perhaps not...
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member

I suppose that if independence didn't work out well and Scotland became less wealthy and less able to carry on with its current level of social welfare it's the young who can and will leave for pastures new leaving the less able and the old behind.

It's quite a gamble really which could go badly wrong. On the the other hand it may be a great success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

I think it was roughly half the nation - most went to USA.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, first post - ask question - don't bother to reply to any of the answers.

I smell TROLL!
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an independent Scotland who would be Scotish? Those who were born there? Those whose ancestors were born there or those who happened to be living in Scotland at the time of independence?
  • Options
    BorderReiverBorderReiver Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    In an independent Scotland who would be Scotish? Those who were born there? Those whose ancestors were born there or those who happened to be living in Scotland at the time of independence?

Another example of the debate in Scotland being 25 years ahead of the debate outside it. This has all been gone into over and over again. It's the last option. In the event of Independence all permenant residents at the time of occurance would be entitled to Scottish nationality.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    I think it was roughly half the nation - most went to USA.

The mass Norwegian emigration to the US began in the early 1800s well before the union was dissolved, and was the result of agricultural concerns. It ended roughly 20 years after independence.