TalkTalk leave Vodafone and join O2

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
TalkTalk are to leave Vodafone and join O2 to provide their MVNO. TalkTalk will offer 4G through O2 but there seems to be a bigger game plan looming.
Although TalkTalk will initially act only as a reseller, in time it plans to augment it network by distributing new home routers to its 4.2 million broadband customers that will also function as small mobile masts. By routing calls and data via the new equipment, over its own small slice of 4G radio spectrum, it will aim to reduce its payments to O2.

Baroness Harding said TalkTalk was some years away from implementing the plan, however. BT is working on similar technology on a more ambitious scale. It aims to begin exploiting its 4G radio spectrum a year after the scheduled launch of its consumer network next spring.

Both companies are aiming to undercut traditional mobile networks and build their base of ‘quad-play’ subscribers, who pay for a bundle of broadband, home phone, mobile and television services.

Which makes interesting given recent goings on with BT!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11235094/TalkTalk-signs-deal-to-access-Telefonica-UKs-4G-service.html

Comments

• d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    TalkTalk are to leave Vodafone and join O2 to provide their MVNO. TalkTalk will offer 4G through O2 but there seems to be a bigger game plan looming.

Which makes interesting given recent goings on with BT!
    By routing calls and data via the new equipment, over its own small slice of 4G radio spectrum

Is that just poorly written? What 4G radio spectrum does TalkTalk own?
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's correct. They have 1800MHz concurrent spectrum. I mentioned it in this thread when they announced their change from Vodafone to O2.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75663882&highlight=#post75663882
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Is that just poorly written? What 4G radio spectrum does TalkTalk own?

Yes its not very well written but here is the missing piece of the puzzle which refers to Femtocells on 1800MHz.
    As well as future proofing its products, TalkTalk seems keen on launching a WiFi router that comes with a 4G femtocell built in. This should improve 4G coverage around the home for TalkTalk Mobile customers. Femtocells typically only support up to four devices at a time, making it ideal for families.

Ofcom says that its approved TalkTalk's use of 4G services in the home on the 1800MHz band, meaning it won't interfere with terrestrial broadcast signals in the same way 4G on 800MHz does. That's just as well, given that TalkTalk TV is a hybrid terrestrial-internet TV service.
    http://recombu.com/digital/news/talktalk-router-wifi-ac-4g-femtocells-box-free-tv_M12675.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its not very well written but here is the missing piece of the puzzle which refers to Femtocells on 800MHz & 1800MHz.

It's just 1800. As I mentioned above it's low power concurrent 1800MHz which quite a few companies have licences for including BT who've started using it recently for 2G One Phone calls. If you do a network search in Tesco you'll also find it (will probably show Cable & Wireless).

Here's a list of licence holders (Opal is Talktalk and C&W is now Vodafone).

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/mobile-wireless-broadband/cellular-wireless-broadband/policy-and-background/licensee-freq-tech-information/concurrent-spectrum-access/
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    It's correct. They have 1800MHz concurrent spectrum. I mentioned it in this thread when they announced their change from Vodafone to O2.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75663882&highlight=#post75663882

Oh, was this the 2G 1800MHz low power spectrum? Did TalkTalk inherit it from Opal? I hadn't realised it was licensed for 4G.

Edit
    Thanks japaul, I see you've answered while I was in the process of writing an answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just 1800. As I mentioned above it's low power concurrent 1800MHz which quite a few companies have licences for including BT who've started using it recently for 2G One Phone calls. If you do a network search in Tesco you'll also find it (will probably show Cable & Wireless).

Here's a list of licence holders (Opal is Talktalk and C&W is now Vodafone).

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/mobile-wireless-broadband/cellular-wireless-broadband/policy-and-background/licensee-freq-tech-information/concurrent-spectrum-access/

Sorry I've edited it now opps :)
  • sdduksdduk Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Strange thought BT was in talks trying to buy back O2 how will that work if O2 signs a deal with Talk Talk.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/24/bt_telefonica_talks_o2/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I've edited it now opps :)

Good job I quoted you then ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sdduk wrote: »
    Strange thought BT was in talks trying to buy back O2 how will that work if O2 signs a deal with Talk Talk.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/24/bt_telefonica_talks_o2/

I don't think it would change anything. Not sure I follow what you are asking. O2 and TalkTalk have already signed their deal. Whoever owns O2 doesn't change that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Oh, was this the 2G 1800MHz low power spectrum? Did TalkTalk inherit it from Opal? I hadn't realised it was licensed for 4G.

Edit
    Thanks japaul, I see you've answered while I was in the process of writing an answer.

Ofcom these days take a technology neutral point of view so they can use 2G, 3G or 4G plus 5G in the future.

All 12 companies have the same shared spectrum 1781.7 – 1785.0 MHz & 1876.7 – 1880.0 MHz
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom these days take a technology neutral point of view so they can use 2G, 3G or 4G plus 5G in the future.

All 12 companies have the same shared spectrum 1781.7 – 1785.0 MHz & 1876.7 – 1880.0 MHz

From the Ofcom list BT in effect now have 2 of these licences. If they buy O2 they'll have 3. Scratching my head wondering whether there's any point in having more than one. :confused:
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's a great move for TalkTalk customers. Vodafone's network is truly the worst network
  • RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    that's a great move for TalkTalk customers. Vodafone's network is truly the worst network

True, but O2 is only slightly better.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rush wrote: »
    True, but O2 is only slightly better.

but they will get access to O2's 4G network too which is pretty good. Something Vodafone hasn't allowed.
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really depends on where you live.
    At my parents house for example, the only network you can get signal on is Vodafone. So if they were TalkTalk customers (they aren't, they are on Vodafone) they would be very annoyed! Wonder if TalkTalk will be letting customers finish their contracts early because of this?
  • sdduksdduk Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would change anything. Not sure I follow what you are asking. O2 and TalkTalk have already signed their deal. Whoever owns O2 doesn't change that.

The point was would BT be willing to share their network with someone else if they brought O2
    I know they would have to for awhile but would they give tt notice to quit after the contract run out
    when BT owned O2 before they never had anyone else sharing their network with any other mobile operator afaik.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sdduk wrote: »
    The point was would BT be willing to share their network with someone else if they brought O2
    I know they would have to for awhile but would they give tt notice to quit after the contract run out
    when BT owned O2 before they never had anyone else sharing their network with any other mobile operator afaik.

Oh I see. It was just the way it was worded seemed like you thought the O2/TalkTalk deal hadn't been done yet.

I don't think you can read much into BT's history in allowing MVNOs as when they exited in 2001 there wasn't much in the way of MVNOs except Virgin. However you might be on to something in respect of hampering TT's quadplay efforts in the future given they are a rival in the quadplay space. I guess it's something that would be looked at before any deal gets clearance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted