Digital Switchover & Retunes: London (Merged)

Comments

• Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    I am unable to be in London tomorrow night, will it be possible for someone to report on the Switchover for us?

Is anyone able to put the London Switchover on YouTube on Wednesday night

If there are any more adverts or News Items then I will be publishing them here

Thanks

I was relying on you. :D
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that a piece of kit that currently carries ITV1 is being turned off, and another piece of kit that carries BBC2 is being turned off and back on again carrying ITV1 instead is truly of no notable importance. The only thing that is vaguely of worth recording is the disappearance of BBC2 625-lines Analogue programming from Londons airwaves where it has been since its original launch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Sorry if you've read this on another thread, but my nonsense probably belongs here, rather than there, so...here goes. This is what I've understood about DSO1 on 4 April in London:

Just after midnight BBC2 analogue is switched off permanently. Other analogue services are switched off temporarily. Digital Mux 1 (BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC News) is switched off permanently. The other digital muxes are subject to 'switching breaks' (i.e. very short switch-offs).

By 6am at Crystal Palace, 1pm at Ally Pally:
    -Analogue BBC1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are restored. ITV moves to the old BBC2 frequency.
    -Digital BBC A Mux is launched, restoring digital BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC News. On some transmitters, this will be a temporary frequency and will move again on 18 April.

That was thanks to this, which PhilH36 kindly posted: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/transmitt..._1_0_FINAL.pdf
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    urban469 wrote: »
    Sorry if you've read this on another thread, but my nonsense probably belongs here, rather than there, so...here goes. This is what I've understood about DSO1 on 4 April in London:

Just after midnight BBC2 analogue is switched off permanently. Other analogue services are switched off temporarily. Digital Mux 1 (BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC News) is switched off permanently. The other digital muxes are subject to 'switching breaks' (i.e. very short switch-offs).

-Analogue BBC1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are restored. ITV moves to the old BBC2 frequency.
    -Digital BBC A Mux is launched, restoring digital BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC News. On some transmitters, this will be a temporary frequency and will move again on 18 April.

That was thanks to this, which PhilH36 kindly posted: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/transmitt..._1_0_FINAL.pdf

Excellent, thank you very much for this :) very informative.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just after midnight BBC2 analogue is switched off permanently. Other analogue services are switched off temporarily

I'm reliably informed we can expect analogues to start vanishing at 00:20, and be gone by 00:30

Looking at the Radio Times, I'd say

BBC 2. 00:20
    BBC 1. 00:25

From previous DSOs, BBC services have mostly vanished at programme junctions, however ITV and 4 don't seem to give a monkeys, so

ITV. 00:27
    C4. 00:30

Are Corals giving odds on all this? :D
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging by the recent London tests, high power digital at CP will appear shortly afterwards. I hope your sources can confirm this too.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    You can now find out more about the Switchover Here
    http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051981
    Forum Member

The Link does not work
    Try this one instead http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/transmitternetwork/tools__and__resources/almanac/installer_newsletters_transmitter_groups2009_pdfs/London_Crystal_Palace_1MO_1_0_FINAL.pdf
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we're now into the last full day of analogue transmissions from Crystal Palace......

Josh,the link in my original post works fine,urban469 must have copied it wrongly.
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    The fact that a piece of kit that currently carries ITV1 is being turned off, and another piece of kit that carries BBC2 is being turned off and back on again carrying ITV1 instead is truly of no notable importance.
    Apparently (from something I read on another forum) that's not how it's going to work.

Instead of just feeding ITV into BBC2's transmitter, the changeover will be done by retuning ITV's transmitter to the new frequency. Something to do with differences in the setup between the ex-IBA transmitters and the BBC ones making it easier to do it that way

Kargo wrote:
    So really its ITV 1 to watch tomorrow then as thats switching off permanently? Will BBC 2 just jump straight to ITV 1?
    As others have said it's the other way round. It won't just 'jump' from one to the other, as I say it's not just a case of switching the video input over. But even if it was they would still take it off air as work is taking place plumbing in the new high power digital TX and disconnecting the BBC analogue one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently (from something I read on another forum) that's not how it's going to work.

Instead of just feeding ITV into BBC2's transmitter, the changeover will be done by retuning ITV's transmitter to the new frequency. Something to do with differences in the setup between the ex-IBA transmitters and the BBC ones making it easier to do it that way

Yes, a 'transmitter' is in two main sections. There's the input processing racks called TIE (BBC name) or PIE (IBA name) . These contain the equipment such as apology caption boxes, sound in sync decoders, NICAM coders, RBS receivers, and telemetry and remote control equipment.

The BBC and IBA employed different methods for the delivery of signals to the transmitter sites, so the architecture of the PIE/TIE was often different.

After that stage, then the video, audio, and NICAM signals hit modulators, that produce RF or IF outputs at low power, these are then fed into the main linear amplifiers, large cabinets with tubes, Klystrons, or (for more some more recent stuff) solid state arrays.

My understanding is the cross over for channel swaps occurs at that initial RF/IF stage.

Not the case everywhere though. At Angus, all that was done was to retune the BBC 2 RBL receivers that were looking at Durirs, to STV. There is normally a main and standby, so the standby was re-tuned first, and 'flipped over' while the main receiver was retuned. The effect for the viewer was an instant change of BBC 2 to STV.

I'm told that also happened at a couple of Welsh sites, that were RBL (rather than line) fed.

At Belmont where BBC 1 and 2 swapped, it was a case of retuning the RBS receivers looking at Emley, while the BBC 1 and 2 input feeds were repatched.
    Forum Member
    On London Today during Daybreak this morning they mentioned the Digital Switchover and they said that we will lose BBC2 tomorrow morning,
    I could not capture it as I did not know it was on, it only lasted a few seconds

If you do not Retune your Analogue TV tomorrow then ITV will appear on Button 2 and ITV on BUTTON 3 will disapear completely,
    meaning you still get BBC2 (Button 2) and ITV analogue (Button 3) will disapear/will have a snowy picture on Analogue sets and a Blank Screen on Flat Screen TVs

Also there is a big story about it here on Digital Spy
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...alogue-tv.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er,there shouldn't be any need to retune an ANALOGUE tv...............you do post some nonsense sometimes Josh.
    Forum Member
    So you will have ITV on Button 2 and a Snowy Picture/Blank Screen on Button 3 then

I for one will Retune my TV so BBC2 Button 2 is a Snowy Picture and ITV On Button 3 will be ITV with NO Snowy Picture/Blank Screen
    Forum Member
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you can retune your analogue tv if you want but if anyone still using analogue can't remember to go to button 2 instead of 3 if they want ITV for the next two weeks then I feel sorry for them. If it was for a longer period then I might agree,but for two weeks it doesn't really seem worth bothering with.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also there is a big story about it here on Digital Spy
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...alogue-tv.html
    No there isn't, that link is mangled (must have been copied from another post).
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Well you can retune your analogue tv if you want but if anyone still using analogue can't remember to go to button 2 instead of 3 if they want ITV for the next two weeks then I feel sorry for them. If it was for a longer period then I might agree,but for two weeks it doesn't really seem worth bothering with.
    I guess it makes sense to retune a VCR if you use it for analogue, otherwise I agree.
    Forum Member
    It was not from another Post, I copied it and Paste it from the Address Bar on my web Browser - Internet Explorer

Here is the Link again, something must of happened to it
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a374530/london-to-bid-farewell-to-analogue-tv.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by the recent London tests, high power digital at CP will appear shortly afterwards. I hope your sources can confirm this too.

Analogues are expected back, (inc ITV on Ch 33) around an hour later, so 01:30 to 02:00 ish. PSB 1 should pop up around then too.

You'll be pleased to learn Ray, that Croydon's back up kit, will play no part tonight. C5 analogue will of course remain on air through out.
    Forum Member
    London Tonight will have a special programme at 6pm tonight on the Digital Switchover with Glen Goodman

I will be putting this announcement on YouTube shortly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London Tonight will have a special programme at 6pm tonight on the Digital Switchover with Glen Goodman

I will be putting this announcement on YouTube shortly

What will that consist of, the entire afternoon's output of ITV 1, for the sake of 5 seconds worth of footage ?
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Analogues are expected back, (inc ITV on Ch 33) around an hour later, so 01:30 to 02:00 ish. PSB 1 should pop up around then too.

You'll be pleased to learn Ray, that Croydon's back up kit, will play no part tonight. C5 analogue will of course remain on air through out.

Many thanks. As there will no doubt be many duplicate reports about CP tonight, I'll be covering Guildford on Twitter from @bsaoc. I'll be monitoring CP from here but not reporting. If there is not much traffic I'll report Guildford & Reigate here and a summary in the morning.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    Yea right, plenty of those in use all over London that the public need to be made aware of ! :rolleyes:

That was to show that any TV set of any age can be converted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks. As there will no doubt be many duplicate reports about CP tonight, I'll be covering Guildford on Twitter from @bsaoc. I'll be monitoring CP from here but not reporting. If there is not much traffic I'll report Guildford & Reigate here and a summary in the morning.

Yes, I'm going to keep schtum over CP too, but I will be keeping an eye on Hannington, and reporting over in the Meridian thread on the power-up and move to the S1 array of COM 5 (Arq A).