Antony Cotton - great performance

Comments

• Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    No need to hide from me

BIB. Why are you comparing him with the chap who played Wycliffe. :confused:

Why do people feel they have to exaggerate to make their point ?

Jack Platt Shepherd. A one trick pony in a suit from Mothercare

But what is their to hate ? I don't expect you to explain. Nobody ever does.

Sorry Sulla but BIB! However, your hyperbole is :D:D:D!!!
  • Options
    Jeannie_WilsonJeannie_Wilson Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    But what is their to hate ? I don't expect you to explain. Nobody ever does.

I've explained my reasons for disliking him on multiple occasions but you choose to ignore them, so there's really no point in asking.
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the posts above makes the reason that a mediocre actor is being praised absolutely clear.

"the Cotton creature" really?

He is mediocre verging on poor but the fact that so many people feel the need to resort to that kind of dehumanising nonsense about a bit part actor on a soap is bound to get some kind of backlash.

And who is forced to watch him? Gun to your head? Immediate family held to ransom unless you watch every one of his scenes?

The guy who plays Dev is quite possibly one of the worst actors I've ever seen, he can't string more than 3 words together at a time. I'm constantly amazed that he is employed in any role ever. Never have I seen him described as a "creature" or any of the other vile things Anthony Cotton is called.

Saw Anthony Cotton on I'm a Celeb, he didn't seem like a particularly nice person, didn't really like him much at all but as far as I can see being a bit unpleasant isn't really any reason for a person to be slated so hard and for so long.

So reign it in a bit, stop the Sean/Anthony is the worst actor/human being on the planet threads and there will be no need for people to even notice or comment on his slightly better moments.

You won't though because for some reason people seem to feel it is their right to be as horrible as they like about him, and a few other actors. I've even seen people being hated because they are apparently friends with him in real life.

It's all very strange and probably deeply rooted in something or other that requires some hard core therapy.
  • Options
    soapmadsoapmad Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he was a good actor we would not even be talking about the scenes he done last night .

The only reason why people are talking about him is because he should of gone years ago .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soapmad wrote: »
    If he was a good actor we would not even be talking about the scenes he done last night .

The only reason why people are talking about him is because he should of gone years ago .

As I said, he isn't much good really. There are so many other poor, and even ridiculously bad actors both in Corrie and the other soaps that people don't seem to be bothered by, why is he a special case?

Why do people get so het up? I mean is he going round putting dogshit through their doors? He is hardly ever on screen, go and make a cup of tea when he is. I wouldn't advise coffee, that caffeine might be too much for them.

ETA It's like when people bore on and on about Kym Marsh and her love life. Did she steal your boyfriend? Then rant away. If she didn't then what the hell are you getting upset about?
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    ally08 wrote: »
    One of the posts above makes the reason that a mediocre actor is being praised absolutely clear.

He is mediocre verging on poor but the fact that so many people feel the need to resort to that kind of dehumanising nonsense about a bit part actor on a soap is bound to get some kind of backlash.

And who is forced to watch him? Gun to your head? Immediate family held to ransom unless you watch every one of his scenes?

The guy who plays Dev is quite possibly one of the worst actors I've ever seen, he can't string more than 3 words together at a time. I'm constantly amazed that he is employed in any role ever. Never have I seen him described as a "creature" or any of the other vile things Anthony Cotton is called.

Saw Anthony Cotton on I'm a Celeb, he didn't seem like a particularly nice person, didn't really like him much at all but as far as I can see being a bit unpleasant isn't really any reason for a person to be slated so hard and for so long.

So reign it in a bit, stop the Sean/Anthony is the worst actor/human being on the planet threads and there will be no need for people to even notice or comment on his slightly better moments.

You won't though because for some reason people seem to feel it is their right to be as horrible as they like about him, and a few other actors. I've even seen people being hated because they are apparently friends with him in real life.

It's all very strange and probably deeply rooted in something or other that requires some hard core therapy.

The reason that there is a backlash is because of idiotic threads like this. Naturally those of us who loathe and despise him are going to react to someone who described "His great performance". :o

I still find it hard to believe that it wasn't created as a wind up, just so as to get the reaction that it has..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The very fact that you admit you loathe and despise both a fictional character and apparently an actor should give you a clue that you need some kind of help.

Do you actually know him and did he do something so awful to you that you feel totally justified in calling him a creature? No stories of how he told a friend of yours to jump off a cliff when they asked for an autograph or anything now.

I don't think I've hated anyone as much as you seem to hate this man. Real people that have really done horrible things to me.

If a thread like this causes spittle flecked rants from you I suggest it is your problem rather than that of the person who started it, troll or not they are not the one who is coming across as unhinged.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,975
    Forum Member
    The reason that there is a backlash is because of idiotic threads like this. Naturally those of us who loathe and despise him are going to react to someone who described "His great performance". :o

I still find it hard to believe that it wasn't created as a wind up, just so as to get the reaction that it has..

I'm pretty sure the thread wasn't created as a wind up, and I haven't found it idiotic. Perhaps more to redress the balance as there are so many nasty anti-Sean posts and threads on here? And to give credit where it's due, as Sean's acting yesterday was pretty good - I found his sadness quite convincing, especially at the church as others have said.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

KornerKabin is not a wind up merchant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the thread wasn't created as a wind up, and I haven't found it idiotic. Perhaps more to redress the balance as there are so many nasty anti-Sean posts and threads on here? And to give credit where it's due, as Sean's acting yesterday was pretty good - I found his sadness quite convincing, especially at the church as others have said.

If you consider that embarrassing exhibition last night "pretty good" then I give up, there is no point in even trying to explain that whatever it was, it certainly wasn't acting. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you consider that embarrassing exhibition last night "pretty good" then I give up, there is no point in even trying to explain that whatever it was, it certainly wasn't acting. :confused:

Please don't give up. Please try and explain. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The very fact that you admit you loathe and despise both a fictional character and apparently an actor should give you a clue that you need some kind of help.

Do you actually know him and did he do something so awful to you that you feel totally justified in calling him a creature? No stories of how he told a friend of yours to jump off a cliff when they asked for an autograph or anything now.

I don't think I've hated anyone as much as you seem to hate this man. Real people that have really done horrible things to me.

If a thread like this causes spittle flecked rants from you I suggest it is your problem rather than that of the person who started it, troll or not they are not the one who is coming across as unhinged.

I am a very well balanced person who has very few hates, I just loathe talentless characters like Cotton who infest and degrade what was once a great Soap.

If I need help, then I am just one of many in here who feels the same about him. I think that it is very healthy to rant and rave about the people you loathe or love, that is one of the benefits of this Forum.

Incidentally, I have been contributing to one of the most successfully threads in the Movie Forum, without a cross word. It is only in here and the Strictly Come Dancing thread that I feel the urge to vent my spleen. ;-)
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a very well balanced person who has very few hates, I just loathe talentless characters like Cotton who infest and degrade what was once a great Soap.

If I need help, then I am just one of many in here who feels the same about him. I think that it is very healthy to rant and rave about the people you loathe or love, that is one of the benefits of this Forum.

Incidentally, I have been contributing to one of the most successfully threads in the Movie Forum, without a cross word. It is only in here and the Strictly Come Dancing thread that I feel the urge to vent my spleen. ;-)

But and it is a big but, he is just a supporting character for the most part, rarely has his own storylines.

Get real he doesn't get the same amount of screentime as the likes of Carla, david, Kylie or tina.

If you think he is the problem with corrie I think you might need to reconsider that opinion because the writing and creativity creates most of their problems. In my opinion of course

No one is saying it is oscar worthy but he gets slated on here for breathing!

He put in a good performance last night so why shouldn't there be a positive thread about him?

This just reinforces my opinion that the haters need their own thread and then you can vent your spleen to your hearts content
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a thing wrong with venting spleen, I do it so often my own spleen has told me to stop because it's tired.

The problem with your posts is that they are so personal, and just random. You always refer to the actor rather than the character and the character is basically harmless. He gets one liners every now and again and has his boyfriends stolen a lot. That's it, that's all he does.

He folds his arms and strops a bit. So what, how is that destroying the soap?

Congratulations on not being outraged about everything and being able to comment sensibly on one thread. I believe I will give your Strictly comments a miss.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member

Top post Ally!!

I am no fan of AC's acting, and don't know the man so don't feel free to comment on him as a person, yet still bizarrely find myself constantly defending him simply because the level of hate against him on this forum is so ridiculously over the top that it transcends human decency which I find both irritating & sad & am not prepared to overlook without commenting!!
    Maybe I should just ignore it but then again why should I on a public forum that could be read by anyone inclluding members of Antony Cotton's family!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Top post Ally!!

I am no fan of AC's acting, and don't know the man so don't feel free to comment on him as a person, yet still bizarrely find myself constantly defending him simply because the level of hate against him on this forum is so ridiculously over the top that it transcends human decency which I find both irritating & sad & am not prepared to overlook without commenting!!
    Maybe I should just ignore it but then again why should I on a public forum that could be read by anyone inclluding members of Antony Cotton's family!

I feel a bit awkward posting anything about Sean - if it's positive there'll be a sarky response, if more negative people might think I'm part of the 'hate Sean' thing :D:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    But and it is a big but, he is just a supporting character for the most part, rarely has his own storylines.

Get real he doesn't get the same amount of screentime as the likes of Carla, david, Kylie or tina.

If you think he is the problem with corrie I think you might need to reconsider that opinion because the writing and creativity creates most of their problems. In my opinion of course

No one is saying it is oscar worthy but he gets slated on here for breathing!

He put in a good performance last night so why shouldn't there be a positive thread about him?

This just reinforces my opinion that the haters need their own thread and then you can vent your spleen to your hearts content

But it wasn't a performance, just a silly drama queen having a hissy fit, probably very similar to how he behaves in real life when he isn't the centre of attention.

The was a Cotton Unappreciation thread, but for some unknown reason it was closed, and his Appreciation thread was mostly packed with messages from the many who detest him. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel a bit awkward posting anything about Sean - if it's positive there'll be a sarky response, if more negative people might think I'm part of the 'hate Sean' thing :D:(

You do have to be careful. Even more so on twitter.

I made a sarky comment about Aaron from Emmerdale there, found myself being adopted by an insane Danny Miller hater who kept @ing me in vile rants to him about how he should basically off himself for the sake of the species.

It was so strange, I woke up to several dozen notifications about how I was a troll etc.

Took a while, and a few blockings, to sort the situation out. I even felt that I had to tweet Danny to say I wasn't involved at all and had never said a bad word against him. Wouldn't normally bother but he had been in contact with the original troll and seemed quite upset.

Social media, it's full of nutters. (Not me obviously) ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You do have to be careful. Even more so on twitter.

I made a sarky comment about Aaron from Emmerdale there, found myself being adopted by an insane Danny Miller hater who kept @ing me in vile rants to him about how he should basically off himself for the sake of the species.

It was so strange, I woke up to several dozen notifications about how I was a troll etc.

Took a while, and a few blockings, to sort the situation out. I even felt that I had to tweet Danny to say I wasn't involved at all and had never said a bad word against him. Wouldn't normally bother but he had been in contact with the original troll and seemed quite upset.

Social media, it's full of nutters. (Not me obviously) ;)

:o That sounds terrible.

You come across as very sane and well balanced to me :D:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o That sounds terrible.

You come across as very sane and well balanced to me :D:)

Oh I'm not, not even a bit.

I just don't viciously attack people I don't know in public. I save that for private. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I'm not, not even a bit.

I just don't viciously attack people I don't know in public. I save that for private. :D

Walter Neff should try this :cool::)
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ally, without any shadow of a doubt, this, along with your subsequent posts on this thread, is my personal POST OF THE YEAR, and literally everything I would have said if I hadn't been too bone idle to put together such a brilliantly accurate and articulate as yours. There is currently a standing ovation of one going on in my kitchen. :cool::cool::cool::cool::):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Walter Neff should try this :cool::)

As mentioned earlier, I am just one of many in here who feel the same, and surely it is healthier to let off steam in here than in person.

Cotton has been attacked in public by some of his detractors, I would never go that far, well not unless he got lippy with me. ;-)
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why it is anyone's business what he is like in real life. Some people are assholes, deal with it. I hate to think how these people cope with knowing someone in their life who is an asshole, as some seem to hold a grudge over Cotton allegedly not giving an autograph to some friend/acquaintance of theirs or not coming across nice on tripe like I'm a Celebrity, which is all manipulated anyway.

Even older characters didn't appear to have nice actors, it is nothing new. At least he isn't doing anything illegal or harmful.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know how long he has been in Corrie?

12 years

And he has done a couple of days acting during that

There's one reason why he performed last night. Kate Oates. Word went out to the directors to give him a kick up the arse. Hence the reasonable performance

Its not just the actors but the directors too who have the wind put up them...