Repetitive Music

Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
Forum Member
✭✭
Am I alone in thinking that "I am the Doctor" was a really cool melody, but it was used so often that I actually got a little tired of it?

It just seems like they're doing the same thing with the new theme. I'm not sick of it yet, in fact I thought that trumpet variation that played during the sky diving was great, and I've noticed some more subtle integration throughout the series as well.

But it seems to be the go to theme, and I'm worried it'll happen again.

I don't remember this type of thing happening during the RTD era. I could recognise action themes but I don't remember any of them being over-played.

So what's the deal? Is this a fault of Murrey Golds part? Is it the editing? Has this always been a problem, perhaps for budget reasons, and I just never noticed?

Maybe they should get a new main theme every series.

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're Doctor themes.

I think 9 & 10 got away with having less bombastic themes. But they were still used throughout their series. Arguably less "all-purpose."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H1wBoLw484

That said, I don't think 12's has been quite as intrusive as 11's became yet. I'm surprised at how little it was used in the finale, for that matter - got the most exposure in Kill the Moon & Flatline! Opting for a remix of Majestic Tale, instead.....
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love a lot of the melodies.
    But in the last two episodes, the music was cheesy and repetitive.
    Time for a big change in the music dept. for next series, imo.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Matt Smith's theme got on my t*ts!!! So over-used.
    I love Clara's theme though :):)
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I notice the music that much. But I have my TV set with clear voice so the music isn't so powerful, as I often find music in programs to be to in your face, or ears :p Though I knew the 11th doctors theme (which was great) I haven't recognised a 12th doctor theme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 12th Doctors theme is great... And considering that Murray Gold is now the longest serving 'known' member of the new series team I think he's doing pretty well. Composing music is hard. Composing incidental score is harder and some of what he's done is exceedingly clever.
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it shows we all have different taste because for me the current version of the theme is the worse since 1963. It's a complet musac boring version.
    I loved Murray Gold in the first years but he has become repetitive and boring. There are scenes were you need something else than an orchestra. Like in the scene in the cemetary when they all liftoff, the music was so predictably boring.
    Of course, it's just my opinion but Murray Gold should go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it shows we all have different taste because for me the current version of the theme is the worse since 1963. It's a complet musac boring version.
    I loved Murray Gold in the first years but he has become repetitive and boring. There are scenes were you need something else than an orchestra. Like in the scene in the cemetary when they all liftoff, the music was so predictably boring.
    Of course, it's just my opinion but Murray Gold should go.

Oh in meant his actual theme as in the one played during his scenes it just doesn't have a name as they didn't release the CD yet (or I didn't think so) .. Not the Series Theme rehash which is quite clangy and jarring and doesn't quite fit with how Capaldi feels as the Doctor.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange but I've actually grown quite used to the new opening titles music. :blush:

I hated it when I first heard it but it's grown on me.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    It's strange but I've actually grown quite used to the new opening titles music. :blush:

I hated it when I first heard it but it's grown on me.

I've grown used to it, but I still can't say I like it, try as I might. It was jarring when I first heard it but now I come to expect it, it's less so. I actually don't mind the first half of it, it's the second half that I don't like - sounds completely outdated. There was something timeless about the Series 1-4 themes. That being said it's wonderful to have some consistency again after Series 7 with its mid-series changes that were unsuccessful on both sides.