Options

Why hasn't Diana opened the show?

Comments

• Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    There's also the factor that people may miss the beginning, and only see a brief clip of the early performers.

Is there a list on here somewhere of where each of the surviving acts have sung so far (not just Diana), to see if any of the other acts appear to also have similarly 'cushy' slots? I may well be wrong, but Eoghan seems to have closed the show more than once?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Well lets face it, it has always been known as the kiss of death to go first and Diana as you rightly say has only ever been 4th once.

I also think that when Louis lost 2 acts in week one and two his act really needed to be wedged in the middle and I think they were most weeks at the start, JLS I mean.

I am afraid everything I read seems to point towards Diana wanted as the winner, which for me is an insult to the public. Let the public choose, and none of this bottom two rubbish at all, least votes OUT from day one. I am sure that way Austin and Laura would not have gone when they did. I do believe Louis's two acts would still have been out wk one and two as they were pretty dire.

Why has Cheryl chosen to put Alex on so many times in the earlier half of the show, to protect Diana I assume, the later on the more likely that people will remember the act, or wince to it as the case may be!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandorian wrote: »
    Maybe you should read your own thread more carefully?

I am terribly sorry I missed that one week. I must pay more attention.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    Is there a list on here somewhere of where each of the surviving acts have sung so far (not just Diana), to see if any of the other acts appear to also have similarly 'cushy' slots? I may well be wrong, but Eoghan seems to have closed the show more than once?

Correct, he is the only one to do so.

He has opened the show, though. Well, kind of, he was on about 15 minutes into the show after Mariah and an ad break.

If you weight the average position of each remaining contestant* then you get the following averages:

Diana - 0.7
    Eoghan - 0.7
    JLS - 0.6
    Ruth - 0.6
    Alex - 0.5

*simply divide the slot in which they sang by the total number of performers that night. For example, singing last in the first week would be 12/12 = 1. Singing 6th in the first week would be 6/12 = 0.5 and so on.

All the remaining contestants have tended to be in the second half more... perhaps because they are the most popular? Alexandra is the only one with an average, her score being taken down a bit by going first in week 2. Using that system, going first in early weeks works out at a lower number than being first in week 7 which is probably a fair way to do it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Why hasn't diana opened the show?
    because xfactor want top viewing figures and if diana went on first people would be changing channels in droves. they need talent to open the show to keep you watching!
    Diana is usually on in the middle when people are making a cuppa.
  • Options
    PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I am terribly sorry I missed that one week. I must pay more attention.

Good response. I always have respect for those that acknowledge their error.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    I hope she opens it on Saturday. She probably will as Cheryl is the only judge with 2 acts left. So, i imagine Diana will be first and Alexandra will be last. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandorian wrote: »
    Good response. I always have respect for those that acknowledge their error.

My own fault for trying to write a commentary for my Creative Writing at the same time. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she opens it on Saturday. She probably will as Cheryl is the only judge with 2 acts left. So, i imagine Diana will be first and Alexandra will be last. :)

Although one of Cheryl's acts opened last week, so I wouldn't say that is certain. She'll be before Alexandra and in the first half though, unless they finally give her the closing slot.

It also very much depends what the running times of the show are and what times Merlin finishes and Casualty starts.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so crucial from now on, as they all sing twice.
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Because its been fixed for her to win. Allegedly.

If they put her on first we'll forget her (some of us do anyway).

It's all Diana-hype a gogo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Neither JLS nor Ruth have sung first either and both of them have performed last.

Well now we know either JLS or Ruth will sing first this Saturday. ;)

If the Chosen One opens I will run through Trafalgar Square (and its two fountains) naked.
  • Options
    PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    chum wrote: »
    Well now we know either JLS or Ruth will sing first this Saturday. ;)

If the Chosen One opens I will run through Trafalgar Square (and its two fountains) naked.

Good post. You are really showing your pedigree, chum. ;):D
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why has Cheryl chosen to put Alex on so many times in the earlier half of the show, to protect Diana I assume, the later on the more likely that people will remember the act, or wince to it as the case may be!!

I don't think it's Cheryl's decision, is it? Don't Simon and the producers decide the running order?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KBBJ wrote: »
    I don't think it's Cheryl's decision, is it? Don't Simon and the producers decide the running order?

It will be the producers who will be working a bit with ITV schedulers to organise adverts and such like in a way that allows them to maximise ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be the producers who will be working a bit with ITV schedulers to organise adverts and such like in a way that allows them to maximise ratings.

Ta. I didn't think it was the judges' call. Rachel was up against the 10-minute lottery show, and I don't believe that was an accident.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KBBJ wrote: »
    Ta. I didn't think it was the judges' call. Rachel was up against the 10-minute lottery show, and I don't believe that was an accident.

She actually had the joint peak audience of 12.2m for the last few minutes of her slot (11.79m for the first 5 minutes). The show typically peaks when Merlin ends and then goes downhill as Casualty starts. This week was fairly unusual in that the audience held into the start of Casualty at 12.2m.

It's always a dramatic, much talked about or talented act that performs when the competition (Merlin or Strictly Come Dancing) is finishing on BBC1. Last year, it was nearly always either Rhydian or Same Difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct, he is the only one to do so.

He has opened the show, though. Well, kind of, he was on about 15 minutes into the show after Mariah and an ad break.

If you weight the average position of each remaining contestant* then you get the following averages:

Diana - 0.7
    Eoghan - 0.7
    JLS - 0.6
    Ruth - 0.6
    Alex - 0.5

*simply divide the slot in which they sang by the total number of performers that night. For example, singing last in the first week would be 12/12 = 1. Singing 6th in the first week would be 6/12 = 0.5 and so on.

I did these calculations before. After last show:

Diana - 0.73
    Eoghan - 0.68
    JLS - 0.63
    Ruth - 0.58
    Alex - 0.48
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She actually had the joint peak audience of 12.2m for the last few minutes of her slot (11.79m for the first 5 minutes). The show typically peaks when Merlin ends and then goes downhill as Casualty starts. This week was fairly unusual in that the audience held into the start of Casualty at 12.2m.

It's always a dramatic, much talked about or talented act that performs when the competition (Merlin or Strictly Come Dancing) is finishing on BBC1. Last year, it was nearly always either Rhydian or Same Difference.

Very interesting stuff. Ta for the insight. I'll have to keep an eye on it next week to see who's on when what's on. :)
  • Options
    Official DivaOfficial Diva Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    We could also ask why Eoghan has sung last something like 3 times now and is it twice in two weeks that he has sung last as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could also ask why Eoghan has sung last something like 3 times now and is it twice in two weeks that he has sung last as well?

Eoghan sang last twice. If you see the calculations Diana had on average better positions than Eoghan.

She will open the show probably next week and close it like Rydian did last year.
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a Judge on Talent shows No 1 was not necessary a bad thing , We used to have to mark 5 categories with a maximum of 10 in each , most of us always gave the 1st on a basic 7 or 8 across the board , that gave us plenty of room to mark others up or down , even if first on was the best you had ever heard you had to be ready to find someone better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The point is how do you determine the most talented act in the first two shows. Diana aside, is Eoghan the most talented act this year? Is JLS more talented than Alexandra and Ruth? NO. The order should be rotated so all the contestants perform in different slots of the show so as to give them a fair chance to compete against each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a Judge on Talent shows No 1 was not necessary a bad thing , We used to have to mark 5 categories with a maximum of 10 in each , most of us always gave the 1st on a basic 7 or 8 across the board , that gave us plenty of room to mark others up or down , even if first on was the best you had ever heard you had to be ready to find someone better

It is not necessarily a bad thing as you said. However, viewing figures especially in the first 4 shows prove that those who performed in the first 20 minutes were at a big disadvantage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok let's say this, "Diana should go on before Alexandra for now on, fair is fair"! Alexandra has been on before Diana in every show, apart from week 3? and would have been mariah week but she wasen't there.